Tennis Forum banner
7441 - 7460 of 7565 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
I think the plan may have been to go straight from Torbykins to that Piatti man but then that deal fell through. After Wimbledon there will probably be a month of downtime for Emma so that might give her chance to progress choosing a new coach. 🙂
Speculation of course, but I think the coaching situation will not change for the rest of the season. I do hope something will be announced starting next season. Not just a coach but rather a good team.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am going to be once again annoying. I agree with all of you that Emma needs a solid team. But her sudden jump in ranks and income caused yet again a problem. While other players gradually improve their ranks and income they have the time to build their team. What was Emma supposed to do after USO? Sack her entire team? Replace all persons that she and her family trusts with new experts? It first a matter of safety, being 18, very attractive, etc. you need some trusted verified people around. Then we all know how much criticism generated her split with Richardson. Can you imagine if she changed her entire team? So I am willing to give her time to figure out what she actually needs. Every year on the tour she will learn more and will gradually increase and improve her team.

·
Registered
177 Posts
On a more mundane level. I noticed all her mid-body injuries occurred in cold-ish conditions and that she had no problems last year during her US trip (expect for the QF in Landisville where she retired due to heat exhaustion) when she played in hot and very hot conditions. May be she just needs to keep herself warm a bit more as Kalinina did in their Madrid match. A lot of injuries occur when there is no proper warm-up or warmed-up state is not properly sustained.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
On a more mundane level. I noticed all her mid-body injuries occurred in cold-ish conditions and that she had no problems last year during her US trip (expect for the QF in Landisville where she retired due to heat exhaustion) when she played in hot and very hot conditions. May be she just needs to keep herself warm a bit more as Kalinina did in their Madrid match. A lot of injuries occur when there is no proper warm-up or warmed-up state is not properly sustained.
I was there in Nottingham on Tuesday; it wasn’t cold. I have the sunburnt arms to prove it 😆

·
Registered
Team Vika
46,759 Posts
I always got the sense she planned to hire another coach sooner or later, and they talked to PIATTI as Mr. Aca said. I remember also last year after splitting with RICHARDSON, she said she was going to take her time to find a new coach (probably to leave the window open and avoid lots of questions about when) but then she hired Torben relatively quickly. So I would imagine probably after Wimbledon is fairly likely. I do wonder if she will end up getting/keeping a longterm coach though or if she will stick with this model of only keeping coaches for a few months.

Reactions: JPeeeee and aca99da

·
Premium Member
24,149 Posts
lol It was "hot and very hot conditions" at the tournament she played January-March

·
Registered
165 Posts
I always got the sense she planned to hire another coach sooner or later
yes, from what i heard that her family has several good options after separating from Torben and Piatti is one of them,but they are not in hurry to make the final decision,probably after Wimbledon we will know her answer

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Emma would've played a qualifier if she was fit for Birmingham 😭
I'd say even a qualifier would be tough for Emma even if she was fit, even that they would've played more matches on the grass courts than Emma has this year, because there's a few players in the qualifying draw that got into the main draw at Nottingham this past week.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I'd say even a qualifier would be tough for Emma even if she was fit, even that they would've played more matches on the grass courts than Emma has this year, because there's a few players in the qualifying draw that got into the main draw at Nottingham this past week.
Also let’s not forget Emma was “just” a qualifier once and ended up winning a slam… Qualifiers should never be underestimated imo!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Emma's quarter final match against Iga in Stuttgart is now the 2nd most viewed highlights video on the WTA youtube channel this season (so not including slam matches). Only Iga v Osaka in the Miami final has more views. There's not a single match in the top 20 most viewed videos that doesn't include at least one of Iga, Emma, Leylah or Osaka.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Eh, maybe. Hard to tell. Marino isn't exactly the best player around. I'd expect Emma to get past players like Marino fairly easily on grass but who knows. Hope we find out at Eastbourne.
Marino always struck me as someone who's dangerous on fast courts, especially as she has a pretty big serve, plus she's had a pretty good season thus far.

7441 - 7460 of 7565 Posts