Tennis Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
3121 - 3140 of 5002 Posts

·
👑 не дум&#10
44,686 Posts
And to add a recent article, here's more proof that non-fans are also starting to realize the intangibles that Elena brought to the WTA tour and why we'll all miss her presence as a player on the tour:
http://allineedisapicketfence.wordpress.com/2010/10/31/herstory/
just from glancing through it i can tell this is the kind of tennis fan i hate. obsessed with glamour and major titles. effectively spends the article trying to justify that it "Doesn’t make it an unsuccessful career. Doesn’t make it a life of regrets" Get back to your divas you shallow @#$%*

·
Registered
526 Posts
Does she wants to be the TV stars? If she finally do,we may probably see her dance more and more.that is really funny!!!
Elena on "Dancing with the Stars"? :lol: Funny thought, but I don't think she would do that kind of show. She wants to be known for her on-court accomplishments and not for participating in pseudo-talent shows consisting of PR-hungry talentless celebrities.

Perhaps she wants to be a tennis commentator or columnist. Of course, a journalism degree can also lead to a career in PR or communication, perhaps in the Russian Tennis Council or with the WTA. And if her children decide to become tennis players, she will of course assume the Mommy Vera role :D

·
Registered
526 Posts
just from glancing through it i can tell this is the kind of tennis fan i hate. obsessed with glamour and major titles. effectively spends the article trying to justify that it "Doesn’t make it an unsuccessful career. Doesn’t make it a life of regrets" Get back to your divas you shallow @#$%*
I agree 100%. Sports are not just about winning and losing, but as much about the process.

As a sports fan, rooting for a team or a competitor is not affected by their win/loss percentage but by intangible things such as fighting spirit, skill, attitude, charisma, personality, identification and sense of community with other fans.

And for a sports competitor, a loss may end up feeling like a win for similar reasons.

I'm sure Elena feels that her career had a happy ending.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
All this "journlism" studies have nothing to do with Elena's future plans. I don't think that Elena is studing "Journalism" for seeking future job. I don't think that she will be "regular" Journalist in the future and will not deal with non-tennis topics and clearly does not want to be "TV star" like for example Myskina ambitions. She can be Tennis comentator but for this she does not have to learn anything in the University. She can do it now and apparently she have some actual offers from Russian channels. She is just studing in the University because she wants to study something, she could learn History, Philosophy or anything else.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Elena on "Dancing with the Stars"? :lol: Funny thought, but I don't think she would do that kind of show. She wants to be known for her on-court accomplishments and not for participating in pseudo-talent shows consisting of PR-hungry talentless celebrities.

Perhaps she wants to be a tennis commentator or columnist. Of course, a journalism degree can also lead to a career in PR or communication, perhaps in the Russian Tennis Council or with the WTA. And if her children decide to become tennis players, she will of course assume the Mommy Vera role :D
I would really love to see that :drool: Mommy Lena:drool::drool:

·
Registered
526 Posts
All this "journlism" studies have nothing to do with Elena's future plans. I don't think that Elena is studing "Journalism" for seeking future job. I don't think that she will be "regular" Journalist in the future and will not deal with non-tennis topics and clearly does not want to be "TV star" like for example Myskina ambitions. She can be Tennis comentator but for this she does not have to learn anything in the University. She can do it now and apparently she have some actual offers from Russian channels. She is just studing in the University because she wants to study something, she could learn History, Philosophy or anything else.
You might be on to something there. But if Elena chose to study journalism in order to soak in the university atmosphere and educate herself, it's a bit of a weird choice. Several of my friends study journalism at university and it's one of the least university-like educations possible. Of course, there's some theory and some general course material to read, but mostly it's a very hands-on subject where you will do a lot of field work and probably work as an intern somewhere as part of your education. So unlike most other university studies, studying journalism actually prepares you for working life as a journalist or as a PR person, instead of giving you a general education mostly geared towards writing a thesis. Thus, literature, history or philosophy would be more natural choices if Elena just wanted to study something.

Yes, many retired sportsmen become TV commentators without any journalistic training, but most of them suck at it because it's a very different world from competing yourself. I think Elena is too ambitious and dedicated to accept a job without any formal training - probably one of the reasons why she didn't accept Tarpishev's offer.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You might be on to something there. But if Elena chose to study journalism in order to soak in the university atmosphere and educate herself, it's a bit of a weird choice. Several of my friends study journalism at university and it's one of the least university-like educations possible. Of course, there's some theory and some general course material to read, but mostly it's a very hands-on subject where you will do a lot of field work and probably work as an intern somewhere as part of your education. So unlike most other university studies, studying journalism actually prepares you for working life as a journalist or as a PR person, instead of giving you a general education mostly geared towards writing a thesis. Thus, literature, history or philosophy would be more natural choices if Elena just wanted to study something.

Yes, many retired sportsmen become TV commentators without any journalistic training, but most of them suck at it because it's a very different world from competing yourself. I think Elena is too ambitious and dedicated to accept a job without any formal training - probably one of the reasons why she didn't accept Tarpishev's offer.
She is studing jounalism at the Philology Faculty

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
So now I'm really confused: She is learning in the faculty of Journalism or in the Philology Faculty? these are two different places...

·
Registered
526 Posts
"In 1952, by the decree of Council of Ministers of USSR, the Faculty of Journalism was opened on the base of the Journalism Department of Philology Faculty of Lomonosov Moscow State University and the Editorial Publishing Faculty of Moscow Polygraphic Institute. Associate Professor Evgeny Lazarevich Khudiakov was appointed the Dean, Associate Professor Peter Fyodorovich Yushin – Deputy Dean."

I'm confused as well :help:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hmm, Wikipedia is even more confusing:

"The Department of Journalism was established in 1947 at the Faculty of Philology of the Moscow State University. In 1952 it was reorganised as the independent Faculty of Journalism. Nowadays it is considered to be a leading school of journalism and mass communication in Moscow, Russia and as well as the CIS countries."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSU_Faculty_of_Journalism

·
Registered
526 Posts
Ah thanks, it's difficult to keep these similarly named institutions apart from each other :lol: I wonder if being a part of the Philology Faculty gives this journalism degree a different slant compared to the one at Moscow State University?

Here's how Google Translate translates the relevant parts from your link:

Journalism students in compulsory attend creative workshops such prominent journalists as VA Slavin (Professor, Member of the Union of Journalists, the editor of the newspaper "Pedagogical University" - a workshop for print media), O. Shvartina (a member of the Union of Journalists, a correspondent for the magazines "Spark", "Change," "Young Guard," a workshop for print media), AV Ivonina (a member of the Union of Journalists, a correspondent for the news service of Channel One - a workshop for television), NN Yaremenko (a member of the Union of Journalists, a correspondent for Radio Moscow Speaking "- a workshop on the radio), etc.

In journalism are invited to choose a student one of the following specializations:

• «Periodical Press;
• «Information activities of the journalist on the radio;
• «Organization and technology news broadcast on TV»;
• «Small-circulation newspapers and mass media;
• «Today's press-service";
• «Information and music media;
• «Fundamentals of music journalism;
• «Educational Media.
. .
Faculty students may select an additional educational program "Interpreter in the sphere of professional communication and a diploma of" On further (to higher) education "with qualifications" Translator in the field of professional communication. "

The Faculty collaborates with the Russian Academy of Sciences, Russian Academy of Education, many universities and teaching universities in Russia, CIS and foreign countries.

Practices

(...)

Journalism students out to practice in the leading Russian media: magazines, "Change," "New World", "Science and Life," Journal of Education, Science and School "and others, Radio Moscow Speaking," Mayak 24 "Radio Russia" Echo of Moscow "," City-FM »and others, TV First Channel, TV Channel" Russia "," TV Center "," Culture, 7 TV, "Interstate TV" Mir ", RBC-TV and others; news agency Itar-Tass, Interfax and other

Student Life

At the faculty, students can develop and creatively. There are different forms of kulturnomassovoy and creativity of students: those are the creative community, as a student theatrical group "Poetry Theater", a student theatrical group Steff, dizaynerskokreativnaya group of designers, "Darin", a literary anthology of students - LAS. - Swallow "wall newspaper" teacher of literature, creative association "Literary Cafe". Faculty regularly holds meetings with famous writers, poets and scientists: J. Alferov, Aitmatov, V. Rasputin, A. Volos, V. Korjikoff, E. Uspensky, B. Makanin and many others. Traditionally, faculty concerts and costume balls, confined to such holidays as the Day of Knowledge (1 September), the birthday of the University (November 1), New Year (according to tradition, the celebration begins in the foyer under the glass dome of the main building, where students and teachers of dance Waltz), "Tatyana's Day" All-Russian day of college students (25 January), etc.

In addition obschefakultetskih activities, students faculty also actively participate in university-wide events: art song in the competition, held at Moscow State Pedagogical University in 2005 and 2006, our students won prizes in two different categories. Successfully made our students and the competition of amateur.

Faculty students attend various sports sections MPGU participate in many sporting activities, such as sports day Moscow State Pedagogical University, our students achieve success in competitions in table tennis, sambo, wrestling

·
Registered
127 Posts

And we can see her struggling more and more if her child is a little similar to her on the court.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Imagine Mommy Lena's reaction when Little Lena looks up at her in the stands and yells "I hate my serve!" :haha:
No, you're wrong :p Lena mentioned she'd like to share her experience with children so that they don't struggle as she did, so her kid will have great serve and awesome forehand and hopefully her and Max's speed on the court/rink :angel:

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
I don't think it's all that complicated. At least in the US, a department of a university will often be a subset of a larger unit of the school. For example, at my old school, the School of Speech included not only Theater, but also Film and Television, Speech Therapy and Special Education for people who wanted to teach children with speech problems.

My guess is that since studying journalism and journalism is a (by the standards of academia) "new" degree path, it was placed under the aegis of an older department (knowing how academic bureucracies work). So Lena's probably taking a pretty typical journalists courseload.

I was a journalism major and you do take a lot of courses on history and politics as well as writing and interviewing etc. so you can be at least somewhat versed on the things you may potentially cover. You have some leeway to pick, for example if your goal is to write more about business you would take some business or econ courses instead of politics,etc.

I think Lena, if she is serious about being a journalist, is going to throw herself into with the same level of dedication and hardwork that characterized her as a tennis player. Plus, unlike a certain other famous tennis player from Russia, Lena is still (and this is part of her lovableness) quite shy and not always "camera-ready." They actually teach you how to behave and come across as confident and interested and all that stuff in journalism school. (She's gotten way better over the years, but even in the clips from her show there are still times where the sweet, shy, Lena is clearly visible, and unfortunately that would just be death if she were calling a tournament or doing a big interview on camera).

She's a smart, determined woman though, and if she wants to be a journalist she'll be a damn good one.

3121 - 3140 of 5002 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.