Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
26,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean, that's just amazing: Every time I see her play again, her serve has gone worse. :eek:
Her ball toss is now so far to the right that she almost has to dive to reach it. Of course from that position she has to use massive slice to just get it over the net. Speed is about 40 MPH, and double-faults are no rarity. Every decent player should have an easy time hitting a return winner. That means that Alicia Molik should be ashamed that she couldn't take any advantage from it. :rolleyes:

So I guess Elena still hasn't got a coach. But even her tennis-ignorant mother must realise that there's something wrong with that serve and that Elena will never reach the top 10 again this way.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
This is why she very rarely beats top players anymore.

She normally gets them around the first time because they are so thrown off by the lack of speed.

Surprisingly, the lack of speed is a good strategy, I guess. It just throws everyone off. ;)

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
GD, Elena and her mother are 2 very stubborn Russians. You are right about her serve getting worse. :mad: Her serve wasn't a major problem in 1999 and 2000. But now it's a disaster! :eek:

Elena was briefly working with Eric Van Harpen. But nothing came of that. She needs a good coach her get get her to take a step back and re-make her serve. It would help if she actually bent her knees a little on her serve to take some pressure off her beleagured right arm and shoulder. But right now she just has an arm serve. Which naturally causes arm problems. Elena often shakes out her right arm like it's bothering her. Of course it's bothering her. It's an arm serve.

I don't mind a slice serve. But Elena's slice second serve is so soft it sometimes throws off her opponents. But a big girl like Dementieva should not have such a lightweight serve. :(

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Her second serve reminds me a bit of Conchita's ... :) More like a forehand than a serve ... ;)
But she has so much power from the back of the court, why can't she serve with the same power?? is it just a lack off 'technical skills' then?

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
did anybody see the dementieva/molik match. i swear every one of her serves made me cringe, i think she was gonna make me go insane, jokes aside. and what second serve???? her first and second serves are exactly the same. and can you please take a look at her technique, she jumps on it like a crippled lady. and she always, but ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!! serves out wide, i have no clue why Alicia didn't pic up on that. i seriously have no clue how this girl won a title, and how she's even rankes in the top 20, let alone the whole damn ranking system

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
She serves especially bad that time, I will be interested to see if its getting better or worse.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Yea her second serve is pretty weak, but if u have seem her play hella good, she hits her serve pretty fast, about 105mph, when she hit it that fast, the other player was thrown off, but then she hits a 70mph first serve after a 105mph second serve....funnie...yet skillful

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
Naldo said:
did anybody see the dementieva/molik match. i swear every one of her serves made me cringe, i think she was gonna make me go insane, jokes aside. and what second serve???? her first and second serves are exactly the same. and can you please take a look at her technique, she jumps on it like a crippled lady. and she always, but ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!! serves out wide, i have no clue why Alicia didn't pic up on that. i seriously have no clue how this girl won a title, and how she's even rankes in the top 20, let alone the whole damn ranking system
we got your point...

I wish you spend as much time analyzing why Dokic can't win any matches anymore... and going down and down and down....

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
tenn_ace said:
we got your point...

I wish you spend as much time analyzing why Dokic can't win any matches anymore... and going down and down and down....
i would but thats because i havent seen Dokic really. i saw that Dementieva match and i pounced on it

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Actually Elena Ds first serve isn't that bad - it's just that it doesn't go into play often enough!

Her second serve is very weak, and more of a liability than an asset. In fact during the match with Alicia, Elena looked far more comfortable and confident when she was receiving - even a serve like Alicia's.

Where Elena is strong though is all court play. That's why her ranking has kept high through all her troubles with serving. She won against Alicia because of her athleticism and speed around the court, combined with her big groundstrokes on crucial points.

In the last three points of the tiebreak, Elena demonstrated how devastating she can be, saving set point and winning the match with some amazing hitting.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I saw her play doubles at the US open last year and agree w/ Doc,.. once she gets the ball in play, she has great groundstrokes and a solid overall game.

her serve, well, again and again we see that in women's tennis it is important to have a good serve, but not critical. Many players w/ relatively weak second serves have won many tournaments and have acheived high rankings (Hingis, Venus for example). Even Kimmie C, our new #1, has a relatively benign serve. its not bad by any measure, but its not a weapon. Capriati as well, her serve mainly is used to just get a point started.

anyway, the point is that in the women's game, having a GREAT serve can help you immensely, however, having a bad serve doesn't hurt you as much as it would in the mens game. imho.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
RAA said:
I saw her play doubles at the US open last year and agree w/ Doc,.. once she gets the ball in play, she has great groundstrokes and a solid overall game.

her serve, well, again and again we see that in women's tennis it is important to have a good serve, but not critical. Many players w/ relatively weak second serves have won many tournaments and have acheived high rankings (Hingis, Venus for example). Even Kimmie C, our new #1, has a relatively benign serve. its not bad by any measure, but its not a weapon. Capriati as well, her serve mainly is used to just get a point started.

anyway, the point is that in the women's game, having a GREAT serve can help you immensely, however, having a bad serve doesn't hurt you as much as it would in the mens game. imho.
Venus' second serve is not as weak as Hingis' and Dementieva's. In fact, you could see the improvement of Venus' second serve at Wimbledon. It was consistently in the high 80s to low 90s range. That's fast for a second serve. At Melbourne she was hitting it low 80s. She has improved it much this year.

Hingis' and Dementieva's second serves were always in the 70s and still are, except, Elena's sometimes goes into the 60s. I think it's strange, but, I think Hingis' serve was a lot better than Elena's.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Dementieva's first serve has gotten a bit better, but her second serve is rediculous

but the DF's are down, and she seems motivated by AI, so we'll see

I really think all the russians should get together and talk about things like their second serves, because thats what's holding alot of them back

1 - 13 of 13 Posts