Tennis Forum banner
5741 - 5760 of 6195 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think that if she had won the first set, the second set would have been a much different story, she would have found the energy to try to win it in 2. It's too bad she wasn't able to close out the first set with the bunch of set points she had. That is not the first time she has failed to close out. i wonder what's going on there? Was it more Samsonova that upped her play there, or did Emma waver. And how does she fix that?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I think that if she had won the first set, the second set would have been a much different story, she would have found the energy to try to win it in 2. It's too bad she wasn't able to close out the first set with the bunch of set points she had. That is not the first time she has failed to close out. i wonder what's going on there? Was it more Samsonova that upped her play there, or did Emma waver. And how does she fix that?
This is another issue of concern: her mind. She needs a sports psychologist. In the match against MCOS she could have won both sets easily but wasn’t able to hammer home her advantage. And let her opponent back in. Not the first time this has happened.

Not being able to take those set points v Samsonova must have had an impact. Head dropped. (In part because, as said earlier, Emma knew her body wouldn’t be able to perform.)

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Really annoyed by the 4 SPs, but hey, last year at this time she lost in the first round in San Jose, and won the USO just a few weeks later. So this year at this time she actually did better, since she won two matches!
In the second set Emma looked a bit exhausted. Maybe knew she couldn’t win in three. Or maybe she could, but was it worth it? Let’s be honest here: this was a shitty tournament in terrible conditions and we know Toronto is coming up and Emma has no bye and a tough R1. Toronto is much bigger and more important. Even if she could batter her body and win it in three with a supreme effort, I really don’t think it was worth it. If it were a 1000 or a Slam I think she would have tried anything to do it, but let’s also be honest, you don’t want to tire yourself out in a small tournament and be gassed when the big tournaments happen.
Also we would love it if Emma won all the TBs, but you can’t always win the TBs, you sometimes will lose them. It happens. Emma still won 2 of the 3 tiebreaks she played this tournament.
Yes a psychologist can help, but remember in RG R1 she lost a tiebreak similarly and came back to win the next two sets…so it’s not like Emma can’t fight mentally after losing a close first set. She already did it against Noskova, and also Hercog the first set was pretty close and after losing it, she came back to win in three. But this time I think she was too tired, and all things considered I’m not that angry that she checked out a bit. Still clearly fought to at least avoid the bagel. But if she exhausted herself completely to win this match in a silly 250 and then flopped in Toronto, I would have been much angrier. The heat yesterday didn’t help, and today it was really, really late. Past Emma’s bedtime, after an almost 3h battle in 36 Celsius and humid heat, honestly we can’t blame her if she was exhausted. And tbh this tournament was simply not worth it. I’m happy enough with Emma conserving her energy for Toronto. Much better to lose here and win a few rounds in Toronto (hopefully) than losing R1 in Toronto because she was too exhausted. After losing the tiebreak, she surely had this in mind too, and we can’t blame her.

It’s not that bad she lost, at least she will be fresher for Toronto, where many more points are available.
Exhausting herself to reach a SF in DC would have been of no use if she picked up another injury or simply was too tired to play well in Toronto.
This was just a warmup tournament and it served its purpose. Emma played 3 matches and this last one will help her a lot vs Giorgi, who has a similar style to Samsonova. Lots of player peak in 250s and then lose in the big tournament, just look at Haddad Maia (or even Bianca) in the grass season. I’d much rather Emma peaks in the big ones. And given she’s still developing her endurance, better not to use all your energy to reach a SF in a 250.
But her endurance is already getting better, otherwise she wouldn’t have come through in almost 3h in those conditions in the previous match
Personally, given the shitty tournament with bad weather and organisation, I’m not that bothered by this loss.
On to Toronto, which is much more important. And this way Emma will have time to rest a bit and be fresher for Toronto. If she wins R1 she can have a run there, which is way more important.
I think both players pribably wanted to get this over in 2, neither wanted to go 3 in those conditions. So the first set was a good battle, both fought real hard i thought, knowing the first set was the match.
Agreed

·
Registered
91 Posts
Until she learns to step inside that baseline again and take the ball early she's never going to win consistently, especially against the big hitters. She surely knows this from just watching the videos from last year... if not her, her coach should?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Until she learns to step inside that baseline again and take the ball early she's never going to win consistently, especially against the big hitters. She surely knows this from just watching the videos from last year... if not her, her coach should?
Her defensiveness is probably a symptom of a lack of confidence. I yearn to see her return to her swashbuckling, attacking play. It’s what made me a fan.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Her defensiveness is probably a symptom of a lack of confidence. I yearn to see her return to her swashbuckling, attacking play. It’s what made me a fan.
Yes it’s definitely lack of confidence. She had times in which she was aggressive and attacked in the two previous matches, but then got back to being passive again, like when she took the lead against Osorio she was aggressive, then became passive and let Osorio come back. The difference was very clear, and frustrating to watch. But it’s all a matter of confidence plus I think the bad conditions in DC played a part.
I think she will gradually come back to attacking the more matches she plays.
But, well, what can I say, at least she did attack at times this week. Some tiny moves in the right direction. Hopefully next tournament she starts doing it for a full match instead of doing it only like half the time.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
While the end result (straight sets win for Samsonova) wasn't a surprise, Emma's performance in that first set was. Really dug deep and took everything Sam gave her throughout. Unfortunately because of that, it just used up whatever energy Emma had left after Thursday's match so that by the second set, she was pretty much running on empty. Personally I don't think it would've mattered if Emma had won that first set or not - she would've still been so knackered after that first set that Samsonova would've destroyed her anyway in the second and third sets (which she actually did in the second set).

Hey ho - she has a few days break to regain and rebuild. Onto Toronto now.

·
Registered
838 Posts
She didn’t just suddenly forget how to stand closer to the baseline. Standing further back gives her more time to react and prepare. A combination of the opponent hitting with so much pace and her being sluggish with her reaction time because of her exhausted state. If she wants to redirect the ball, then she needs even more time. She had no good solutions last night given her tired and sluggish state.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
She didn’t just suddenly forget how to stand closer to the baseline. Standing further back gives her more time to react and prepare. A combination of the opponent hitting with so much pace and her being sluggish with her reaction time because of her exhausted state. If she wants to redirect the ball, then she needs even more time. She had no good solutions last night given her tired and sluggish state.
Yeah. Let’s hope in her next matches when she’s fresher, she starts playing on the baseline and taking the ball early and being aggressive again. It’s also a confidence thing for sure as she did it a few times in the last matches but not enough. Hopefully these three matches gave her the needed confidence.
It’s not a tragedy that she lost, not worth it to batter her body just to play a 250 in ridiculously bad conditions with few people watching, when she has two 1000s and a Slam coming up and she’s seeded in all three. Much better to be fresh for those big tournaments. This tournament had mostly the purpose of being a warmup and three singles matches (plus one doubles) are enough for that. I’m actually glad she didn’t completely exhaust herself just to try and win in three a match in a 250 to later be too exhausted for a 1000. Would have made no sense.
But I don’t have any doubts on Emma’s love for tennis and if she says she wants to play for 15 years, I believe her. There’s no reason not to. Also what she said about getting back up even if her ranking drops a lot is really encouraging about her long term attitude. She clearly loves it. Yesterday it wasn’t really useful to tire herself too much just for a useless 250, but the way she fought vs Osorio proves she really cares and is serious about her career. Personally I’m not too bothered by this loss, on to the next tournaments

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Me too. I can't believe I'm watching the same player right now. Although Emma is a really nice girl with a charming smile and personality I would not have become a fan if she was playing like she is right now. I started watching her in the ITF events before the USO and what I loved about her game was the agressiveness and the purpose she had on every shot. Now she is turning into strictly a counterpuncher. I think it is a direct result of too many coaching changes at a time where she badly needed stability. Hopefully she sticks to Tursonov.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Me too. I can't believe I'm watching the same player right now. Although Emma is a really nice girl with a charming smile and personality I would not have become a fan if she was playing like she is right now. I started watching her in the ITF events before the USO and what I loved about her game was the agressiveness and the purpose she had on every shot. Now she is turning into strictly a counterpuncher. I think it is a direct result of too many coaching changes at a time where she badly needed stability. Hopefully she sticks to Tursonov.
I would say lot of that counterpunching influence came from Torben more than anything else

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
So glad she got rid of Torben
People complain that she "got rid of him too soon" when real fans saw that Emma was regressing under him. Once she got rid and started briefly working with the like of Cayer and Piatti, she improved a great deal tennis-wise (just her body was letting her down at the time).

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
People complain that she "got rid of him too soon" when real fans saw that Emma was regressing under him. Once she got rid and started briefly working with the like of Cayer and Piatti, she improved a great deal tennis-wise (just her body was letting her down at the time).
I'm someone that thinks this yet I am a real fan, I just think you're wrong. Simple.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Well, let’s not fight over Torben now. Some of us liked him some didn’t, but now he’s gone. There’s no point in fighting between us about him, now.

Dmitry seems like a good coach, and from her DC press conferences, Emma appears to like him, and from the way she speaks about him it appears she wants to try and make this last. She doesn’t speak about him like someone she hired only for two weeks. I think if he can’t be there in Toronto for whatever personal or visa reason, or previous commitment, he will be back for Cinci and USO.

Let’s hope this partnership works and is a long and fruitful one. There’s promising signs.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I'm someone that thinks this yet I am a real fan, I just think you're wrong. Simple.
We all have different opinions and I don't think you can categorily say they are wrong. Frankly, we will never know what the result would be if Torben stayed longer. We all want the best for Emma and her team. She will do what feels right for her. The media and all these previous coaches have set a precedent of her merry go round coaches, so we have bought into this. Maybe, just maybe she hasn't found the ONE that really just click. And so what if she doesn't follow the norm and it delays her development or never wins a major again. I'm a fan not just because of her results.

5741 - 5760 of 6195 Posts