Tennis Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
It was until a lot later than the 60's that big names weren't doing or recurs didn't go AO ,and nobody else win 10 of them so!
Ashleigh Barty

Kiki Bertens

Ana Bogdan

Julia Görges

Peng Shuai

Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova

Anastasia Potapova

Samantha Stosur

Elina Svitolina

Wang Qiang

Wang Yafan

Zheng Saisai

Zhu Lin

Roger Federer

Fabio Fognini

Pierre-Hugues Herbert

Nicolás Jarry

Nick Kyrgios

Gaël Monfils

Rafael Nadal

Lucas Pouille

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

That's a long list of players and it's not all rich and top players...so, you wanna revisit your statement...

PS: the list will only grow...
Yeah but only 2 wealthy players ,WTA players at the top:Barty;Bertens.

·
Registered
220 Posts
N
There is a pandemic. Players should be allowed to make decisions about their health and those around them without idiots on the street trying to pass judgment. We don't know what else is at play for each person. What if they have loved ones considered "at risk?" And even if they don't, there's still a global public health crisis out there. Erring on the side of caution is their business. People here are upset because someone might be diminishing their preferred form of ENTERTAINMENT?
NY is 5 then 0 then5 deaths a day it's not yet Zombie Killers ,like when it was high No.s.

·
Registered
220 Posts
English is not my first language and to clarify again my problem is not with their decision to skip but rather the statements they have made and the reasons they have given. Its pretty obvious from Nadal statement the real reason hes not playing, same with Bertens
and so on...

And regarding risk, doesnt really matter, the risk exists everywhere like you acknowledged, even when you go down the street to buy bread! I would assume that the risks in the US considering the safety measures is relatively low, but thats not my issue here.

As for your last sentence, didnt you actually just do that? Criticize me for the choice I made? I made a choice to comment on other people and you criticized me
Now it's how long is the Bread Queue? Is there a vegetable or more like a Minestrone to have with it ,the risk was unsafe physical distancing in the queue environs. Where ever you may be from. Then you show up for the Tournament, it could be a problem,or the roofs on or not,who knows.

·
Registered
220 Posts
They call it quarantine but it's not in a "hotel" guarded by horny guards, so it boils down to selfisolation, but checked by the authorities if unlucky......Preparing for a clay tournament is NOT part of the deal....

By the way, Wim Fisette is Belgian, are you sure ?
Maybe they should've combined WTA and ATP in hindsight now,and they cuda been locked down together easier at less destinations.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I highly doubt that any top player who is not already signed up to play Cincinnati or is not currently in the United States will fly to New York.

Halep, Andreescu, and Kerber will likely be the next dominoes to fall.
I think Halep will play, I don’t know about about Andreescu. She won the exact same tournament last year so she might want to try and do better in French Open or she might tru again in US.

·
Registered
36,498 Posts
It's pure bs. Bertens is either misinformed or coming up with a lame excuse. Yesterday there was a conference call between the USTA and the ATP/WTA during which the USTA confirmed that they are currently updating the list of players and staff members that will return to Europe after the US Open. The list was originally meant to exempt players from being quarantined in Spain. The USTA has now confirmed that it will no longer be in Spain but it will be in Italy instead, so players will be able to fly from New York to Rome without being quarantined.
misinformed? -> Self-quarantine on arrival in the Netherlands

·
Registered
15,436 Posts
Weak language they use here: 'Travellers arriving in the Netherlands from certain countries and regions are strongly advised to self-quarantine for 14 days' as if they are negotiating with their residents. Use words such as 'must', 'mandatory', 'should', 'required'.. go full dictator mode.
You're right the Dutch airport rule as of right now is a strong advice, not coercion. The prime minister made that clear. The Dutch government is genrally trying to not impose forced rules but trying to strongly encourage everyone to follow advices. There is a strong expectation that everyone, especially a celebrity will follow the advice. And besides Kiki Bertens is not a snooty rebel. The recently imposed elevated advisory is more than strong enough for her to feel duty bound to stick to it and not skip the 14 day self isolation (and incur public criticism).

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
The Bottom Line is this:
At least right now Karolina Pliskova is THE ONLY EUROPEAN PLAYER out of the Top 10 who publicly said she's committed playing Cincy and New York.

Bencic & Kvitova have still concern hanging over their heads although I think Bencic will play. Petra I am not so sure.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts