Tennis Forum banner
2241 - 2260 of 2380 Posts

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
It's also almost impossible to break her record of winning a slam at the 2nd attempt.
It certainly is very rare but I wouldn't say impossible...just 2 years back, Bianca won slam in her 4th attempt which tied the record at the point of time (which easily could have been her 3rd slam attempt if she skipped RG earlier in the year when she wasn't fully fit but she participated and ended up withdrawing after winning R1 match)

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,242 ·
It's also almost impossible to break her record of winning a slam at the 2nd attempt.
I don't think win in 1st MD is out of the question, though it would be very hard for someone from the slam hosting countries. (Emma could hardly have won her 2nd without COVID.)

·
Registered
197 Posts
It certainly is very rare but I wouldn't say impossible...just 2 years back, Bianca won slam in her 4th attempt which tied the record at the point of time (which easily could have been her 3rd slam attempt if she skipped RG earlier in the year when she wasn't fully fit but she participated and ended up withdrawing after winning R1 match)
So? Even if it had been her 3rd slam, that still wouldn't have been quicker than Emma.

Point is, someone's gonna have to win the first slam they ever compete in to break the record. There's an incalculably small chance of that happening.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
She may continue to have a significant wobble, lose more often than she wins, suffer a dent in her confidence in the upcoming tournaments. But her talent, desire and mentality are too strong not to bounce back before long. And each match, win or lose, will be invaluable- lessons beyond any coaching session: she'll go into the off-season stuffed with the most vital data on where she is, what she needs to work on.
Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if the next 12 months were a bumpy ride, given she needs the experience and needs to be put in all sort of different situations and circumstances during matches that she won't be fully familiar with yet.

She's actually played quite a few matches this season, I think around 25 or 26, so around 7 or 8 matches to finish the season would be great. That would be the equivalent of half a seasons worth of match experience banked.

I still worry a little about her rally tolerance, which is essential for making it on the tour on all surfaces. A lot of her points during the USO were short due to her strategy of taking control of the rally early so we didn't see a lot of elongated points. She broke down a lot when rallying back and forth with Sasnovich last week, but OTOH, she did construct points beautifully against Sorribes Tormo during the USO, so I hope it was just a one off.

At this point I've put it down to the surface and her lack of matches on it, but we'll see over the next few weeks.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
So? Even if it had been her 3rd slam, that still wouldn't have been quicker than Emma.

Point is, someone's gonna have to win the first slam they ever compete in to break the record. There's an incalculably small chance of that happening.
True, I don't think that'll ever happen again (even tying Emma's record), at least not in our lifetimes. Bianca had tied with Monica Seles too back 2019, and that record was solely hers since 1990. That's how long it took just for someone to equal that particular achievement.

Emma's win was under a very unique set of circumstances. I don't think any player ranked 150 in the world could just roll up and randomly win a slam at their 1st/2nd attempt, and any player ranked within the top 100 that may have fancied their chances of doing so, would have likely had to grind enough on the tour that they likely would have played in more than a couple of slams at the point.

Her ranking was deceptively low due to not competing internationally for 15 months, and was a much better player than her ranking had suggested she was, so the talent was obviously there to win a slam, but common sense dictates that she should have been way too inexperienced to be able to get through 10 matches, let alone do it without dropping a set.

I mean, it's just an extraordinary thing.

·
Registered
197 Posts
True, I don't think that'll ever happen again (even tying Emma's record), at least not in our lifetimes. Bianca had tied with Monica Seles too back 2019, and that record was solely hers since 1990. That's how long it took just for someone to equal that particular achievement.

Emma's win was under a very unique set of circumstances. I don't think any player ranked 150 in the world could just roll up and randomly win a slam at their 1st/2nd attempt, and any player ranked within the top 100 that may have fancied their chances of doing so, would have likely had to grind enough on the tour that they likely would have played in more than a couple of slams at the point.

Her ranking was deceptively low due to not competing internationally for 15 months, and was a much better player than her ranking had suggested she was, so the talent was obviously there to win a slam, but common sense dictates that she should have been way too inexperienced to be able to get through 10 matches, let alone do it without dropping a set.

I mean, it's just an extraordinary thing.
The only way I could conceivably see it happening if is a young player who was clearly very talented somehow got unlucky and missed slams they should've played in due to injury, then the first slam they played in happened to be on their best surface, and they had a dream run to win it.

Something like Nadal winning the FO 2005 (which was btw his first appearance there), but having missed the previous five non-clay slams that he played in reality.

It's exceedingly unlikely ever to happen, of course.

Reactions: xenosys

·
Registered
Raducanu 🇬🇧, Djokovic 🇷🇸
63 Posts
Emma had one of the most amazing runs in the history of Grand Slams she stablished so many records that likely will never be broken; at least not in a near future. She's in the history books already.

It seems so crazy to look back, as she's just starting her career and already achieved the toughest thing that is to win a Grand slam, she started from the top!

Her talent is there, obviously I don’t expect her to win every match, but she knows already what’s it’s like to been there, done that. Her mental strength is tested.

I wonder if she’s the type of player that will get extra motivated on grand slams, she has had superb results so far 2 of 2. I hope she approaches the other tournaments with the same passion, after all she’s just so new to the circuit still, It might come with the process.

·
Registered
570 Posts
EMMA is in the history books
First qualifier to win a Grand Slam Tournament, in only her fourth WTA tournament.
EMMA won all her matches without loosing a set.
EMMA's ranking was 150
records for a long time.

I watched every match as EMMA grinded it out on the ITF circuit in order to obtain enough points to qualify for the qualifier of the US Open.
She won most of her matches. Battling at times in extreme heat.
EMMA showed physical and mental strength beyond her years.
I admire her for this
EMMA earned the hard way all the benefits she is receiving.
EMMA achieved what I could only hope for in my dreams.

GO EMMA GO

·
Registered
20,476 Posts
The only way I could conceivably see it happening if is a young player who was clearly very talented somehow got unlucky and missed slams they should've played in due to injury, then the first slam they played in happened to be on their best surface, and they had a dream run to win it.

Something like Nadal winning the FO 2005 (which was btw his first appearance there), but having missed the previous five non-clay slams that he played in reality.

It's exceedingly unlikely ever to happen, of course.

Yep it is just unlikely to happen because too many things will have to go « right » , too many different factors …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
989 Posts
Moscow Draw is on Saturday and players have until tomorrow to withdraw i believe - Emma must already be in Moscow to time adjust (10 hours) if she is serious about playing next week.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Moscow Draw is on Saturday and players have until tomorrow to withdraw i believe - Emma must already be in Moscow to time adjust (10 hours) if she is serious about playing next week.
Thanks for info. Not doing the draw until Saturday seems unusual, I thought they do it a bit earlier. Is there a published list of players who will be participating yet? In just tried the WTA Web site but it was being a useless as always. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Does anybody know if Emma is in Moscow yet? I hope she is, for preparation purposes.
She had posted on her instagram a couple of days ago saying ciao to California. Either she went back to the UK for a few days or straight to Moscow. I wouldn't see the point of the former, so can only assume she's been there since Monday/Tuesday. Not confirmed though!

·
Registered
20,585 Posts
She had posted on her instagram a couple of days ago saying ciao to California. Either she went back to the UK for a few days or straight to Moscow. I wouldn't see the point of the former, so can only assume she's been there since Monday/Tuesday. Not confirmed though!
Yes, it would make sense that she travelled directly to Moscow. This is her first WTA event indoors (?) so she’ll need time to adjust.

2241 - 2260 of 2380 Posts