Tennis Forum banner
7461 - 7480 of 7565 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
^ agreed. I don't think the likes of Marino are a tough match up or Golubic for example. Emma would've won that match easily imo
people here are too down on Emma...if there was a stock equivalent for tennis players, then I would be buying ton of Emma's stock right now. She went from being slightly overrated to way too underrated during last 6 months.
Agreed. I watched again one of my favorite Wimbledon matches: 2019 final Simona vs Serena (you tube), in which Simona's defense skills, movement, and shot making from impossible positions were just incredible. She defeated Serena in less than an hour LOL. Yes, Serena did not play her best, but she was thoroughly outplayed. Then I watched Emma's match against Carstea (thank you xenosys) and guess what - her defense skills, movement, and shot making from impossible positions were strikingly similar. When you add Emma's ability to be very aggressive and her mental toughness then she has very good chances to beat anybody on the tour. It is just a matter of time until she will do it consistently.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
It's very quiet on here tonight, I hope everyone hasn't been kidnapped. 😕
It’s the calm before the storm before things start hotting up again before Wimbledon starts and if Emma takes an Eastbourne WC! 🌪 I’d imagine we’ll find out any day now about that too seeing as it starts in a week :)

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
It’s the calm before the storm before things start hotting up again before Wimbledon starts and if Emma takes an Eastbourne WC! 🌪 I’d imagine we’ll find out any day now about that too seeing as it starts in a week :)
Yes that's very true tennislife98. I'm glad to see from the message reactions that at least you, Papasoni, gbar23 and tennismomfan haven't been kidnapped. 😃

·
Registered
34,884 Posts
Perhaps off-topic but I found this gif of Emma v. Vogele at the US Open and it made me smile. Happy Monday :)

<iframe src="Animated GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY" width="480" height="300" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="
">via GIPHY</a></p>
Loved this. It was like she was doing a little playful dance at the same time. Voegele is stood there like ‘Gurl’ and Emma is chuckling away to herself 😂

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
the moment when i became a fan was more after she won the USO, but lowkey i was already cheering for her, i always love it when you get slam winners who come out of nowhere

but yeah she has very strong star quality combined with a very ''girl next door'' vibe going for her as well

• Love
Reactions: aca99da

·
Registered
736 Posts
Good morning everyone I hope it is really sunny where you are as well! 😎☀
It's sunny allright. But we have 300+ sunny days per year. Sometimes I wish for more rainy days.

And to be on topic, The british players have great results on grass this season. Makes me more sad about Emma, for sure she would not be the exception and could also have some great results if not for the injury. How unfortunate :(

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
It's sunny allright. But we have 300+ sunny days per year. Sometimes I wish for more rainy days.

And to be on topic, The british players have great results on grass this season. Makes me more sad about Emma, for sure she would not be the exception and could also have some great results if not for the injury. How unfortunate :(
Oh wow Papasoni do you live in a desert? 😮 Maybe we should swap location for part of the year so you see more rainy days and I see more sunny days. 😂

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello I'm new here

I've put my first post here because of the amazing welcome aca99da and others give newbies, but mainly to say this -

Its a marathon, not a sprint - anyone who has any doubts about what Emma is going to achieve in tennis should be reminded of the following :-

On the 26 July 2021 Iga Swiatek cried for nearly 10 mins at the Olympics after getting knocked out by Badosa (proper heart wrenching sobs that made it obvious how devastated she was).

Iga isn't doing too bad now.

Once Emma has sorted out her curious range of teething problems she will recalibrate and start to display where her ceiling is. It is up in the clouds with SAM not under the treatment table with Laura.

Have faith

Disclaimer - if Emma crashes a GoKart/Dirt Bike/F1 car or Fighter Jet and misses quite a large part of several seasons that is nothing to do with her tennis ability

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Hello I'm new here

I've put my first post here because of the amazing welcome aca99da and others give newbies, but mainly to say this -

Its a marathon, not a sprint - anyone who has any doubts about what Emma is going to achieve in tennis should be reminded of the following :-

On the 26 July 2021 Iga Swiatek cried for nearly 10 mins at the Olympics after getting knocked out by Badosa (proper heart wrenching sobs that made it obvious how devastated she was).

Iga isn't doing too bad now.

Once Emma has sorted out her curious range of teething problems she will recalibrate and start to display where her ceiling is. It is up in the clouds with SAM not under the treatment table with Laura.

Have faith

Disclaimer - if Emma crashes a GoKart/Dirt Bike/F1 car or Fighter Jet and misses quite a large part of several seasons that is nothing to do with her tennis ability
Welcome.
I agree with your post. Emma has big potential, we need to be patient.
She’s had a terrible year but she will bounce back.

Emma’s niggling injuries have probably a mix of causes

She needs to get stronger and get used to physical demands of WTA tour (she barely played one year on tour, she was in exam halls right before her debut, and not playing competitively)
She lost preseason due to covid which destroyed her conditioning (and probably she overtrained / trained the wrong way later to try and catch up, making it worse)
She has competed less than her peers as junior and itf (more catching up to do)

all these reasons could explain why she’s in the current injury situation.

she will get stronger, her fitness will get better next year.

her injuries haven’t been very bad, at least. Niggling and frustrating, but not bad injuries. Since you mentioned Iga…she had an injury in 2019 (first WTA year) which took her out for 4 months. She’s now world #1.

7461 - 7480 of 7565 Posts