Tennis Forum banner
7661 - 7680 of 7715 Posts

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Yeah, I agree. She looked good through most of the match. I wouldn't be surprised if whatever she was suffering from mid-match in Set 1 took a lot of emotional energy out of her.
Yeah but it was nerves / panic attack. Maybe a bit the heat / humidity, but nothing else. Physically she was more than fine. I’m glad she fought through it. Actually, after that moment (3*-4 in the first) she won 9 of the following 11 games. Overcoming this will probably give her confidence going forward. She struggled with heat in USO QR2 too, but in the end somehow managed to hold, then break, and win the second set 7-5. First set here looked similar. The opponent was also similar level.

In the next match she should be good to go if she plays aggressive and hitting through the ball with pace and purpose like she was doing in the last 4-5 games.

I think it was her nerves which hindered her at the beginning, preventing her from doing so. I mean she pretty much admitted it. Her interview was very honest. I’m glad she’s admitting that she feels the pressure because that’s the right direction to overcome it.

So, next time if she starts playing like in the last 4-5 games today, but from the start, she’s good to go.

There’s no other way around it, she needs MATCHES. That’s she only way she can build form gradually. The last 4 games of today are the place to start building on. I think if she has let go of the initial nerves we might see that kind of Emma since the beginning, next time. Then she’s in business.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Good morning everyone I feel very tired this morning. 🥱 It’s good that my job doesn’t involve things like driving a truck or being an aircraft pilot as if do I think I would fall asleep and crash! 😮😂 I hope everyone else is doing okay today. 🙂
Yup I am on second coffee, its not working yet

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Emma played well and aggressive at the beginning of both sets, then became passive and was punished for it.
But in the end showed her pure guts and champion mentality to win the tiebreaks.
She has the level, just needs to bring it out all the time and not only half the time.
It’s clear now it’s all mental. If you play very well and aggressive at times, and passive and pushing at others, it’s clear it’s a mental thing.
She can hit very hard attacking forehands but at times decides not to, and pushes.
She admitted she feels the pressure.
The good thing is that she was able to come through in two.
If this gave her the confidence to be able to stay aggressive the WHOLE match, and not only half of it, provided the blisters are ok, she has a more than decent chance against Samsonova. But Emma needs to stay aggressive during the whole match (if she doesn’t do it, she definitely won’t win)
This gutsy win means a lot for Emma mentally. Second QF of the year. Even if she loses, that will give her confidence for the rest of the hc swing. I can’t stress enough how big this win was. This was a BATTLE.
Also please remember the very tough heat conditions mean it was never going to be a quality match in terms of UEs / winners ratio.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Emma played well and aggressive at the beginning of both sets, then became passive and was punished for it.
But in the end showed her pure guts and champion mentality to win the tiebreaks.
She has the level, just needs to bring it out all the time and not only half the time.
It’s clear now it’s all mental. If you play very well and aggressive at times, and passive and pushing at others, it’s clear it’s a mental thing.
She can hit very hard attacking forehands but at times decides not to, and pushes.
She admitted she feels the pressure.
The good thing is that she was able to come through in two.
If this gave her the confidence to be able to stay aggressive the WHOLE match, and not only half of it, provided the blisters are ok, she has a more than decent chance against Samsonova. But Emma needs to stay aggressive during the whole match (if she doesn’t do it, she definitely won’t win)
This gutsy win means a lot for Emma mentally. Second QF of the year. Even if she loses, that will give her confidence for the rest of the hc swing. I can’t stress enough how big this win was. This was a BATTLE.
Also please remember the very tough heat conditions mean it was never going to be a quality match in terms of UEs / winners ratio.
If you think about it there have been a number of close matches this year that Emma has lost so let's take away a big positive that this was a close match where she held it together and won. 😀

·
Registered
10,932 Posts
Guess everyone here pretty happy. :cool::cool:only saw part of the match, both looked like they were giving it all,,,,long rallies. Good win for Emma, who looked stunning as always.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Just caught up on this one!
Trial by Osorio completed! Tick!
Nice to see them embrace at the end

Respect playing in that heat for over 2hrs 49mins. Just 2 sets! Thank god no 3rd set!

I recently played a local league match, 3 setter 2hr 45mins indoor carpet. Hot and not much ventilation but not Washington hot!
Several of my toes were bleeding after that. Def big respect these girls.

·
Registered
36,877 Posts
I recently played a local league match, 3 setter 2hr 45mins indoor carpet. Hot and not much ventilation but not Washington hot!
Several of my toes were bleeding after that. Def big respect these girls.
What an odd time of year to play indoors! 🥵

·
Registered
838 Posts
I was concerned that Osorio was coughing so much yesterday - fortunately tennis is an outdoor sport and Emma wasn’t too close to her except for that hug in the end.

Both of my kids are coughing and running A fever today after a possible Covid exposure at school (just found out about the exposure now, after they’ve both come down with a fever). I fear my husband and I are next. :(

Anyway, both of our kids were coughing like Osorio before they had any fever. My older son (the tennis player) and I were joking during their match, who was the one that was coughing the hardest, and we decided Osorio won that one. :(

·
Registered
Team Vika
48,015 Posts
I was concerned that Osorio was coughing so much yesterday - fortunately tennis is an outdoor sport and Emma wasn’t too close to her except for that hug in the end.

Both of my kids are coughing and running A fever today after a possible Covid exposure at school (just found out about the exposure now, after they’ve both come down with a fever). I fear my husband and I are next. :(

Anyway, both of our kids were coughing like Osorio before they had any fever. My older son (the tennis player) and I were joking during their match, who was the one that was coughing the hardest, and we decided Osorio won that one. :(
Are you from the US or just there now ? I can't remember if you had no flag or a different one before. And did your kids already start school ?!

·
Registered
Team Vika
48,015 Posts
From the US and also just visiting. We recently moved to Germany.
They are just attending a summer camp in a local private school.
Oh very nice ! I am from the US too but have lived in France for several years now and am actually in Germany right now for the night on my way back from the Austrian Alps. Whereabouts do you live ? That makes sense because I remember you talking about potentially attending the Stuttgart tournament.

Reactions: tennismomfan

·
Registered
Team Vika
48,015 Posts
EE owes Paula some flowers now after that EXCELLENT performance that helped ensure Emma stays ranked ahead of Coco ;)

·
Registered
838 Posts
Well, a disappointing match. However I was saddest right after she lost the first set and then I pretty much accepted she wasn’t going to be able to fight her way back. She literally had the thousand yard stare in the first changeover of the second set that my husband and I both noticed - for our kids it always comes right before they are about to pass out. She looked like a zombie out there, only sheer will kept her even on her feet.

i think she still has many positives to take away and be proud of from this week. Sure there are still things to work on. But it’s a journey and no one said it was going to be easy. If she didn’t pick up any new injury I’d be happy for her. She was arching and stretching her back in a concerning way. Hopefully a physio is still on site to help sort her out. And then a good night sleep will restore her to a better state for Toronto.

Emma likes to go sight seeing a bit at the end of each tournament. I guess she will probably go to the pentagon tomorrow morning. DC is a much more interesting place to visit than San Jose. But the blisters and horrible weather are not worth it. I suspect that after this she’ll go to San Jose in the future.

Actually thinking about the future I’m not 100% sure Emma will really want to stay in the sport for 15 more years like she says now. What happened at this tournament was physically so brutal for her. You’ve got to love tennis a lot to want to keep going with it. She doesn’t have to suffer this way. Not only was it physically absolutely brutal but in the end there was no glory. 24 hours later it hardly matters how hard she fought through her second round match (and caused her to be too tired for her quarterfinal match). I’m sure tomorrow’s papers will be very critical and dismissive - maybe they’re already starting.

7661 - 7680 of 7715 Posts