Tennis Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
3,730 Posts
korben said:
Like finns could beat U.S. in anything ? (except ice-hockey and mobilephone manufacturing....)
Chin up, korben, Finland is growing by leaps and bounds in the sporting world, led by none other than Jarkko Nieminen in tennis :) Come join us at The Tennis Cult and join the Finnish fan club :cool:

But, I get your point. And I agree. After this present generation of American players, there aren't very many exciting prospects coming up the ranks. Russia and the Ukraine are certainly churning out a bunch of promising young girls and could very well be the next country to dominate the rankings :)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,730 Posts
korben said:
Jarkko Nieminen, boys champion at US Open 1999 :D
Beat me to it ;) Don't mess with Finland! Go Jarkko! :D
 

· Registered
Joined
·
17,958 Posts
Informative said:
Get real and wake up korben! Head-to-Head "the Russians" as you put it are collectively 2-55 lifetime against Venus & Serena ALONE. And I'm absolutely certain that their record against Lindsay, Monica, Jennifer, Chanda and other Americans is just as bad. Your point of view is not only DEAD WRONG but laughably ABSURD based on the actual, real EVIDENCE...WINNING is what counts in sports not a lot of bullshit talk. Until the Americans are actually consistently BEATEN by the Russians or the Belgians or whatever pretenders you or others want to parade on this board all you're doing is TALKING LOUD & SAYING NOTHING!

Hi. Welcome to the future. Most of the Russians are still developing, and while it is likely that none will ever be as much of a legend as either of the sisters, I think the point is that we are looking at the future, which deems all statistics irrelevant. Besides, you shouldn't tell anyone that their opinion is "dead wrong".

Cheers:wavey: .
 

· Registered
Joined
·
19,459 Posts
Diya said:
JENNIFER and Lindsay are still in the draw :rolleyes:

As in the long term , The US really doesn't have any really GOOD player who could dominate the WTA in the years to come (not that i am aware of atleast )
Did the Williams sisters die?? Or do you just not consider them Americans??
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,052 Posts
korben said:
I know. But care to tell who from U.S. of A is in Top 10 in 2008 ? My guess, still. None. But you should know better :rolleyes:
To be honest with you, I reckon that in 2008 the entire top ten could be made up of Soviets. Thats only if Venus and Serena Retire of course.

If they do then I think Sharapova will be ruling the tennis world at the top, with Kutuzova, Kuznetsova, Krasnoroutskaya, Zvonareva, Douchevina, Petrova and if shes is injury free and 100% commited to tenis - Kournikova.

more realistically, in 2008 I see the top ten players like this....

1. Sharapova
2. Serena

in no particular order....

- Venus
- Kim
- Kutuzova
- Justine
- Sprem
- Zvonareva
- Kuznetsova
- Krasnoroutskaya
 

· Registered
Joined
·
17,958 Posts
korben said:
mboyle :worship:

Have to disagree with those two. Specially Strycova, she ain´t that good. Played in juniors too long so got a career high in there. Better than Salerni (former no: 1 too) but still way off the best. Maybe "Coetzer" of the future. Best I see her reach is one or two slam semis/QFs and that is that. (Sorry Barbora fans)

And no 1 pick looks good to me. Although "old" russians or JH-H / Kim might have a good grip of that (don´t mension Kuznetsova, I got a way with it, once)
Yay! I have a fan:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: . I thought I was the most unknown common poster but someone actually noticed one of my posts! (that's at least a start ;) ) Anyways, I should have put another "insert russian here", but I had heard alot of propaganda about how good Strycova was etc., and I guess I bought it;) . However, Golovin is the real deal. I have seen two of her matches (both in Miami two years ago), and even back then she amazed me (until Sharapova took her out in the match that made me a humongous fan). I really think by 2008, Golovin can definately be a top five player.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
17,958 Posts
Knizzle said:
Did the Williams sisters die?? Or do you just not consider them Americans??
you know, sadly the sisters might not be around in 2008:) . Venus already has her own business, and I think come another year or two of tennis, and she might want to really start focusing on that instead of her career. Serena might get her "big break" in acting, and I bet you she will follow the money and take that (if it happens). Serena might still be around in 2008 (70% chance I think, and even if she is I would bet dollars to doughnuts she retires after the 2009 season at the latest), but Venus I am not sure about at all (I'd say 30% or less chance). To Williams fans: please don't look at this as an attack, and remember that this is supposed to be in 5-10 years, not a moment before. We are assuming here that the sisters have retired or are waning from the spotlight.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,426 Posts
I can see your point, Korben -- sort of. When you look at the up-and-coming American juniors, it's difficult to see a future No. 1. But in 30+ years of following this sport, I've learned that the next champion can emerge very quickly. A couple of years ago, people figured U.S. men's tennis would be washed up once the Sampras-Agassi generation retired. Then, out of nowhere, along came Andy Roddick, James Blake, Robby Ginepri, etc. Roddick is a genuine Grand Slam contender, potential No. 1, and the rest are a bunch of talented guys as well. In particular, Roddick came out of nowhere -- he wasn't very successful in the early part of his junior career, then suddenly took it to another level. While I think Carly Gulickson is enormously talented and the best of the current American juniors, I just haven't seen enough of her to make a good call on her future. I suspect, however, that somewhere today in America is another young girl who will rise to the top or very near it of the women's game. As for the Russians, they are indeed coming. In fact, they've been here for a good long time now. I'm all for it, and hoping that the pool of talent won't dry up and the tennis will get better and better. For me, the international flavor of professional tennis has always been one of the main appeals. That's why I usually root for the Dally Randriantefy, Cara Black and Selima Sfars of this world! And even for the Emma Laines and sometime back the Nanne Dahlman and Petra Thorens!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
19,459 Posts
Venus said she wants to play well into her thirties. They will probably do a joint retirement since they do almost everything else together. As long as they are healthy, I don't see them reitring before 2010.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
Informative said:
Get real and wake up korben! Head-to-Head "the Russians" as you put it are collectively 2-55 lifetime against Venus & Serena ALONE. And I'm absolutely certain that their record against Lindsay, Monica, Jennifer, Chanda and other Americans is just as bad. Your point of view is not only DEAD WRONG but laughably ABSURD based on the actual, real EVIDENCE...WINNING is what counts in sports not a lot of bullshit talk. Until the Americans are actually consistently BEATEN by the Russians or the Belgians or whatever pretenders you or others want to parade on this board all you're doing is TALKING LOUD & SAYING NOTHING!
Uhm excuse me but I think they are consistenly beaten by the Belgians this year? Didn't you watch tennis this year?
 
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top