141 - 160 of 167 Posts

·
Banned
149 Posts
ok

·
Registered
521 Posts
I can definitely see her winning one or two but maybe not all four. Nothing wrong with having ambition though.
With that game she will never explode. Even if she's adding some muscles, do you see Elina playing attacking like Clijsters? She would totally need a field of mediocrity to do it. Even to win some Slams...

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
What's the problem with this? Isn't this every player's goal?

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
34,180 Posts
Nothing wrong with wanting to win all four slams. But you can't do it with a wave of the racket. You do it in steps, one by one. It is an incremental thing. For anybody setting goals too high to start with, even if they could possibly be attainable over an extended period of time if one went about it the right way, is actually self-defeating. The goal becomes too big, too overwhelming and it encourages one to give up. It is like how every seasoned grand slam campaigner goes into a Grand Slam not trying to win the Slam but simply taking it match by match. You try to win your first match and then if you are successful you then refocus your attention on your 2nd match and try to win that. And so on until hopefully you find yourself in the final trying to win that match.

Here's how you do it. You start with a simply goal of winning one slam. You try to win that one slam one match at a time as described above. If you win that one slam then your next aim is to win a 2nd to demonstrate to everyone your 1st slam wasn't a fluke. Then you can start focusing on winning a 3rd slam. But seriously, no one should be proclaiming winning 4 all four slams as a goal before having won even one. Not only are the optics bad and it makes you look silly it is actually self-defeating and the wrong way to go about things even if you have all the confidence in the world.

·
Art & Futures
20,428 Posts
Nothing wrong with wanting to win all four slams. But you can't do it with a wave of the racket. You do it in steps, one by one. It is an incremental thing. For anybody setting goals too high to start with, even if they could possibly be attainable over an extended period of time if one went about it the right way, is actually self-defeating. The goal becomes too big, too overwhelming and it encourages one to give up. It is like how every seasoned grand slam campaigner goes into a Grand Slam not trying to win the Slam but simply taking it match by match. You try to win your first match and then if you are successful you then refocus your attention on your 2nd match and try to win that. And so on until hopefully you find yourself in the final trying to win that match.

Here's how you do it. You start with a simply goal of winning one slam. You try to win that one slam one match at a time as described above. If you win that one slam then your next aim is to win a 2nd to demonstrate to everyone your 1st slam wasn't a fluke. Then you can start focusing on winning a 3rd slam. But seriously, no one should be proclaiming winning 4 all four slams as a goal before having won even one. Not only are the optics bad and it makes you look silly it is actually self-defeating and the wrong way to go about things even if you have all the confidence in the world.

Generally, in a world full of opportunity, it's good to set specific goals that are attainable.

However, in a competitive environment, it is not realistic to think winning all 4 slams is attainable, for most players. It's more of an aspiration. And I think aspirations may be better when they are not specific. So something like "oh... i would like to win some slams" might be better than "i would like to win one slam" or "i would like to win 4 slams", because it reduces pressure when you are in the experience of trying to get that specific slam that you need so badly.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Isn't that the goal of every tennis player? Nobody will say, I just want to 5 mickey mouse.

141 - 160 of 167 Posts