Tennis Forum banner
2221 - 2240 of 2380 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes, an easier first round would be preferable, but perhaps she'd prefer to face players ranked higher than her right now, to take a little of the expectation and pressure off her shoulders.
Probably a bit of both - getting early match practice in helped her in NY and the opposite at IW. And she's still yet to play many players ranked at her level or above.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Probably a bit of both - getting early match practice in helped her in NY and the opposite at IW. And she's still yet to play many players ranked at her level or above.
I'd say that the opposite's true on your 2nd point. Every player she has played since R1 USOpen has been ranked at her level or above, except for Sasnovich.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think you can hire a motivational coach for that.I don't know,maybe i'm too old school,but a coach in my opinion should work mainly on tactics and technique,nothing is more important,because if you don't practice until you can execute something in match conditions,under pressure,it doesn't matter how motivated your player is.
Being a motivator is the most important job of a coach IMO, more important than teaching technique or tactics. That’s why I’ve always liked Darren Cahill.

edit: Sorry, I realize I’ve quoted you a bit out of context. She could have used more practice under the IW conditions, I agree. A bit more motivation could have helped as well.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I still think that Emma having almost 35 UE and body language is 80 % her head not being level after the huge disruption to her life winning a maiden slam so young.

The only way she will get around that is time, and hopefully court time. Win or lose, just want to see her playing competatively without the massive errors and good body langage this month to know she has made the transition in her mind and is now comfortable. It will happen, but sooner the better.

She just needs a friend to mentor her for a month really and then go for the big new coach.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd say that the opposite's true on your 2nd point. Every player she has played since R1 USOpen has been ranked at her level or above, except for Sasnovich.
But that was when she was #150. She's only played Bencic and Sakkari who are above her level now.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Oh I’m surprised she stayed a couple extra days in CA instead of heading home or to Moscow. But she does list traveling as one of the reasons for wanting to be a tennis pro. Once she’s been everywhere once she’ll probably do less sight seeing. Lol
A few days off to enjoy herself probably not a bad thing, if she'd been more upset surely she'd have fled California ASAP?

·
Registered
Raducanu 🇬🇧, Djokovic 🇷🇸
63 Posts
The let's bash Emma thread is closed after 20 pages, and others are close only having one pages. Why ir took so long? What a joke is this.
Next time Emma loses a match haters will be allowed to have freedom in the general forum but they cry if people open a thread about their fave and cry if we even open a thread to discuss Emma's tennis. Rules around this forum aren't fair.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
What makes me most nervous as an Emma fan is the 0/3 WTA Main Tour matches. Moscow is also going to be a stacked draw. The quicker she wins a match the better.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The let's bash Emma thread is closed after 20 pages, and others are close only having one pages. Why ir took so long? What a joke is this.
Next time Emma loses a match haters will be allowed to have freedom in the general forum but they cry if people open a thread about their fave and cry if we even open a thread to discuss Emma's tennis. Rules around this forum aren't fair.
The double-standards are indeed transparent, but I'd advise you to contact a mod to have the issue addressed. I've complained on forums like these before, and my posts get quickly removed.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
What makes me most nervous as an Emma fan is the 0/3 WTA Main Tour matches. Moscow is also going to be a stacked draw. The quicker she wins a match the better.
She should retire and be the only player in history to have won a slam without having won a WTA tour match. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Moscow draw will likely be stacked...it's just a 28 player draw and with such a close YEC race, some top players will be taking wild cards. That's why I think it's a good thing she will be playing in Cluj and especially Linz where the draw will be much more easier. Even if she loses early in Moscow, she will still have the chance to rack up some wins at these other 250s.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Moscow draw will likely be stacked...it's just a 28 player draw and with such a close YEC race, some top players will be taking wild cards. That's why I think it's a good thing she will be playing in Cluj and especially Linz where the draw will be much more easier. Even if she loses early in Moscow, she will still have the chance to rack up some wins at these other 250s.
Yep, lots of big names in there. I expect Emma to put in a better performance on a faster surface more suited to her game, but my expectations for the rest of the year fairly low. If she can grab a win or two at Moscow, that would be impressive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yep, lots of big names in there. I expect Emma to put in a better performance on a faster surface more suited to her game, but my expectations for the rest of the year fairly low. If she can grab a win or two at Moscow, that would be impressive.
She may continue to have a significant wobble, lose more often than she wins, suffer a dent in her confidence in the upcoming tournaments. But her talent, desire and mentality are too strong not to bounce back before long. And each match, win or lose, will be invaluable- lessons beyond any coaching session: she'll go into the off-season stuffed with the most vital data on where she is, what she needs to work on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Um - she IS the only player in history to have won a grand slam title without having won a WTA tour level match already! As we are all aware it seems unlikely to be repeated as winning ITF/125 matches alone would make it difficult to have direct entry on ranking and she is the only qualifier ever to do it so all of those records kind of go together (maybe an ex top player could win via qualifying but they are certain to have won WTA matches before). I know what you meant as a whole career thing but I am still pinching myself a month later to see if I dreamt what happened in any case. I cannot believe it will ever happen again so her place in tennis history is pretty much assured already on both counts. ;-)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Um - she IS the only player in history to have won a grand slam title without having won a WTA tour level match already! As we are all aware it seems unlikely to be repeated as winning ITF/125 matches alone would make it difficult to have direct entry on ranking and she is the only qualifier ever to do it so all of those records kind of go together (maybe an ex top player could win via qualifying but they are certain to have won WTA matches before). I know what you meant as a whole career thing but I am still pinching myself a month later to see if I dreamt what happened in any case. I cannot believe it will ever happen again so her place in tennis history is pretty much assured already on both counts. ;-)
It's also almost impossible to break her record of winning a slam at the 2nd attempt.

2221 - 2240 of 2380 Posts