Tennis Forum banner
5721 - 5740 of 6195 Posts

·
Registered
Brits: Tiger Tim, Murray, Emma Radz, Laura Robson. The rest: Venus, Rafa, Halep, Hingis, Ivanovic
263 Posts
It's the reality of the tour; 12:40am in front of about 50 people, having that hunger to fight your way back. It may take a little time to get accustomed to that reality.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Emma checked out after failing to win the first set. The commentator said she was psychologically defeated from that moment onwards. Really, really needs to focus on sorting that out otherwise this will keep happening. Disappointing match to say the least.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I feel Emma saved her last bit of energy to win one game in the second set. And after that she really had nothing left. Poor girl. I’m sure she feels awful.
But sweetie, don’t feel bad. You played great this week! Now you can get some sleep and get some well deserved rest. There’s always next week!

if she didn’t pick up a new injury, I’d be pretty pleased for her. A lot of positives from this week.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Emma checked out after failing to win the first set. The commentator said she was psychologically defeated from that moment onwards. Really, really needs to focus on sorting that out otherwise this will keep happening. Disappointing match to say the least.
Unfortunately not the first time. I feel like if Emma is not winning first set it's like game over. Needs a better mentality.

But it's already saturday so maybe better like this, Toronto next.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I really think she's just exhausted from yesterday and from the late hours. Also the blisters aren't helping.
I think she might even be on the same flight as Samsonova tomorrow to Toronto. There's no way she'll stay to finish this tour when the Toronto tour is so much bigger. She has a qualifying tomorrow to play.
Get some rest Emma, and please play much more aggressively against Giorgi. You can't hang back 3' from the baseline all match like this.

·
Registered
385 Posts
It's 1:30am local time. She's just exhausted I think, both from the late hours and from yesterday's match.
It's 12:40 est. In any event, she was clearly deflated after losing the 1st set TB, and didn't have the energy to go 3. I hope she has Dmitry for a couple days to go over some things before Toronto, it's too bad he's not going to be there.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Little worried now for the Giorgi match as she’s very similar to Samsonova. Oh well, can worry about that on the actual day lol I need to get some sleep now 😳

·
Registered
838 Posts
I didn't actually see her so I can't make a call on physical exhaustion Vs giving up. Either way the solution is mental though, a sports psychologist may help
I don’t know how a sport psychologist would help if you’ve got nothing left in the tank. The scheduling was so brutal too. Having to wait sooooo long just to get on court. At least at slams she’ll always have a little more time to recover. Also hopefully more sensible scheduling.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I don’t know how a sport psychologist would help if you’ve got nothing left in the tank. The scheduling was so brutal too. Having to wait sooooo long just to get on court. At least at slams she’ll always have a little more time to recover. Also hopefully more sensible scheduling.
I am not a player but in marathons and other sports you can hang in there and find a second wind. It's partly mental and partly knowing the body so well you can optimise and hang in there.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yes, i agree, i think after she lost the first set she knew she didn't have the energy left to fight it to go 3. It's very humid there, tough conditions, she's still building up her strenght and stamina, it was late and she was already tired from yesterday. It's too bad Dmitry is not going to be there next week.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Because she knows her body simply cannot grind out two tough matches back-to-back. Only way to resolve that is to get fitter and build endurance. Until then she will continue to run out of gas and falter in these matches.

·
Registered
631 Posts
It's alright. This has been a terrible tournament anyway, the weather's so crap, all the top players are out. Even if she wins, she'll go on to play nobody players, not giving her the kind of prep she needs to go up agianst the big players. It's better she gets to Toronto early and try to make a deep run there. Hopefully she'll learn from this that she can't play passive against big hitters, because her R1 opponent is another big hitter Giorgi. Above all, I'm sick of this tournament. Aside from the stadium court, all their courts have the worst camera angles, all shot from one end of the court, total garbage. And the weather is just ridiculous, plus all the time delays. I hope Emma never plays this tournament again. I prefer to pay no attention to it.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
It's alright. This has been a terrible tournament anyway, the weather's so crap, all the top players are out. Even if she wins, she'll go on to play nobody players, not giving her the kind of prep she needs to go up agianst the big players. It's better she gets to Toronto early and try to make a deep run there. Hopefully she'll learn from this that she can't play passive against big hitters, because her R1 opponent is another big hitter Giorgi. Above all, I'm sick of this tournament. Aside from the stadium court, all their courts have the worst camera angles, all shot from one end of the court, total garbage. And the weather is just ridiculous, plus all the time delays. I hope Emma never plays this tournament again. I prefer to pay no attention to it.
It would have been a confidence boost to Emma if she was able to win three matches in a row. She’s failed to do this since the US Open. Furthermore, she’s been reminded that her body continues to fail her when trying to remain competitive in tough matches.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
It would have been a confidence boost to Emma if she was able to win three matches in a row. She’s failed to do this since the US Open. Furthermore, she’s been reminded that her body continues to fail her when trying to remain competitive in tough matches.
I don't think her body really failed her, yesterday's match was ridiculous

5721 - 5740 of 6195 Posts