Tennis Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
2981 - 3000 of 5002 Posts

·
¡Davai!
14,076 Posts
According to someone on my formspring, some Russian sports papers are reporting Lena is pregnant. Of course, they also reported she and Max were married a few years ago.
well I was cheking online for news on google.ru and searched for Elena Dementieva pregnant, and nothing showed up, not even one link. :unsure:

I found this while searching:
http://www.gazeta.ru/news/sport/2010/11/03/n_1567095.shtml

what I could understand from the translator is that the reactions from the fans was something she wasn´t expecting and that letters, sms, messages are still arriving and it makes it sadder (or more difficult?) and that her mom was the one that didn´t expect such reaction from the fans.

I wonder what on earth were they expecting? :sobbing: like a "whatever" reaction??
I think she doesn´t really knows how much she means to us and how her retirement affected us....

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
:lol: i'm a girl and I don't think that Elena is pregnant at all...

If Elena is pregnant she hadn't play the YEC or any tournament knowing that she is pregnant

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Lena would not have sex before marriage. Remember, she always said she was a GOOD girl :)
:lol::lol::lol: Come on!!!!!!!!!!! Do you really believe that or you WANT to believe that :lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
13 Posts
:lol::lol::lol: Come on!!!!!!!!!!! Do you really believe that or you WANT to believe that :lol::lol::lol:
I find Makatieva right, Elena would not have played the last game or tournament if she had been pregnant ... In addition, everyone should or already know, that Elena does not walk with things ... : P. .. And if she wants to finish his career in college, nor should it be ...

·
Registered
13,389 Posts
an excerpt from miffedmax's Dementieva tribute :

The big knock on Lena will always be that her resume doesn’t include a major. But I’m not sure it really matters. When a number of journalists and publications ranked the Top 10 players of the decade, Lena ranked #10. Would a slam have moved her ahead of Mauresmo, Clisjters, Kuznetsova? She would have had to have won multiple slams to have moved up the list, frankly.
But the fact is that the numbers will never quite do Elena justice. At a time when the Top 100 is bursting with Russians, they routinely pick up titles and make runs at majors, it’s easy to forget the Elena was the second of the post-Soviet era after Kournikova to make a major impression on the tennis world. She was the first to make a US Open semifinal. The first to break $5 million in prize money. And, of course, the one of the first to play in an all-Russian slam final. Of course, she can’t take all the credit for her countrywomen’s success. But there’s no question she was an inspiration to the current crop of Russians, and played a major role in the changing demographics of the WTA.
Then there’s her role as an Olympian. Dementieva has long insisted that she’d rather win Olympic gold than a major. And while hers is still a minority opinion on the tour, there’s no doubt that the Olympic title is growing in importance and prestige. Again, it’s not solely due to Lena, but there’s no doubt that the fact she took it so seriously helped add to the luster of Olympic gold. For me, as a fan, I’ll always believe that Lena did have one slam in her, but that she used all that energy and focus on the Olympics instead.
http://onegametolove.blogspot.com/2010/11/dementieva-ends-her-run.html

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
I just hope I came close to doing her justice.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just hope I came close to doing her justice.
Thanks for the nice tribute - didn't know you had a blog
Couple of points -

1. Silver medal - Lena in general gets almost no credit for that - seldom even mentioned (great you mention it). To win a Silver and then eight years later the gold says an enormous amount about her character and play.

2, All time Ranking - well I don't have stats for Maresmo or Kuz - but do believe if Lena had won a GS she would have at least overtaken Maresmo perhaps Kuz. Others?

3. Serena - good point you make. Raised this here last week - does Lena have the best overall record v Serena? Certainly in the last few years from Kremlin Cup 2007 on she has done better than any other - defeating Serena numerous times (Sydney title this year - Rogers Cup last year). Lena SHOULD have won that Wim semi last yeat - SO many purely lucky breaks for Serena including Lena's match point where S just managed to dribble over the net and numerous line calls in Serena's favor by mere mm.

4. Lena has continually improved her game (and missing from your blog). Despite our frustrations here with Lena in 2010 - as I have postulated before - in many ways this was either her best year (Wim and Eastbourne and French final being absent from her ranking because of her injury) or nearly so. Cruel fate to get Justine in 2nd round at Aussie (L did have set points in both sets). Justine went on to win that portion of the draw for the final V Serena - Lena would have done the same. She retired at the PEAK of her career. Who knows for sure - but if she had played next year (and maybe a couple more after that) what could she have achieved? Her serve was really becoming a weapon (especially its placement - I think she and Serena had very similar numbers of aces at Wim 2009 semi). She just missed the finals at last years Aussie & Wim - (odd result v Oudin at US open). Age 29 - really not clear in the 'modern era' what an upper age limit for the women might be. Clearly Lena, Serena, Venus, Franny, Kim, Vera & Sam (26) dominate. Could they still do that at 35? Maybe.

5. A little credit for Lena's healthy perspective on life and interest in having a family?? I respect her for the decision.

6. Rankings - reached #3 last year (as our Russian friends like to say #3 racquet in the world) - would have hit #2 this year with the French GS - and where from there if healthy?

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
My fucking thoughts exactly.
Amazing how lightly people go over it...
Well, from a guy's perspective, if I'm Maxim, this is the first time my lovely girlfriend hasn't been jetting off every few days for a tennis tournament. I know they (and I assume it's a mutual decision) want to start a family, but I'd want to have a little quality time with my sweet, hot, girlfriend before I added a kid to the mix.

Couple of points -

1. Silver medal - Lena in general gets almost no credit for that - seldom even mentioned (great you mention it). To win a Silver and then eight years later the gold says an enormous amount about her character and play.

2, All time Ranking - well I don't have stats for Maresmo or Kuz - but do believe if Lena had won a GS she would have at least overtaken Maresmo perhaps Kuz. Others?

3. Serena - good point you make. Raised this here last week - does Lena have the best overall record v Serena? Certainly in the last few years from Kremlin Cup 2007 on she has done better than any other - defeating Serena numerous times (Sydney title this year - Rogers Cup last year). Lena SHOULD have won that Wim semi last yeat - SO many purely lucky breaks for Serena including Lena's match point where S just managed to dribble over the net and numerous line calls in Serena's favor by mere mm.

4. Lena has continually improved her game (and missing from your blog). Despite our frustrations here with Lena in 2010 - as I have postulated before - in many ways this was either her best year (Wim and Eastbourne and French final being absent from her ranking because of her injury) or nearly so. Cruel fate to get Justine in 2nd round at Aussie (L did have set points in both sets). Justine went on to win that portion of the draw for the final V Serena - Lena would have done the same. She retired at the PEAK of her career. Who knows for sure - but if she had played next year (and maybe a couple more after that) what could she have achieved? Her serve was really becoming a weapon (especially its placement - I think she and Serena had very similar numbers of aces at Wim 2009 semi). She just missed the finals at last years Aussie & Wim - (odd result v Oudin at US open). Age 29 - really not clear in the 'modern era' what an upper age limit for the women might be. Clearly Lena, Serena, Venus, Franny, Kim, Vera & Sam (26) dominate. Could they still do that at 35? Maybe.

5. A little credit for Lena's healthy perspective on life and interest in having a family?? I respect her for the decision.

6. Rankings - reached #3 last year (as our Russian friends like to say #3 racquet in the world) - would have hit #2 this year with the French GS - and where from there if healthy?
Thanks. You have some good added points, but I only contribute to the blog and I had a word limit! ;)

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
Apparently Elena will NOT be tomorrow in the Russian Tennis National awards because currently she is not in Russia. There will be some tribute for her in the Ceremony but she will not be there. This is according to the director of the Ceremony here (http://www.championat.ru/tennis/article-70780.html).

However, the reason for this is that she is obligated right now to do some promotions which she could not delay and thus she will not be able to be tomorrow. damn, it could be really big salute (and also new pics...) but what is these promotions?! she is not in Russia now?

This is the google translation:

"- Last year was a very touching part in the ceremonies connected with the departure from tennis, Marat Safin. Something you cook in connection with the retirement of Elena Dementieva?

- Unfortunately, the planned contract schedule commitments Lena Dementieva did not allow her to be on these dates in Russia. It depends not on us, and as I understood, not even from her. Career, she has finished, but some promotional commitments it has remained. Unfortunately, to move them somewhere else, she could not postpone. We expected to last, and I know that she also tried to influence the situation, but unfortunately did not happen. Nevertheless, naturally, we give the plot at the beginning of ceremony that we pay tribute to our famous tennis player, who left a professional career. This is what we must say."

·
Registered
37,855 Posts
Couple of points -

Jelena Jankovic, Martina Hingis, Justine Henin, and Venus Williams have better career head to heads vs Serena. Elena does have the best record against Serena from Moscow 2007 on counting those who had more than 2 matches against Serena in that time period. :)

I dunno about that. Elena lost to her would be 3rd opponent Kleybanova a few weeks later, has an 8-7 head to head lead against her would be quarterfinal opponent Petrova, and lost to Zheng this summer.

Only if 3 and 20 aces are similiar. :p

I'd say that most of those players you listed aren't dominating. :shrug:

I don't think Elena was that good after the Australian Open this year even before being injured at the French Open.

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
Yonex!:mad:

I will maintain until my dying day that Lena would have won at least 4-6 slams if those idiots at Prince hadn't LOST her contract, leaving her free to sign with those shower curtain designers!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Well I was kind of joking about that :) At Stanford this year Elena and Max were always together with no Mommy Vera in sight,soooooo....
But I do have to agree that Elena would not have been out there competing on the tennis court if she was pregnant.

·
Captain of the SS Dementieva
15,125 Posts
Thats a thought actually, now that Lena has become a non active player, I assume that means bye bye all her sponsors and contracts such as Yonex, what about the Sunglasses one etc?

Lenas income is obviously going to take a major hit next year, her wage as a journo or whatever will be a pittance compared to what she earned ezch year before, I guess shes invested wisely and it wont be a problem for her, but its bound to be a factor, shes going from a few million a year to possibly a few hundred thousand, quite a drop for her.

2981 - 3000 of 5002 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.