Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
WTA awards are not authentic. It seems like all you need for POTY is a two week sensation.

·
Registered
Federer, Sampras, Graf, Hingis
126 Posts
It would be great entertainment if EMMA won plyer of the year. (of course she will not)
The indignations voiced on this message board would be great entertainment
Fortunately, and Unfortunately for you, greatness is not decided by you. It would have been great for you had Leylah won USO but she lost in straight sets. There hasn't been any player in the history who has climbed from 360 (and was never ever in top 300) in the world to 19 in just 6 months. Very few players have reached to round 4 on their Wimbledon debut and none who has ever won a grand slam as a qualifier without dropping a set. Only grand slam champion to have reached to min 4th round in all the grand slam he or she has played. And as i said, greatness is not defined by someone with a canadian flag, so most likely, she will win

·
Registered
83 Posts
Remember it's player of the (not necessary top or how many slams) ...

Emma as a player made history and very like won't be repeated. A very good chance Emma will get both. That would be a first too?

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Fortunately, and Unfortunately for you, greatness is not decided by you. It would have been great for you had Leylah won USO but she lost in straight sets. There hasn't been any player in the history who has climbed from 360 (and was never ever in top 300) in the world to 19 in just 6 months. Very few players have reached to round 4 on their Wimbledon debut and none who has ever won a grand slam as a qualifier without dropping a set. Only grand slam champion to have reached to min 4th round in all the grand slam he or she has played. And as i said, greatness is not defined by someone with a canadian flag, so most likely, she will win
If you're going to be wrong, I guess be wrong loudly.

Off the top of my head, Capriati went from unranked to #10 in six months in 1990.

·
Registered
Federer, Sampras, Graf, Hingis
126 Posts
If you're going to be wrong, I guess be wrong loudly.

Off the top of my head, Capriati went from unranked to #10 in six months in 1990.
You are right and this was also mentioned by the commentator during US open that capriati was one player but she was never ranked below 23 initially and Emma will be the lowest ranked to have climbed. In those days, there was no live rating so capriati’s first ranking ever was 23. She is a living legend and particularly in the most competitive age of women’s tennis she just came in the top ten beating Martina, Sanchez, sabatini, and graf as well. What a talent which unfortunately went through some bad times in her teens.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts