Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Up above some videos with Emma's and Leylah's TV appearances in the US on Monday. The two players have taken the American media by storm, they're literally everywhere. You turn on the TV and they're on, you surf the websites for the most important newspapers and articles about them pop up everywhere. The funny thing is that Medvedev or Djokovic are nowhere. Nobody wants to interview them or hear what they have to say.

·
La nuit je mens
91,331 Posts
The Ashe stadium was full with plenty of A-list celebs last night. It was not even packed for the women's final. That whole delusion about Raducanu-Fernandez being the bigger story is a TF bubble for people that are women's tennis fans.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
The Ashe stadium was full with plenty of A-list celebs last night. It was not even packed for the women's final. That whole delusion about Raducanu-Fernandez being the bigger story is a TF bubble for people that are women's tennis fans.
It was a bigger story. Even the ATP fans on tenniswarehouse and menstennis forum were making threads saying it.
Are the the US ratings in.

·
Registered
82 Posts

Up above some videos with Emma's and Leylah's TV appearances in the US on Monday. The two players have taken the American media by storm, they're literally everywhere. You turn on the TV and they're on, you surf the websites for the most important newspapers and articles about them pop up everywhere. The funny thing is that Medvedev or Djokovic are nowhere. Nobody wants to interview them or hear what they have to say.
It's cool being excited but there's no need to lie. The US Open winners always do a press tour (Osaka, Andreescu, and Thiem all had similar interviews when they won). I saw Medvedev on Morning Joe this morning, and I believe he did GMA along with Emma. He was also on Live with Kelly and Ryan.

Perhaps the only thing unusual is Leylah getting interviews as well, but she was such a crowd favorite that perhaps it's expected. No need to interview Djokovic who is not a newcomer.

·
Registered
8,818 Posts
I think it was about equal which is great for female tennis which has been so far behind men in last years. US talkshows probably milked girls more indeed because they love a great underdog story. #2 winning isn't really something special.

Reactions: andreescufan

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
You are right, but Brad Pitt and Ben Stiller and all the rest were there to see history made as Novak Djokovic won the calendar year grand slam in front of Rod Laver. Unfortunately, he was overcome by nerves and beaten quite easily so the match was a total flop. I feel sorry for Medvedev, because it wasn't his fault Novak played his worst match since his equally bad brainfreeze at the Olympics.

So once the finals were over, there was no competition. Emma and Leylah won the media, won the plaudits, they have the floor, not Medvedev, and certainly not Djokovic.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I know the Atp fans dont want to give the crown up but the women tournament generated a lot more views than the mens

you can also check the US Open channel on youtube, womens final highights 2.3M, probably will become tomorrow the most viewed match highlights clip on that channel

girls press conference comparisons is even more tilted for the girls, were viewed by 3-4x more people

online media presence is even more tilted in the favor of the girls

·
Registered
20,032 Posts
You are right, but Brad Pitt and Ben Stiller and all the rest were there to see history made as Novak Djokovic won the calendar year grand slam in front of Rod Laver. Unfortunately, he was overcome by nerves and beaten quite easily so the match was a total flop. I feel sorry for Medvedev, because it wasn't his fault Novak played his worst match since his equally bad brainfreeze at the Olympics.

So once the finals were over, there was no competition. Emma and Leylah won the media, won the plaudits, they have the floor, not Medvedev, and certainly not Djokovic.
Plus USO is not the kind of place you buy ticket few days before. So it is totally normal they were no immediate response on ticket sale .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
45,581 Posts
In terms of social media which is an undeniable factor in this time and age Raducanu has been the clear winner though. She is at 1.6 Mio. Insta followers and Medvedev, who had a much bigger profile before already is at 651k currently and Fernandez at 272k. So I would think it is more Emma as the big story rather than the women‘s final (sadly).

1 - 20 of 101 Posts