Registered
52,809 Posts

·
Registered
52,809 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Great fun interview from a while ago, she's clearly more comfortable in her native language: (turn on CC for subs)

Part 1: Elina Svitolina talks about cussing, $500 per hour lessons, a private jet as a gift and whether she had the sex talk with her family

Part 2: Elina Svitolina about Ronaldo’s abs, Odessa's prostitutes, chest hair and black caviar all year long

I'm sure some Eli fans like @Hugues Daniel will be interested ;)

·
Registered
52,809 Posts

·
Premium Member
37,852 Posts
A commentary on the vids (for a change):

when I watch Svitolina's many points, rallies, highlights... what strikes me is her aerial game, and the softness of her shots, which are similar to Aga at times. She has much more similarities with Aga than what we think, because her game style which lacks of big punch half the time makes tennis looks like badminton (sounds exaggerated but that's an aspect I underline). I recall having made that analogy during a match between Aga and Niculescu, and Niculescu and Rybarikova. Those players don't play power tennis (not that much), even if Svitolina can hit that ball when she feels it, but her assets don't rely on big punch. It was obvious in a rally against Vandeweghe for instance. Vandeweghe is a big (and nice) striker. Svitolina just chases that ball and deals with various paces and lengths during rallies, jumping all around, and makes move her opponent in uncomfortable zones. Most of the time her opponent will lose rallies demanding a lot of movement against her. Elina's opponents can only beat her in dictating rallies mercilessly. Elina can be outpowered. But if her opponent doesn't outpower she, she'll be in trouble because Elina is among the few queens of the "middle game" on the tour. I call the "middle game" (think also middle ground or middle range) all the shots that don't rely on sheer power or big technique (Elina's technique is natural, not elaborated). I don't mean to invent words or set a vocabulary, I try to describe what I see. It's all the tactical, tricky game mixed in between. All what makes a consistent and competitive player. Because Elina can make a lot of shots in that "middle game", she has the tools, the touch and the balance.

She can hit a fine forehand down the line on a jump in McEnroe style. She doesn't do that often, but I love it. :)

Her problem this year was obvious: her mindset wasn't confident enough. She felt down and clueless in some matches. She still struggles with nerves and tension and lost it to pressure when it was time to close a match or win a decisive game. She should overcome that pressure, know her assets better, and be confident in her game. But I suspect it's related with how the player feels physically on the court. If the body is well, the mind will do better too.

edit: reading my post again one day after I realize it may sound like I want Svitolina to play badminton, but that's not that at all. :lol:

She surely needs to keep playing with as much power as she can and I'm delighted to see her hit big shots, but she's one of the best movers and it's that balance of qualities that makes it especially entertaining to me. :)

·
Registered
52,809 Posts

·
Registered
52,809 Posts
Yes, Elina is one of the best defenders :worship:
She often finds a solution in difficult situations against the best players - like in this point.
Also she is a big fighter and very smart. And has a strong backhand.

These are the things why I like her game.

Weird is that many people say her game is nothing special.
But her defense, fight and backhand are very special, one of the best on the WTA Tour :yeah:
Also her serve has improved a lot, can be a weapon and is underrated.

181 - 200 of 211 Posts