Tennis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Elena is showing signs of that same frustrating quality of near brilliance followed by near mediocrity. Is being tall and skinny a dis-advantage?
 

·
Moderator - Juniors
Joined
·
13,437 Posts
I don't think that Elena and Mary Joe are on the same level. They may have somewhat similar bodies physically, but the difference mentally was huge. I don't think Elena has near the variety of Mary Joe, nor the cleverness. Mary Joe made up for her size with a very intelligent game, while Elena though skinny, can still hit a pretty hard ball. I think the only reason Mary Joe didn't go further with her career was due to injury more than anything else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,358 Posts
Elena shinny? I don't think so! You need to check out her photos again. Elena has an awesome physique! She has incredible legs. They are long and strong! Elena's arms used to be skinny, but now they have some muscle on them, in the bicep area. Sure, Elena is not as strong as Serena Williams or Kim Clijsters. But she's no weakling either. I like Mary Jo. But she was a finesse player. Elena is a power player. But I would like Elena to learn to be more patient, the way Mary Jo was when she played.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
27,114 Posts
Aside from actually winning a grand slam, Mary Joe pretty much did everything else with an intelligent game and solid play.

I have yet to see either from Dementieva on a consistent basis which is a shame. I think she needs to calm down a bit on court and then she'll get even better results than she has now - she has great potential. For her, being tall and skinny is an advantage as she's quite atheletic.
 

·
Captain of the SS Dementieva
Joined
·
15,125 Posts
wow!! how things of changed hehe Lenas Tall allright but def not skinny!! that girl has muscles I ,as a guy ,would be proud of! serious muscles! MJF was a nice player to watch too ,well lets hope Lena can break the curse.
 

·
Captain of the SS Dementieva
Joined
·
15,125 Posts
DevilishAttitude said:
BUMP ;)

Thanks to the Dementieva slam thread. :p

Who was Mary Jo Fernandez. I know she had success but what career did she have and what style of play? :confused:

Mary Jo was an American player from the late 80s to early nineties ,she too ,if I remember rightly had a less than great serve ,she was very quiet and reserved also ,there are def similarities in there behaviour although I do fell Lena is way way WAY more powerful ,there is no comparison at all in the "Style" of their game ,Lena is more agressive at times too! but both lovley girls!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,857 Posts
dementieva indeed is more simuler to grand slam winners than grand slam finalists ;)
she just doesn't leave and margin for error on her strokes.
she'd definatly better then MJ on the groundies, but both were very athletic.
i remember MJ giving monica seles some great rallies in the aussie open.
good times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
DevilishAttitude said:
BUMP ;)

Thanks to the Dementieva slam thread. :p

Who was Mary Jo Fernandez. I know she had success but what career did she have and what style of play? :confused:
Mary Joe Fernandez reached three Slam finals - the 1990 and 1992 Australian and the 1993 French - losing to Seles and Graf. She was ranked in the top 10 from the late 1980s to the mid 1990s (usually around the #4-8 range). Fernandez won two GS doubles titles - one French and one Australian.

Fernandez also won the gold medal in doubles at the 1992 and 1996 Olympics with Gigi Fernandez, and a bronze medal in singles in 1992.
 

·
Worshipping the bangs
Joined
·
62,496 Posts
Hey, let's hope Lena follows Mary Jo into the broadcast booth so we can enjoy her after her playing days are over . . . even though it would most likely be Russian TV, which won't do me a bit of good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,883 Posts
Winston's Human said:
Mary Jo Fernandez reached three Slam finals - the 1990 and 1992 Australian and the 1993 French - losing to Seles and Graf. She was ranked in the top 10 from the late 1980s to the mid 1990s (usually around the #4-8 range). Fernandez won two GS doubles titles - one French and one Australian.

Fernandez also won the gold medal in doubles at the 1992 and 1996 Olympics with Gigi Fernandez, and a bronze medal in singles in 1992.
yeah,the jolly old times....i was a big mary-joe fan(in fact i think,she was my first teenage love... :hearts: ),and for gigi too!but as i mentioned already a few times,its always difficult to compare two generations.but both are/were very,very talented players,no doubt!!
 

·
Worshipping the bangs
Joined
·
62,496 Posts
rhz said:
people... it's MARY JOE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cut him some slack, he only (winston's) human. ;)
 
  • Like
Reactions: Winston's Human

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,523 Posts
rhz said:
people... it's MARY JOE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, you are right. It's sometimes confusing because "Joe" is a male name, but here's the reason: MJF's full name is Maria Jose Fernandez, with "Maria" her mother's name and "Jose" her father's name. So, being a male name, "Jose" should be shortened to "Joe" instead of "Jo". Hope that explains it.

Nowadays when people talk about "Maria" it's always THAT Maria, but there've been more "Maria"s in WTA than most people know. For example, Steffi Graf's middle name is also Maria.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,595 Posts
I loved MJF, although she looked completely exhausted all the time. She will probably be best remembered for clawing her way back from 6-1, 5-1 against Satabini in the QF's of the French Open. She was a fighter but I always had the opinion she was too nice to be a true great
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,062 Posts
the cat said:
Elena shinny? I don't think so! You need to check out her photos again. Elena has an awesome physique! She has incredible legs. They are long and strong! Elena's arms used to be skinny, but now they have some muscle on them, in the bicep area. Sure, Elena is not as strong as Serena Williams or Kim Clijsters. But she's no weakling either. I like Mary Jo. But she was a finesse player. Elena is a power player. But I would like Elena to learn to be more patient, the way Mary Jo was when she played.
I agree 100%
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top