Tennis Forum banner
81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
I don't believe there's any mystery as to why the women's final has produced so much more interest in the US than in past years, and most likely in very other country where there's some interest in women's tennis. To state the obvious, that for a qualifier to get to the MD, one has to win three matches (exception lucky loser) and then to win seven more matches to snag the title is the stuff of pure fantasy. I'm sure every entrant to the qualifying rounds might harbor such fantasy. but the vast majority of them would consider qualifying and then winning the first round in the MD as a successful outing. It goes without saying, that had Leylah prevailed the interest would have been more subdued, despite her incredible run of defeating Osaka, Kerber, Svitolina and Sabalenka. One final thing helped raise the interest was that the match was competitive and excellent clearly demonstrating that both players were deserving to be in the situation.

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
Isn't that 9.2M only on Channel4 though? Or is it combined Channel4 + Prime viewership?
Exactly, we don't know how many people watched on Prime instead. I watched on Channel 4 even though I have Prime because I wanted it to be a big success on terrestrial TV. I have been watching Prime all week, as I sit at home working from home in this pandemic. Thank God for Luxembourg and Portoroz for keeping me going during the longueurs of the stay at home working week.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
If you had told someone 3 weeks ago the WTA would match or outperform the ATP as Djokovic goes for a CYS no one would've thought it period. What these women did was amazing for the sport.

·
Registered
375 Posts
The media sure loves a pretty face. Emma needs to jump on all the sponsorship deals. She should maximize all the attention she is getting. Annabel Croft said she has the ability to change the game like the Roger, Rafa and the Williams sisters. Annabel is a GENIUS!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't believe there's any mystery as to why the women's final has produced so much more interest in the US than in past years, and most likely in very other country where there's some interest in women's tennis. To state the obvious, that for a qualifier to get to the MD, one has to win three matches (exception lucky loser) and then to win seven more matches to snag the title is the stuff of pure fantasy. I'm sure every entrant to the qualifying rounds might harbor such fantasy. but the vast majority of them would consider qualifying and then winning the first round in the MD as a successful outing. It goes without saying, that had Leylah prevailed the interest would have been more subdued, despite her incredible run of defeating Osaka, Kerber, Svitolina and Sabalenka. One final thing helped raise the interest was that the match was competitive and excellent clearly demonstrating that both players were deserving to be in the situation.
Leylah was the bigger draw for the American audience going in (and her crowd support made that obvious), the big narrative on ESPN was her tough draw. Emma got comparatively little coverage in the US sports media (hence why you're still seeing Leylah make media appearances despite losing). That said, both of them combined to create the "teen showdown" story that you saw on more mainstream outlets like NYT and CNN---for that both were absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Was racking my brain trying to figure out what was up with 2017 given that Serena was out. That was the All-American semi (including Venus). Makes sense.
yep...infact, this year is actually the first time in ages that not even a single American woman reached QFs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
do people really think that there is a big enough overlap of nfl fans and tennis fans in the US to affect ratings? ludicrous... what happened is that TENNIS FANS tuned in to see something special... CYGS might be historic, but there's little to no drama... but an all teen final? both with unique underdog stories? NID...

·
Registered
82 Posts
do people really think that there is a big enough overlap of nfl fans and tennis fans in the US to affect ratings? ludicrous... what happened is that TENNIS FANS tuned in to see something special... CYGS might be historic, but there's little to no drama... but an all teen final? both with unique underdog stories? NID...
NFL is extremely ubiquitous, of course there is overlap. I personally watched RedZone and checked the score of the men's final on my phone.

·
Registered
67 Posts
NFL is extremely ubiquitous, of course there is overlap. I personally watched RedZone and checked the score of the men's final on my phone.
of course there is overlap, but enough overlap to affect ratings? i personally don't think so. tennis is a niche sport in the US as is....

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
This.

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
There are couple of things that will make her global star. Her Chinese roots and she is Christian. Chinese, British and Christian. With that pretty face you can’t fail

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
There are couple of things that will make her global star. Her Chinese roots and she is Christian. Chinese, British and Christian. With that pretty face you can’t fail
Hopefully she still focuses on tennis and not just sponsorship deals.

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
Hopefully she still focuses on tennis and not just sponsorship deals.
Biggest challenge facing her is British media. It’s the most toxic intrusive media in the world and the brits love to destroy their own. We saw what they did with the black players. Emma’s Chinese background is gonna get the same. Specially if she starts to talk Chinese

·
Registered
6 Posts
Biggest challenge facing her is British media. It’s the most toxic intrusive media in the world and the brits love to destroy their own. We saw what they did with the black players. Emma’s Chinese background is gonna get the same. Specially if she starts to talk Chinese
LOL, people like here in UK and everywhere. She's Hot. She could Talk Chinese or any other language, And I'd tap that in a heartbeat (as would 99.9999999999999% of straight guys).

81 - 100 of 101 Posts