Tennis Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
3001 - 3020 of 5002 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
=Protoss;18777788]Jelena Jankovic, Martina Hin[QUOTEgis, Justine Henin, and Venus Williams have better career head to heads vs Serena. Elena does have the best record against Serena from Moscow 2007 on counting those who had more than 2 matches against Serena in that time period. :)

I dunno about that. Elena lost to her would be 3rd opponent Kleybanova a few weeks later,(YEAH BUT SHE WAS IN HER SLUMP PERIOD :sad:) has an 8-7 head to head lead against her would be quarterfinal opponent Petrova (BEAT HER AT FRENCH :worship:) , and lost to Zheng this summer(WHILE STILL RECOVERING FROM CALF INJURY :sad:). BUT WHO REALLY KNOWS???:lol:

Only if 3 and 20 aces are similiar. :p

I'd say that most of those players you listed aren't dominating. :shrug:

I don't think Elena was that good after the Australian Open this year even before being injured at the French Open.[/QUOTE]

well - Lena did have a slump post Aussie.

Do not agree that the players listed over 26 are not dominating today - they are all top 10 - Woz is very much improved this year and is the only really younger player to consistently do well (not so much against these top 10s) and perhaps AZA. (Don't know Sharapova age - 25? - and Justine is what 26 or so?) Which younger players beat them consistently? Which younger players have been regularly in the GSs over the last couple of years?

Oh - on aces at Wim - I was only counting aces 113mph and slower. Not fair to count really fast aces.:lol: If you want to count the faster one - I guess (upon fact checking) you are correct.:wavey:

by the way - where do you get your stats? I haven't had much luck with wta.

·
Registered
37,855 Posts
Thats a thought actually, now that Lena has become a non active player, I assume that means bye bye all her sponsors and contracts such as Yonex, what about the Sunglasses one etc?

Lenas income is obviously going to take a major hit next year, her wage as a journo or whatever will be a pittance compared to what she earned ezch year before, I guess shes invested wisely and it wont be a problem for her, but its bound to be a factor, shes going from a few million a year to possibly a few hundred thousand, quite a drop for her.
Not neccessarily. Martina Hingis kept her contract with Yonex and some other companies when she retired for instance.

·
Captain of the SS Dementieva
15,125 Posts
Well, there is no better abassador to the sport and being non active doesnt change that one bit, they might as well use her, playing or not, people will still want her racket etc.
I would like to think she can still endorse sporting products etc as she has done.

I am betting Team Lena (vera) has made sure that she will be endorsing things for some time to come yet.

·
¡Davai!
14,076 Posts
so, she is in Japan? Really shame. I was looking forward to this event tomorrow, It would be nice salute from the Russian tennis. now we are really in the desert in terms of Elena apperences in the near future....
oh what a shame, I was really hoping to see photos and vids of that event.

damned Yonex:fiery:
they still keep ruining it for us even now :sobbing:

Yonex must have treated and still treat Lena very very good(they gotta!!), afterall she made their outfits present in the tennis world for so many years, and if a girl ever bought a Yonex potato sack it was because of Elena, not because they´re nice:p:angel:

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
well here in Chile Marcelo Rios still have contract with Yonex and Nike... Yonex would really lose letting Lena go away... anyway I still want her raquet! and I still have my Yonex Raquet

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Here is interview with Maxim Afinogenov from yesterday november 11: http://www.izvestia.ru/sport/article3148213/

the last question was about Elena and as always he said NYET-

и: Полторы недели назад ваша подруга Елена Дементьева завершила карьеру. Повлечет ли это какие-то изменения в вашей личной жизни?

афиногенов: Личная жизнь, она на то и личная, чтобы оставалась при мне.

Google trnslation:

One and a half weeks ago, your girlfriend Elena Dementieva ended his career. Does it entail any changes in your personal life?

Afinogenov: personal life, she then personally to stay with me (??)

·
Adrenaline junkie
22,820 Posts
Big interview of Tarpischev about Lena's retirement:

http://www.sport-express.ru/newspaper/2010-11-13/8_8/

- Lena left too early. She had a potential to win, and he is sure she would have won a GS , if she'd play more
- her results or form provided no reason for her to leave, only circumstances of family and personal life could be a reason
- her comeback should not be ruled out, She got very strong legs, that will almost certainly keep her fit and capable or return
- he offered her a post of Vice President of Russian Tennis Federation
- he really appreciated her always ready to play for national team

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Which is why he barely put her in anymore...

·
Registered
9,186 Posts

- Lena left too early. She had a potential to win, and he is sure she would have won a GS , if she'd play more
- her results or form provided no reason for her to leave, only circumstances of family and personal life could be a reason
- her comeback should not be ruled out, She got very strong legs, that will almost certainly keep her fit and capable or return
Google translation:

Shamil Tarpischev

DEMENTIEVA can still return

The fact that Elena Dementieva set up to finish his career this season, I learned early in the year from a conversation with her mom. And then he said that, from my point of view, to do it prematurely, because the subject focus on Grand Slams and the right training for them Lena yet fully able to win not only at Roland Garros or the US Open, but even at Wimbledon , where she was twice able to reach the semifinals. Still, in recent years, Lena largely corrected the filing, which long suffered, it has become more diverse technical and tactical arsenal - in general, it was in igrotskom search. And could very well still be added - up to fifteen per cent.

Virtually no doubt: if the condition of formation of sparing a calendar of our Olympic champion in Beijing 2008 in the end would have won the title of the winning championship Grand Slam - the only major title that did not appear in her collection. In general, if you do not take into account the circumstances of personal and family matters, which are probably accompanied by the adoption of Lena decisions about care, and I'm ready to say that she left a little early.

However, I did not think a fantastic option that Dementieva will be back. After all, tennis player with such strong legs, like she usually retain a certain level of physical fitness, even after a long break in the speeches. In any case, it would be nice if Lena was left in the sport, who has devoted his youth. That's why I invited her to the position of Vice-President of Russian Tennis Federation. I think in that role could be for Dementieva good starting point on the path to the future.

Life is the outlook for Lena are very good. Because of this nature, combining hard work and discipline, a fanatical devotion to tennis and objective assessment of their place in life, probably no more at one of our tennis players. With a natural gift of communication, Dementieva well kept in public. She is fluent in two foreign languages, a second year student at the Philology Pedagogical University.

And it features a real patriotism - qualities that are not so common among young people. So I simply must thank Lena because she is always trouble-free to play for Russia in Fed Cup, and never anything for it is not requested.

Get at least the last example - the idiotic situation in which we are due to volcanic eruption, temporary suspension of air flights and numerous injuries were before the April match against the USA. When I explained it all Dementieva, who was at that time in America, it is without further ado agreed to play, flatly refusing to material incentives. By the way, in a duel brought Lena team two points, and we take a third, no doubt, would have won this year's Federation Cup, as in the home finale against Italy would be able to put the strongest part.

First among our tennis players win gold and silver Olympic Games, Dementieva throughout his career by his actions has demonstrated dedication to their country. It is therefore absolutely right that it was she who first Russian tennis had already won three awards - Friendship in 2001, Honor in 2009, and "For Merit" IV degree recently.

Stars of the WTA Tour movingly performed Lena at the final tournament in Doha. I, on the other hand, we wish it to, firstly, personal happiness, and secondly, to fulfill all her desires, and, thirdly, to cause to which she devoted her life eventually became her hobby. Because when the work and passion are the same, a person is happy most of all.

Shamil Tarpishchev - a member of the International Olympic Committee
President of the Russian Tennis Federation
captain of the country in the Davis Cup and Fed Cup

* Elena said that she told hin only in Doha, He said that he knew from her mom about her plans but apparently didn't talk with her. Maybe Elena didn't knew that her mom already told him. this is little weird when he is convinced that she could continue another year at least. If he knew, why not to talk with Elena about it and try to change her mind earlier this year?

* He is really upset, no?...

*Vice president of Russian tennis federetion?! this is something new? this is significant role or only symbolic title? and what she said?...:confused:

·
Captain of the SS Dementieva
15,125 Posts
I truly think Itzhak has "Dementieva Tracker 3.0" on his PC, the poor girl will not be able to take a leak without him knowing about it :lol: and thank god for that, were would we be with out our Israeli Friend, up the proverbial without a propulsion device thats where.

Anyways, Nice if Lena takes that Vice Presedent thing, not sure what it entails but it keeps her busy.

I agree a lot with Tarp, she DID leave tennis a bit early as far as her game was concerned, she is STILL one of the best athletes out there and strong enough by far, sure she got an injury this year but then so did a lot of the youngsters , Vika was horizontal on court every time I saw her, so Lena has and still does have, plenty of gas in the tank, you cant compare her to other players of her age as shes just built so differently.

However, as far as starting a family is concerned it IS the right time and it DOES leave time for Lena to have another go if she so wishes, her mum is still young enough to help and Lena feels now is the time, we have to respect that.

Now, here goes, I know I will be shouted down and told "NEVER" but I truly think Lena WILL be back, in 2 years or so she will be 31 and STILL in great shape, she wont let that go to pot, she is first and foremost an elete Athlete and that will not change, she will get bored and know shes capable of having another go, she will not enjoying simply talking or writing about a sport shes still very much capable of playing to a high level. The WTA is weak right now and for quite some time it will get weaker, most of the current top player will be gone inside two years and the up and commers are not a lot to write home about at all.

Lena can compete in 2 years, maybe even 3, believe me, and I would put money on it if it were possible, we havent seen the last of Lena on a court in a competitive match, for now, we will have to just look out for pics of her etc, but she will return, I feel certain... I could well be totally wrong, but I dont think so, she loves the sport too much and hasnt left after and injury.

·
👑 не дум&#10
44,686 Posts
oh what a shame, I was really hoping to see photos and vids of that event.

damned Yonex:fiery:
they still keep ruining it for us even now :sobbing:

Yonex must have treated and still treat Lena very very good(they gotta!!), afterall she made their outfits present in the tennis world for so many years, and if a girl ever bought a Yonex potato sack it was because of Elena, not because they´re nice:p:angel:
I think the recent Yonex dresses would look better on short, rounded girls. More like the Asian figure.

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts

I hereby nominate this sentence for Understatement of the Year.
I hereby nominate this sentence for Understatement of the Decade.
I hereby nominate this sentence for Understatement of the Century.

Can I get a second?

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
Here is interview with Maxim Afinogenov from yesterday november 11: http://www.izvestia.ru/sport/article3148213/

the last question was about Elena and as always he said NYET-

и: Полторы недели назад ваша подруга Елена Дементьева завершила карьеру. Повлечет ли это какие-то изменения в вашей личной жизни?

афиногенов: Личная жизнь, она на то и личная, чтобы оставалась при мне.

Google trnslation:

One and a half weeks ago, your girlfriend Elena Dementieva ended his career. Does it entail any changes in your personal life?

Afinogenov: personal life, she then personally to stay with me (??)
Lena is a veritable Chatty Kathy compared to Max.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
In the Elena's Russian forum is reported that there will be exclusive interview with Elena and program about her past and future in 18 November 20:00 Moscow time on tennis channel plus. This is Russian channel?

·
Adrenaline junkie
22,820 Posts
Lena is a veritable Chatty Kathy compared to Max.
He is kind of a weird person.. Looks like he is actually quite shy or maybe not sociable..
I actually once happened to be tête-à-tête and in much closer distance to him, than ever to Lena :(.. I didn't tell of that funny very brief encounter here before, as kind of , thought it is kid of related to Lena's private life, but at this point when they finally admit openly they are a couple, it no longer matters..

After the first day of Fed Cup match in Birmingham, Alabama, I needed to kill some time.. The area where the hotel and the venue is a bit secluded in a sense , that it surrounded by highways, a lot of offices, and slum-like residentials, therefore there is nothing to do there at all on weekend. No restaurants, no parks, no nothing..
So I did some laps around the venue/hotel area, and it is some big lap, like a couple of miles, if you round the whole area, and then went to Sheraton's small gym. After working out a little, I head for my room,entered the elevator, and I was there alone, then the door of elevator open, and there he enters. Presses the button of 15th floor. Now I know.. :) Small elevator, you know..
Surely he knew I recognized him.. I mean.. I was wearing the jersey of my team, Lena's original team's Spartak Moscow.. He knows the colors. He must hate them too, as much as any son of his original hockey club would - KGB's sportsclub Dinamo Moscow would :). There is a long and bitter history between two clubs and it did involve politics and not only, but that's a separate story.. .. But surely he knew that a person wearing Spartak Moscow colors in such [email protected] as Birmingham,Alabama could be here for one and only reason, and person interested in Russian sport that much can't but know who Maxim Afinogenov is. Still the silence was not broken. I smiled a little, but he didn't.. I didn't even ask him why he didn't attend the match, while his Thrashers teammate Slava Kozlov did. Then it was my floor, door open and I left..
There were few more interesting encounters on that weekend .. as everyone was in the same hotel :).. it was a fun time, even though we lost.. But then we had Stowe triumph a couple of years before.. Win some, lose some .. that's tennis..

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I don't think he looks weird at all, he's just not willing to talk about his personal life. I've read interviews with him, he's quite talkative whe it comes to hockey, but he would just reply something like "my personal life will remain so" when a journalist tries to change the subject to Lena. I watched that TV interview from Nedelya sporta and Lena did magnifiscent to answer the shower of question on whether she'll get married etc. She was eloquent without giving away information. I guess he's just shy, because I've read he doesn't give many interviews in general.This interview is the only one I've read, in which he answers to more than 1 question on Lena. It goes like that:

Do you go on court against the 5th ranked player in the world?
- What are hinting at?
Do you play tennis with your girlfriend - Elena Dementieva?
- I can't say that I am Lena's regular hitting partner. We would run on the court a couple of times a year. Special matches are not arranged
Does Lena advise you?
- If I ask, then, of course.
You travel to her tournaments...
- If it's possible. I really like to visit the Grand Slams. The most colorful and large is the U.S. Open in New York. But I love Wimbledon with its ancient traditions and rules. Nothing is changing there. It's just like hundred years ago - the athletes must be dressed in white, no stripes. People seem to live in 1910.
Why don't you show/publicise your relationship with Dementieva? You're such a beautiful couple!
- I think that personal life should not be made public. I don't like this, Lena either. If people feel good together, why should they announce it to the whole world?
Tell me at least, how did you meet Dementieva.
- It was in 2004 at Roland Garros. I arrived in Paris with a friend - as a fan, to watch tennis. I met Lena there.
How did she fare?
- Reached the finals ... Okay, guys. We agreed on half an hour interview. And it's half an hour and three seconds already (Afinogenov clearly looking at his watch.)
Will Lena travel to cheer for you in Vancouver?
- That's it, I have to go. We're playing against Anaheim this evening (Maxim shook hands with us.)

·
👑 не дум&#10
44,686 Posts
- Reached the finals ... Okay, guys. We agreed on half an hour interview. And it's half an hour and three seconds already (Afinogenov clearly looking at his watch.)
Will Lena travel to cheer for you in Vancouver?
- That's it, I have to go. We're playing against Anaheim this evening (Maxim shook hands with us.)
Sounds like a barrel of laughs

3001 - 3020 of 5002 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.