Tennis Forum banner
2261 - 2280 of 3142 Posts

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
It's disappointing to see her withdraw but I am also glad that it's not Cluj or Linz she is withdrawing from. Her opening Round matchup in Moscow would have been a tough one as it is just a 28 player draw and another first round loss would lead to media piling up the pressure even more and some new bs stories. She should have a much more favorable opening Round matchup in Cluj, Linz

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
It's disappointing to see her withdraw but I am also glad that it's not Cluj or Linz she is withdrawing from. Her opening Round matchup in Moscow would have been a tough one as it is just a 28 player draw and another first round loss would lead to media piling up the pressure even more and some new bs stories. She should have a much more favorable opening Round matchup in Cluj, Linz
Yeah, it's not a huge concern. She would have been back in the UK from earlier this week, and is likely just taking it easy for the next 10 days after the blowback from Indian Wells, training and flying under the radar. She might even be spending some time focusing on her getting her team sorted for next season.

I hope we see her physio there for Cluj and Linz. He seems to be someone she trusts on and off court.

·
Registered
618 Posts
LOL I very much doubt that is the reason. She will have to meet tough opponents anywhere at some point, and you don't win Slams at 18 if you're scared of the opposition.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
that would make 1 tennis match in 6 weeks

i'm getting Osaka vibes here unless she is injured
She played 20 matches in a month as a newbie to the tour this summer. That's 3 months worth of tennis for a pro crammed into a month. I wouldn't be surprised if it took her a lot longer than even she thought to properly get over that USO win. She even said she was still coming to terms with at Indian Wells.

Swiatek had the luxury of taking 3 months off after Roland Garros at the end of last year, and she was more experienced on the tour than Emma was. Iga's played around 50 matches this year ... in 9 months. Emma played a lot of tennis over the summer.

I've got no issue with her taking whatever time she needs for the remainder of this year. I'd be more worried if she turned up looking flat at Moscow, Romania and Austria because she was still trying to come to terms with things.

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Good. I’m of the opinion that a young player’s confidence has to be managed strategically. Given how little she’s played since the USO, the strong field in Moscow and the jet lag, the chances were pretty high that she would have taken another L, which would have put a damper on her big slam achievement. The macho talk about being scared or fearless is disconnected from reality IMO.

·
Super Moderator
23,114 Posts
It doesn’t make sense for Emma to WD from Moscow where there are more points and prize money is on offer than Cluj/Linz, and most importantly, matches. This is a bit of a red flag, unless the reason is due to injury or illness.

2261 - 2280 of 3142 Posts