Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
I can't believe anyone out there thinks Townsend isn't getting ENOUGH wild cards. She's had them coming out of her ears for her whole ITF career. And WTT should count for nothing.

Vondrousova isn't in top form but she's had so few opportunities in her career for a player of her talent that I wouldn't begrudge her this one.

Mattek-Sands is just a waste of a WC at this point.
I said nothing about her past WC's when she may have not deserved them...but she clearly is deserving at this time.

There are plenty of other talented players at Vondrousova's level that have produced similar results...if not for the sponsor/connection she wouldn't be on the radar.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I said nothing about her past WC's when she may have not deserved them...but she clearly is deserving at this time.

There are plenty of other talented players at Vondrousova's level that have produced similar results...if not for the sponsor/connection she wouldn't be on the radar.
She's not clearly deserving of anything. She's an overranked ITF vulture who only has a handful of wins at WTA level.

What other players of Vondrousova's age have won a WTA title and been ranked in the top 50? And let us not make out that Vondrousova is some privileged girl getting handouts left and right when she had to kill herself going through ITF qualies every week to get where she is, unlike most American juniors.

·
Registered
721 Posts
She's not clearly deserving of anything. She's an overranked ITF vulture who only has a handful of wins at WTA level.

What other players of Vondrousova's age have won a WTA title and been ranked in the top 50? And let us not make out that Vondrousova is some privileged girl getting handouts left and right when she had to kill herself going through ITF qualies every week to get where she is, unlike most American juniors.
If she is that talented then she would be back in the top 50 on her own accord...without handouts.

Would you expect a Czech tourney to handout a WC to Bellis next year? I guess if she has an agency connection it would be fine.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
If she is that talented then she would be back in the top 50 on her own accord...without handouts.

Would you expect a Czech tourney to handout a WC to Bellis next year? I guess if she has an agency connection it would be fine.
Vondrousova has had several minor injuries over the past year that have contributed to her rankings slide. She's now got several months of nothing to defend and should rise back up. But at least she has been in the top 50, unlike Townsend at three years older. Why do you expect non-Americans to rise up without handouts to prove their talent, but not Americans?

I don't think any player should be privileged just because they happen to be born on a certain patch of land, and the point is that there is only one Czech tournament that even exists, which is why a Vondrousova WC here is redressing an inequality rather than perpetuating it.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Other Czech players have done just fine...probably the best success per capita of any nation over the past 5-10 yrs. My point is you just dont see other nations giving wc's very often to non-native players. Even if you take away nations with only one tourney...is Spain, France, China, Russia, Australia giving wc's to non-natives besides the reciprocals? Not often if ever.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Other Czech players have done just fine...probably the best success per capita of any nation over the past 5-10 yrs. My point is you just dont see other nations giving wc's very often to non-native players. Even if you take away nations with only one tourney...is Spain, France, China, Russia, Australia giving wc's to non-natives besides the reciprocals? Not often if ever.
That's why we should be thankful when tournaments buck that nationalistic trend.

Plenty of tournaments give non-native WCs, anyway. Miami every year. Top juniors like Yastremska and Lapko have had a few WTA WCs (Istanbul, 's-Hertogenbosch). On the ATP, Tsitsipas and Rublev both got a few overseas WCs. It's much better to support top overseas talent than local scrubs.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts