Tennis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw her play her match against Capriati today, and I must say, I am impressed!!

She is only 19, and had an injury that sidelined her for 8 months last year. She is currently ranked 67. She is a great talent, but is not quite there yet cause I think she started playing late and did not have access to many training programmes and such. (She comes from Greece)

Her groundstrokes are fantastic, they are reminiscent of Amelie Mauresmo, with a huge back swing. But she takes her back swing very early, so it hardly affects her. She hits the ball hard, and can play consistent tennis at times. But when she gets impatient...

Her groundstrokes are fluid and beautiful to watch. She can take the ball early quite well. She hits accurately and seldom hits *nothing balls*. She has an interesting slice that slides away from her opponent. Good for down the line approaches.

Her volleys are very good. The fact that she won the junior doubles here at the Aussie Open in 1999 before justifies that. She does the dropshot quite well, concealing it well, but sometimes she does it at the wrong times.

Her first serve is excellent, thought she can hit it harder actually. She slows her swing a little near the top and that makes it less hard as it should be. Her second serve needs to be improved, it is sometimes quite weak. She just need to accelerate through her swing rather than just decelerate.

I think she is a great player with the potential to be at least top 15, maybe even top 10. Watch out for her!!

Go Daniilidou!!

PS: She has a nice name too! :)

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Yeah, she also reminded me of Momo with that sweet one-handed backhad of hers. If not for a loss of composure, she would have sent Cappy packing.

·
Banned
2,623 Posts
Hey Williams_rulez, that was a very good assessment of her!! :) I saw her play last night and I was impressed. I had seen her play Seles last year at the US Open but I hadn't got a good feel for her game until last night. She seemed to fall apart after failing to go up 2-0, but she's definately one to watch for! She also wasn't afraid to attack the net and I like that... most young players these days are staying back. I also found her service motion to be rather unique. Also, her greek fans seemed to be pissing Jen off!!! LOL!

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
Yes,I must agree,Eleni has alot of talent.
It was a great match also.I also loved the
Vee match against Hantuchova.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
10,772 Posts
I was impressed by the score, being a Jen fan, and from what I've seen on Eurosport news :eek: Definately one to watch

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yes, Daniilidou definitely has great groundstrokes and solid volleys as well as a good first serve. I think though that she could move a lot better, but if she is hitting the ball as well as she does all the time then her movement isn't going to hold her back that much. The thing I liked about her from what I saw of her match was that she refused to be intimidated by Jennifer and she dictated the pace of play and didn't let Jen rush about like she usually does....I think that is one of the biggest advantages Jen has over her opponents is that she speeds them up, gets in a groove and doesn't let her opponents really think about what they're doing. But Daniilidou was slowing down the pace of play all the time and pissing Jen off! I liked to see that! :D

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Yeah I was impressed, lovely flowing groundies but I think she needs to improve her fitness a bit to go further. And also when I was watching the match the commentaor went on and on about her game being modelled on Mark Phillipossus (sorry completely wrong spelling!!lol), what do u think??

·
Registered
16,198 Posts
indeed, great groundies!

My brother when he entered the room and saw Daniilidou on tv; Who's that guy? :eek:

·
25,388 Posts
I'd say we saw two great "potential" stars(Pam Shriver's words)in Eleni and Daniela. eleni is already dictating play at that age! The one drawback is her fitness. The potential is there though-and what was really intersting was her coming to net often behind slice backhands. That's rare these days, and if she learns to control the approaches is one more arrow in her quiver:)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Oh My god Arn, the EXACT same thing happened to me, I was watching the match, and my brother came in and asked if Capriati was playing a man...haha how werid is that?

·
Premium Member
21,310 Posts
Excellent post Williams Rulz! :) Its so great to see her getting the attention she deserves now :)

..well, since where on the subject of brothers entering the room and making comments...my bro asked, what has Jennifer been eating lately? ;)

Eleni is gorgeous, once ur standing face to face with her, u will understand why :kiss:

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Yup, one here for the Daniilidou! Heard her name for a while now, but don't know anything about her.

Great stuff William_Rulez. She hits a great ball off both sides (backhand is :kiss: ), with pop and placement. She tried a few things that didn't come off yesterday, but her brain was always thinking along the right lines.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Yes Eleni is one to watch in the future. She definetely reminded me of Amelie. I think in a few more years she will be up there. Good luck Eleni! Also, this was a good match to gauge Capriatis game. As much of a sucky match played by Jennifer she was still able to defeat this highly talented young Greek woman. Good luck to Jenn and Eleni in the future!!!

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
I agree , i saw her off court at the Hyatt and she is truly beatiful.....it isnt the steretypical beauty of blonde hair ,thin , blue eyes which portrays Kournikova.....but sh has this cute smile , long dark flowing hair , nice bubbly personality that really makes her a gem on and off court...

her groundies are very free flowing and not something that can just be trained , she has a solid serve and great volleys...she has the game , just needs experience....this year she can definately make her mark for Greece ;)!
goo girl :kiss:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts