Tennis Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
2861 - 2880 of 5002 Posts

·
Captain of the SS Dementieva
15,125 Posts
It's become the JFK moment...
Anways, we gotta start looking forward now, let's have a guess as to where we will see lena next, I reckon there will be an award at next years paris tourney, ala momo.

If she's going to comnentate or something she's bound to be at a few of the euro tourneys.

I wonder if she will spend all her time in Moscow, didn't she say she has a place in Florida? Might have to go back there If so.... she needs to get a little bit of Sun afterall, not a lot if that in Moscow

·
Registered
953 Posts
Her residence is listed as Monte Carlo, im not sure about Florida. Im afraid if she gets into journalism or commentator, that wont help us much here in the US. I had to stay away a few days, everytime I came here and read postings it made me sad, now it seems better......

·
15,125 Posts
She will visit the US, plus I am sure she bought a condo in nyc, plus we do have cameras in Europe u know, I am sure anything she writes in Russian papers can be translated etc.

My guess is she will travel s little, just not so much.

·
Registered
9,185 Posts
She'll appear on 8 november (Sunday) in Russian Sport program on NTV+;

I assume that the next big wave of her news/photos will be next Saturday at the Russian Tennis annual awards on 13 November. This will be probably the big occasion for the Russian players and other tennis officials and coaches to salute her. It's not official but I will be surprise if she will not be there.

·
👑 не дум&#10
44,686 Posts
The bonus of not doing a farewell tour is the huge wave of recognition she is getting right now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
She'll appear on 8 november (Sunday) in Russian Sport program on NTV+;

I assume that the next big wave of her news/photos will be next Saturday at the Russian Tennis annual awards on 13 November. This will be probably the big occasion for the Russian players and other tennis officials and coaches to salute her. It's not official but I will be surprise if she will not be there.
Thanks for the tip - I hope some kind person will post it on UTube and/or post a translation. Would be nice if TennisChannel or Eurosport would cover the annual Russian Tennis awards. Thanks so much itzhak for all your recent posts with such good information!!!!!:worship:

Keith is right - if she is a commentator in Russia or Europe we in the US will never get to see her. Here in USA #1 wierdo world all we get is TennisChannel or ESPN or network coverage of the end sessions of Wim/FrOpen sometimes on NBC. In #1land at my rural home in the Blue Ridge Mountains I cannot even get highspeed internet - which means it takes over 14 hours to downland her 47min TV spot on Russian TV - have spent 23 hours trying but of course the connection drops at about the 25min of 47min spot (if not before). And of course I cannot look at live streaming feeds of matches (although if lucky I get a frozen frame of Lena from a live match feed. But Oh - we do have the best foreigh cameras money can buy after all we're #1???? Unfortunately I don't travel to Europe anymore so will not get to see her there. She was just getting started when I was retiring - otherwise would have taken some oppurtunities to attend some of her matches in Europe.

After a week I have now memorized the entire farewell speech. Upon reflection - she did it just RIGHT. It was probably really the hardest for her - every tournament the last. So many private goodbyes. But to have announced it earlier and then have a 'grand final tour' - no. It really did seem to me about half way through the season that there was something else going on - you could see it in the way she played, in the way she waved to the fans and in some of her interviews. I do believe she was very close to the top of her game. The cruel calf injury (and Justine in 2nd round at Aussie AND Miami) was so unfair - without it would have at least the French, maybe Wim (at least a really good shot at it - she is so good on grass), maybe the US Open and a good shot at #1. That would have silenced the critics. Great ability to make HER decision and go out at the top!!:):)

·
Registered
1,892 Posts

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
If her old frenemy Nastya can balance motherhood and a career as a tennis commentator, then surely Lena can, too.

Indeed, I've spotted our dear Nastya on ESPN and Youtube more than once, as self-contradictory as ever, and still capable of summoning baleful stares when contradicted by anyone other than herself. Lena is far more fluent in English and French than the Dark Countess, so I wouldn't be surprised if she gets asked to do more work outside of Russia.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Thanks - I noticed when I copied the center one it had a caption 'weddsz5' - married already??
A few years ago there where rumors about them getting married but that wasn't true and I found that picture in one magazine of those magazines who started the rumor

·
Registered
526 Posts
Very sweet of the girls and the WTA! And Vera almost burst into tears again :sad:

In the Danish press, Caro and Elena were always so complimentary towards each other. They really seem to respect and admire each other very much.

In July 2009, Caro was asked by a Danish newspaper to assign names of current WTA players to individual tennis skills (best forehand, best serve, best tactical skills etc.). Caro picked Elena as the best grinder on the tour :)

In Doha, Elena was interviewed for Danish television about Caro, and at the end the interviewer asked Elena to share a secret about Caro. Elena just shook her head and said she wouldn't do that.

·
Registered
9,185 Posts
For some reason, Shahar Peer was not in the You-tube Tribute for Elena although she was there including in the ceremony.

As I know Shahar quite good I can say that she said to me again and again during the last years that there is nobody like Elena in the tour. Shahar wrote some kind of Blog from Doha (The picture with Elena is from that Blog)and the last one she of course wrote about Elena:

http://www.ynet.co.il/Ext/Comp/ArticleLayout/CdaArticlePrintPreview/1,2506,L-3977119,00.html

It's in hebrew but here is the lines about Elena:

...But before the end, it is impossible not to relate what happened on Friday, the last day of the group stage, when we all experienced a very emotional event. Elena Dementieva, one of the best players of all times, announced his retiremet. It was very surprising, but I know Elena is very complete with the decision. She was one of the most popular players on the court and outside.

Elena has achieved so much in her illustrious career, Olympic medals, winning big tournaments and reached two Grand Slam finals. She will be missed very very very much. I wish her lots of success in her new way, apparently Journalism Studies at the University of Moscow, as she told.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Keith is right - if she is a commentator in Russia or Europe we in the US will never get to see her. Here in USA #1 wierdo world all we get is TennisChannel or ESPN or network coverage of the end sessions of Wim/FrOpen sometimes on NBC. In #1land at my rural home in the Blue Ridge Mountains I cannot even get highspeed internet - which means it takes over 14 hours to downland her 47min TV spot on Russian TV - have spent 23 hours trying but of course the connection drops at about the 25min of 47min spot (if not before). And of course I cannot look at live streaming feeds of matches (although if lucky I get a frozen frame of Lena from a live match feed. But Oh - we do have the best foreigh cameras money can buy after all we're #1???? Unfortunately I don't travel to Europe anymore so will not get to see her there. She was just getting started when I was retiring - otherwise would have taken some oppurtunities to attend some of her matches in Europe.

)
I am in the exact same boat as you. Live out in the country, no high speed internet. Tennis on tv in the US is a joke......

·
15,125 Posts
Lena will visit the US, mark my words.

Is there no way you guys can get Eurosport? We get ESPN here in the UK as well as Skysports and Eurosport, woulda thought there would be a way via satellite or something, shit, you have BBC America showing endless Top Gear, Dr Who and Benny Hill so surely there is a way you can get European Tennis, what about the Tennis channel?

My absolute dream, and it wont happen, would be to see Tracey Austin dropped from a plane mid Atlantic and replaced with the BGO at Wimbledon. That shriveled old nasal shrew is so irrelivent to modern tennis and needs to be removed, an up to date player Like Lena would be ideal, great soft voice, superb English (better than Austins) and about 5 foot taller.

Still, dreams aside, I am sure Lena will show up on the haunted fish tank somewhere, and never underestimate the power of youtube and the internet for garnering Lena goodness.

·
Registered
9,185 Posts
I think right now we need to check out the Schedule of Maxim's matches in Russia because this is the big chance to see Elena watching him like he followed Elena when he was not playing in the NHL.

This pic was from last October 13 (or 12) just before Luxembourg when she was watching his match. of course, nobody knew then what Elena is going to announce two weeks later...

http://www.lifesports.ru/news/40437

Translation (google...):

Dementieva came to Afinogenov

Dementieva came out on a date for the match Afinogenov SCA in Sokolniki

11:00, Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Lena and Maxim - a very beautiful coupleFollowing Anastasia Myskina Elena Dementieva suddenly awakened interest in the CHL championship.

The other day the Russian tennis star was spotted in the stands Sports Palace Sokolniki, where watched the match, "Spartacus" with the Petersburg SKA. However, the game itself is of little interest ninth racket of the world: Lena came out on a date with her boyfriend - a star army Maxim Afinogenov.

Previously, the lovers have met in the U.S. where Max played in the NHL, and Lena came to tournaments and training, as well as in Monaco - where tennis has lived for several years.

However, with the transition of Mad Max, as his name is American, a Russian club has changed. Tight hockey schedule does not allow Afinogenov drive on Cote d'Azur, so I have to agree to date in dank Moscow. However, in Peter the weather's still worse.

- Life of an athlete is this: today you're here, tomorrow - there. Exchange may at any time. I think Maxim will not buy in St. Petersburg some real estate - said the agent forward Sergei Isakov, hinting that he is unlikely to settle in the city on the Neva.

Afinogenov and Dementieva met in 2004 at the Paris tournament at Roland Garros. Since then, they are one of the most beautiful couples in world sport, but trying hard to not flaunt their relationship.

·
15,125 Posts
Itzhaks on the job as usual...

If Lena shows up anywhere at anytime on any planet, he will have the pictures etc, who needs Eurosport etc when you have Itzhak on your team.....

Well done.. Always much appreciated...

2861 - 2880 of 5002 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.