Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She has had a new mentor since the asutralian circuit ended .....some 72 year old great from Australia who thinks Eleni is extremely talented! She truly beilieves Eleni can get where Jelena , Kim , and co. are through lots of hard work because her ' natural'game(tall , single handed bh , serve volleyer) has got loads of potential....

i saw her play at the olympics in 2000 and then this year at aus open and noticed HUGE improvement....shes a pleasure to watch , a very free flowing gameand the backhand reminds me of Gabby :)!

I hope Eleni keeps up the good stuff....shes slowly but surely becoming a force IMO. At wimbeldon last year she made the second round , and also had 3rd rd showing at the Us Open!...This year at the Australian Open she made the third round and took eventual champion Capriati to a 3-set-thriller in which Jennifer was chucking tantrams(shows what a GOOD serve volleyer can do) ;).....goo eleni

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
I agree... Ive been following her since Aus Open, keeping an eye on her results..

SM - Whos that in your avatar?

·
Premium Member
21,391 Posts
Yes Steve, its Merv Rose, former Aussie tennis champ....he coached Arantxa in the early 90's....he obviously has a good eye for talent ;)

Czechfan, thats him ;) lol

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
I don't know I saw Eleni compete at the U.S. Open and her game just did not thrill me. Perhaps she will get better but something just seems like its missing with her.

·
Enemy of Art
14,038 Posts
Huh...everyone at the US Open match that I saw was :hearts: with her fire and her spirit. :)

She's still a kid yet. ;)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
I just love that girl! :hearts:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Eleni is also a very nice girl. The only things missing from her game right now is probably footspeed and self-belief. She's okay in the other areas of her game.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Thanks for the info. SM! Good luck Eleni!! :)

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
Yes Aloysius she definitely will need to get better in her footspeed. Still, she seemed to lack some zip in her shots. I don't know maybe it's just me and I have to see her play more than that one match.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I agree Jakeev. I only saw Eleni play for the first time this year and from what I had heard about her, I expected someone who comes out with all guns blazing like Philippoussis, whom I once read that she had been compared to. I was surprised to see that her game wasn't exactly that. It somewhat more restrained.

She is still an apprentice of the game though. She only started playing when she was 11-years-old! That was only about 7 years ago, which makes what she's achieved so far in her pro career all the more remarkable.

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just off the topic now.:p

Eleni was surprised at the reception she got in Melbourne...she said it was like playing in greece ;)...i've never seen such a crowd before at tennis , it was like that of soccer , they had the greek flags and were jumping out of their seats literally , singing in greek and saying some nasty stuff too ...

i was sitting with ivas#1fan ,my arms folded...normally i'd cheer, but jesus there was no point , it would be muffled by those guys!!! :rolleyes: ...

well we got elenies signature after the match , and when she reaches the upper echelons of tennis it'll be worth alot more.and , she very well could...

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
Wow now that is some information I did not know about Eleni. For someone to play world championship tennis today when she started just a few years back is pretty impressive in many respects.

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
big bump

now that shes got a title and win over Henin things certainly look good for Eleni ...top twenty looms on the horizon!

surely shes cleared some of the doubt people may have felt towards her. I think fitness is the only main area she can target

:bounce:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I have never seen her play and and have no idea to her ability but judging by her results she must have talent.

But I do know that you will be hard pressed to find a nicer person and I really hope she continues to progress and reach the top.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
The first time I saw Eleni was in the quarters against Capriati. I was thoroughly impressed at how heavy her groundstrokes were. Some were literally dancing away from Jen. Bought a smile to my face. She seemed to have a good serve, and that backhand was awesome. I felt she could stand to lose twenty pounds because she did look awfully slow. But all the talent is there for her to be a top flight player. Top ten for sure. :cool:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts