Tennis Forum banner

501 - 520 of 542 Posts

·
7,502 Posts
She won the first set against Polona 62, but lost in three sets in WTA Bucharest.
I read in the live commentary thread that she injured her arm during the match (which might explain the loss). I asked the guy for more details (especially when during the match), but he never came back on that.

Let's hope nothing too bad.

·
Registered
14,536 Posts
I read in the live commentary thread that she injured her arm during the match (which might explain the loss). I asked the guy for more details (especially when during the match), but he never came back on that.

Let's hope nothing too bad.
Looking at a few points from the last game or so, I see no strapping. I don't think it could be anything major if she has no strapping.

Seems like she took a medical timeout for her right hand at 3-2 in the second set. Trainer seemed to work on the area near the base of her thumb. Didn't win any more games in that set.

Gabriela then went up 3-0, double break up in the third set, Polona smashed a racquet. Then Elena Gabriela lost the last 6 games in a row, although she didn't stop fighting at all, things just started going against her. I don't really see any obvious signs of her injury hampering her, should be minor.

I do see that Polona is wearing a top with a skull on it :eek:. She's a tough badass or something.

·
7,502 Posts
I do see that Polona is wearing a top with a skull on it :eek:. She's a tough badass or something.
Yeh, she's the tough type, with all her tattoos and stuff. Not my style (at least those tattoos don't make more more attractive to my straight eye :cool:). The racket smashing and dominant display might have intimidated or somehow worked psychologically on Elena (whether she's gay or not :p).

It's a basic stuff not many players understand: when someone smashes a racket, they are vulnerable 'cause they are frustrated, so that's the time to up your game and frustrate them even more. Because otherwise they are bound to draw some motivation from that frustration and change something that can work against you. Instead, some players change nothing after that, or even expect even more that the match goes their way by itself, which is so rarely the case. I'd think that's basic stuff sport psychologists would teach them.

·
Registered
14,536 Posts
Yeh, she's the tough type, with all her tattoos and stuff. Not my style (at least those tattoos don't make more more attractive to my straight eye :cool:). The racket smashing and dominant display might have intimidated or somehow worked psychologically on Elena (whether she's gay or not :p).

It's a basic stuff not many players understand: when someone smashes a racket, they are vulnerable 'cause they are frustrated, so that's the time to up your game and frustrate them even more. Because otherwise they are bound to draw some motivation from that frustration and change something that can work against you. Instead, some players change nothing after that, or even expect even more that the match goes their way by itself, which is so rarely the case. I'd think that's basic stuff sport psychologists would teach them.
I don't find tattoos etc on girls attractive either, not many straight guys do. By comparison Elena-Gabriela has quite charming femininity.

However Polona and her coach/husband I believe (Krajan, formerly Safina's coach, I'm pretty sure they are a couple although not 100% sure) both have multiple tattoos and must connect on a similar level. Aside from the tattoos Polona is an athletic and attractive woman, if a little tomboyish. When I see her I often think, if she was a guy, she would be a good looking guy- she's more handsome than pretty, but she's definitely not ugly at all, she has a look that reminds me of the pretty boys in boy bands all around the world.

I'm not sure Elena was intimidated by the racquet smash, Polona smashed her racquet when she double faulted to go down 0-40 at 0-2, then after that Elena still broke her.

But then, she wasn't able to hold to consolidate the second break, and things started to turn.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
There wasn't anything visibly wrong with Gabriela. She played a good match imo.... Polona is a very good clay player, it's not a bad loss :shrug:

She does have skull tattoos but that's just the logo of her clothing sponsor, Hydrogen Sportware. And yes, she is engaged to her coach... although she used to date Daniilidou for a while.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts

·
Registered
14,536 Posts
Lost in the qualies in Monterrey against Kucova, but got in as a lucky loser, where she played defending champ and 2nd seed Garbine Muguruza.

Seems like she plays better against better players, but still doesn't quite get over the line- same thing happened last year against Aga Radwanska where she didn't take her chances.

She started great, double break up 4-1 serving, but still lost the first set. Served for the second set at 5-4, had 3 set points, couldn't take them.

Eventually lost 64 76(4)

She actually has a very nice game, but doesn't seem to understand the knack of winning. A pity because I would like to watch her play more often.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
Still I think she'll make it eventually and become a good WTA player. The game is there, she's not one to struggle financially, so it's just a matter of time until things start clicking imo.
I hope sooner rather than later, cause Romanian tennis needs some fresh air, not that we'll have too many to watch in a few years... :(

She's scheduled to play qualies in Bogota [unless she and Bogdan win today in Monterrey] and doubles as well, with Irina Bara. Source:

https://twitter.com/danielradutenis/status/1114031757643407362?s=19

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Gabi had a very good week in Nottingham, making it through qualifying all the way to to her first WTA quarterfinal and came really close to beating Caroline Garcia. Hopefully she keeps playing well once she gets to actual grass courts as well, but this is encouraging for Wimbledon qualifiers :cheer:

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
https://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/tournaments/women's-tournament/info.aspx?tournamentid=1100045297

By my reckoning, she needs 1 more withdrawal to get into Ilkley quals - the SE spots won't affect her, so she will move up 2, and both the main draw and q draw have 19 players instead of 20, so that's another 2 out. Bolkvadze played in Birmingham quals, so that should be her out, so she needs one additional player from those listed above her to withdraw for her to get in.

The sign in deadline is in 2 hours and we should see the Q draw in about 3 hours, so fingers crossed she gets in.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
There were 2 additional withdrawals, but no sign of Gabi, and Ozgen and McPhee who were below her in the entry list have sneaked in.

I see she has posted a story on Instagram saying 'beautiful Bucharrest', so I assume she has gone home for a week. She'll have done better than she would have realistically expected last week in Nottingham, but a bit of a shame she's only had 2 actual matches on grass before Wimbledon Qs. Unless she just feels in a much better position now and it's job done, a week at home then back to England for Wimbledon quals the week after next?

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
There were 2 additional withdrawals, but no sign of Gabi, and Ozgen and McPhee who were below her in the entry list have sneaked in.

I see she has posted a story on Instagram saying 'beautiful Bucharrest', so I assume she has gone home for a week. She'll have done better than she would have realistically expected last week in Nottingham, but a bit of a shame she's only had 2 actual matches on grass before Wimbledon Qs. Unless she just feels in a much better position now and it's job done, a week at home then back to England for Wimbledon quals the week after next?
She also stayed in Nottingham on Saturday for doubs QF and semis with Monica Niculescu and probably expected to make finals on Sunday. Turned out not be the case, but am not sure rushing to Birmingham late in the evening for a potential early qualifying match next morning would have been the best course of action, either. She does seem to be back home for now, but am hoping she heads out to Roehampton sooner rather than later and gets some grass practice in. Confidence-wise she must be feeling good after her best showing in a WTA tournament :)

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Made it to the MD here, just slightly sad it had to come at Irina Bara's expense in R2. Know she enjoys bigger stadiums and large crowds, but hopefully she avoids top seeds until later rounds this year ;)

QR1

Fanny Stollar (HUN) d (11)Nao Hibino (JPN) 76(2) 26 10-8
Katarzyna Kawa (POL) d (wc)Francesca Jones (GBR) 63 67 (1) 63
Elena-Gabriela Ruse (ROU) d Sesil Karatantcheva (BUL) 62 62
Irina Bara (ROU) d (18)Allie Kiick (USA) 67 (4) 61 64

QR2
Katarzyna Kawa (POL) d Fanny Stollar (HUN) 75 63
Elena-Gabriela Ruse (ROU) d Irina Bara (ROU) 62 57 64

FQR: Elena-Gabriela Ruse (ROU) d Katarzyna Kawa (POL) 75 61

·
Registered
21,985 Posts
I'm happy that Elena-Gabriela has qualified :) I hope she can use the experience of last year to her advantage this year.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Yes, unfortunatelly she drew Goerges who seems in form and should be a tough opponent but if she can get past her, she could face Serena in R3. Exciting!!!

501 - 520 of 542 Posts