Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 359 Posts

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Through to the SF of the G1 Banana Bowl and showing off her Portuguese.

“Ela teve um ótimo começo muito forte, abriu 4/0 e tinha um plano de jogo muito sólido. Então comecei a jogar melhor, fiquei mais focada e consegui entrar no jogo. Foi uma grande partida, nós duas jogamos bem”

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's spent an awful lot of time on court so far this year, and there's more next week when she plays the Brazilian GA. Is she home-schooled? Given that she's so gifted academically, I'd hate to think she's shunning her studies for a quixotic tilt at a pro tennis career.

·
Premium Member
11,662 Posts
She's spent an awful lot of time on court so far this year, and there's more next week when she plays the Brazilian GA. Is she home-schooled? Given that she's so gifted academically, I'd hate to think she's shunning her studies for a quixotic tilt at a pro tennis career.
I suspect home schooled, or distance learning is the most likely outcome, she is still at an age she has to legally be in education in Britain. Also no academy doesn't do academic studies. On the other hand, while a good British junior this recent focus on tennis is playing off masssively. She won the Santiago G2 semi-final, a level I didn't think she was up to and now in a G1 final Brazil a few weeks after. That's a huge explosion in success, so something is paying off.

What's just as interesting is that she seems to be doing well on clay, not a British thing at all :lol:

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Europeias disputam a final dos 18 anos feminino | 46º Banana Bowl - Troféu Alcides Procópio
Whatever that means. But here's Emily's characteristic bent-arm forehand.

Google translate of the Em bit.
Appleton surpassed the aggressive play of the Swedish Mirjan Bjorklund per double 6/4. "It was great to play on the main court, against a great player and I respect a lot. The match was very tight and in the second set I lost by 4/3 and could be strong in the final game and win the match, "said the British player of only 16 years.
The Hungarian Udvardy tries the second title of his country Photo: Thiago Parmalat / DGW Communication

"I'm sure it will be an interesting game and I'm excited to play tomorrow," said Appleton, who despite having been created on grass courts or hard and covered, always had affection for Banana Bowl. She is accompanied in Brazil's father and coach, Michael, and mother, Sally.

"It is a very prestigious event and when I was younger and I heard about the tournament, always said he wanted to play the Banana Bowl and now I'm at the end," added the player seeking his second title in the South American clay, as well He won in Chile three weeks ago.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Breaks into the top 100 at 64. RG is usually stacked, so could do with a few more points this week if she wants to make the MD.

Sent from my Trunk 1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,662 Posts
Breaks into the top 100 at 64. RG is usually stacked, so could do with a few more points this week if she wants to make the MD.

Sent from my Trunk 1 using Tapatalk
She has nearly 2 months to gather those points. I forget the cut-off is early but she has time. If she remains in this form she can deffo do it. She is paying well above her ranking from these results.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Emily fell in singles R16 and doubles SF. I haven't worked through the calculations, but I imagine she'll be DA for the next four slams from this South American jaunt alone. She did well not to get badly injured playing so much.

Her name is cropping up in a lot of upcoming ITF pro circuit entry lists, though you'll probably be able to guess that I'd rather she rested at home (and caught up on her training and school work, assuming she still does any) for a while.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Thanks for the pics Potapovushina. ;)

She's played pretty much constantly since she joined the junior ITF tour without getting injured I think.

No one's yet mentioned that she's our youngest senior ranked player at no. 932.

Here's a cute vid of Emily and Nell:

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some snafu on the ITF site means the normal ranking view is showing last week's rankings, but I eventually twigged that the PDFs have been updated.

Emily is now ranked 51.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Some action shots of Emily from Roehampton qualies '14.

With her Dad (I think), a former pro himself.

1st round of doubles with Eden Richardson.

1 - 20 of 359 Posts