Tennis Forum banner

Whose game does Rybakina's most resemble?

• Maria Sharapova

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Lindsay Davenport

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Dinara Safina

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rewatching the highlights of her match against Halep in Dubai earlier this year, her game really is so powerful and clean. In my opinion, it seems like a hybrid with elements of Sharapova, Davenport and Dinara Safina mixed in. The only really weakness at the moment is her movement. Good movers like Halep will still be able to somewhat expose her movement, much like what happened with Sharapova. If she can continue where she left off before the tour stopped, she will have a bright future ahead of her. I'm particularly a fan of her non chalant approach to matches and lack of theatrics. Simply lets her tennis do the talking.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I don't know the answer to the OP question. But I can say I'm an Elena fan. While I wasn't a fan of any of the poll ladies. I don't think she's of their ilk. But to be honest I don't remember much of Safina's style.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I think Rybakina is mostly like Davenport. Sharapova's game was actually modeled on Lindsay Davenport's game...there were similarities in their flat powerful groudstrokes, metronomic baseline rhythm, strong serve and slower movement and emphasis on offense rather than defense and great backhand. That's also very much Rybakina.

Sharapova is just so intense and that is a big difference to Davenport who was always so calm and cool (and quiet) and efficient...Maria is so aggressive she sprays errors as much as she hits winners. Davenport keeps her errors in check (as does Safina).

Safina was very defense heavy. I don't think Rybakina is like that. Though, that could be a way to improve her game and if you see similarities, then her movement must not be that big of a problem and can improve like Sharapova did from about 2010-2014 when she was actually moving better...she was kind of forced too.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
She's very watchable, and I feel really sorry for her as Covid19 came at a shocking time for her.

She was playing top 5 Level Tennis when the virus hit, and who know's if she will be able to get back to that fantastic form she had in those first 10 weeks of the season.
Hopefully, that will not be the peak of her career, but she must be cursing during this downtime, she must have been feeling that Tennis was becoming easy for her, and then NOTHING.

You never know in sport if you can get back to a certain level.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
She's the new Lindsay.

I saw her matches vs Kenin and Simona (probably she came with her best tennis there).
If she will improve a little bit her speed she will become very soon the top player of the tour.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
34,538 Posts
I don't see the similarities between her and Davenport at all. Okay they both hit hard, but how they generate their power looks very different to me. Lindsay was a big girl and she used her powerful frame to generate her power. In contrast Rybakina has a slight frame and a build that is anything but powerful. She generates her power through her timing and there is an effortlessness to her hitting that I can't really compare to any player I have seen previously. My vote therefore went with "other" although I am unable to specify any other player she reminds me of because there are none.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I don't see the similarities between her and Davenport at all. Okay they both hit hard, but how they generate their power looks very different to me. Lindsay was a big girl and she used her powerful frame to generate her power. In contrast Rybakina has a slight frame and a build that is anything but powerful. She generates her power through her timing and there is an effortlessness to her hitting that I can't really compare to any player I have seen previously. My vote therefore went with "other" although I am unable to specify any other player she reminds me of because there are none.
I disagree. Lindsay was a big girl just like Elena. In my opinion, Lindsay's powerful strokes were because of her size and technique, which was perfect. Elena has a great technique as well.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Rybakina doesn’t have a slight frame. She’s very tall, with broad shoulders. That said, I also do not see the similarities to Davenport (though it would be perfectly acceptable to lump them both in the category of big hitter). Davenport was more aggressive & had a much lower shot tolerance. Rybakina is less serve dependent and moves better. Her ground strokes are effective equally for their depth as they are for their pace. Her game reminds me more of Sharapova’s.

·
Registered
17,954 Posts
Lindsay’s strokes were pretty technique-driven and, as such, looked pretty effortless to me.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I disagree. Lindsay was a big girl just like Elena. In my opinion, Lindsay's powerful strokes were because of her size and technique, which was perfect. Elena has a great technique as well.
Right? I'm thinking does Shvedbarilescu really think Rybakina is a little thang? She is big and slow with excellent and efficient strokes. The similarities to Davenport (and to an extent, Sharapova) are valid. Definitely more like a Davenport. Anisimova is also like Davenport, come to think of it but she sprays errors like crazy these days.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
She’s an efficient version of Safina. Everything is just a bit more compact and smoother. Safina has a very draining game- but those long strokes-backswings.

Rybakina I also think is a tad faster (maybe just younger). She can refine a few more things but the foundations of a great game and a top player are there. The mentality is great imo. All business, just like Barty.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
She’s an efficient version of Safina. Everything is just a bit more compact and smoother. Safina has a very draining game- but those long strokes-backswings.

Rybakina I also think is a tad faster (maybe just younger). She can refine a few more things but the foundations of a great game and a top player are there. The mentality is great imo. All business, just like Barty.
😂😂😂😂😂😂

You were the ONLY person who thinks she's like Safina, yet you say I need to raise my tennis IQ.

Errrkay. You first tho

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
😂😂😂😂😂😂

You were the ONLY person who thinks she's like Safina, yet you say I need to raise my tennis IQ.

Errrkay. You first tho
Leave me the fuck alone boy.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Leave me the fuck alone boy.
Boy? 😁😁😁

Um, ok. You can assume my gender.

Okay, ill leave you alone with your deluision. Byeeeeee. 😘😘😘😘😘😘

Reactions: Conjoshruk

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
she's definitely the best hitter on the tour currently with Anisimova and even if I very much prefer Amanda's smooth elegant strokes, her abysmal serve leaves a lot to be desired there...Rybakina ir even more taller and powerful than Amanda and has a much more reliable serve so I guess a sky is the limit for her here.

·
Registered
11,005 Posts

I would not call Rybakina 'slight', also do not forget that she stands 184 centimetres tall and it's a big asset when it comes to hard hitting. Petra Martić is tall but slight, albeit athletic.

But other than that I agree, games of her and Davenport are not that similar at all. Elena actually does not rely that much on first strike tennis as many other players on tour.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
She has some similarities with Pliskobot. Tall players with good serve, clean flat groundstrokes, and poor movement. Though I guess that could be said for similar tall players like Davenport. Her calm demeanor is also like Pliskobot. But she probably relies on her serve less and is more aggressive than Bot.

Her timing on her groundstrokes is awesome for sure. Yastremska also is similarly not exactly the most muscly of players but still deceptively has a ton of power. Obviously, there are quite a few differences in their games... she's not a total BBB like Dayana.

Ultimately Rybakina is... Rybakina lol. Though I guess that doesn't really answer the question haha.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Of the young players, I really like Rybakina. I like her lack of arrogance (yes you Bianca) and her no nonsense attitude to the game. She’s a really exciting prospect and was probaBly one of THE form players in the early months of 2020. It will be interesting to se if she picks up where she left off.She has a nice all round game but like Sharapova and Davenport and a lot of tall players (apart from Venus) movement is not her biggest strength.
With her game and attitude, she’s is a bit different from Osaka, Andreesc, Kenin and the other young guns and in the future, I think she could be one of my faves 😀😀

Reactions: jimbo mack
1 - 20 of 22 Posts