Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hit out! At the end of that match you could tell she was more determined to not have Jennifer out hit her than win the match. jennifer hit some blistering balls, and Elena came back with even more. I think if she got eve a lil more stronger her "average" pace would do her even more good. But she was hittin some big and nice balls at the end of that match. she really should've had that attitude when she went out to serve for it at 5-4 up.

she has game. she to me is the best russian right now. even before Nadia.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I was thinking the same thing!!!!

I was watching her match with Lindsay SF from 2000 and man she was way more aggressive than she is now. It seems a lot like on her forehand she just wants to get it in most of the time.

I mean she can hit both corners with her forehand and backhand I don't know why she doesn't try to do that anymore!??!

Elena is definitely a great player, but much to improve on. :sad:

·
Banned
14,953 Posts
She served for the set at *5-4. :(

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
I already knew this lol..the only thing she needs to improve on is her SERVE! Plain and simple. And maybe a little more variety on her shots u know like slices and lobs. :)

·
Registered
122,493 Posts
Elena won her first tournament this year. And she's back in the top 10.
And she likes being with her mom. So I don't expect changes.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
who doesn't like being with their mom? It's her mom who needs to realize that she is ruining Elena's career with her piece of shit coaching!
Sorry, I'm just a little pissed of right now because of Elena's lost!

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
In 2000, Elena could be aggressive as she was new, no-one really knew her game and she could surprise everyone with it.

As time goes on, as a player, you learn to strike the balance between aggressiveness and playing smart. Elena showed this in Set 2 where she was serving for it (damn her serve!!).

Elena has become more smarter and realised that you can't kill every ball against the top players, otherwise that could lead to a huge number of UEs and lose her the match (which is what was hapenning in 2002).

I think Elena is really starting to find her game again this season. By improving on this and improving on that awful 2nd serve, she can really build on her current abilities and her ranking too!

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
She's already a good mover, so it's time for her to improve service game. If she cannot do this then fire her mother as coach.:tape:

·
Registered
16,898 Posts
I think Elena is satisfied with being a top 15 player who occasionally makes the top 10. And that dissapoints me. If she was really serious about fulfilling her vast potential she would have hired a professional tour coach a long time ago to help her with her game and her especially weak serve. But she still lets her mother run her career and life. :rolleyes:

As for yesterday, I expected Jennifer Capriati to beat Elena. And she did. Jennifer has more power, hits a deeper ball, hits a heavier ball, is mentally and physically stronger than Elena is. And her speed and forehand are equal to Elena's. So without having any advantages on Capriati, how was Elena supposed to beat her? Of course Elena served for the second set and promptly lost 3 straight games and the match. That was typical Elena being a tease. :( Just when you think she might do something special she blows it. :mad:

·
Registered
24,565 Posts
If anything, she needs to STOP trying oto outhit elite players. Ever since she beat Venus at the Olympics, she's played like she ahs the firepower to hang with the bighitters. She doesn't. What good does it do to hit a hard top spining ball that sits up right in Jenn's wheelhouse?

The title isn't won by whoever hits the hardest. It's won by who plays the best. Elena D gets from baseline to net better than most. In fact, she does that better than players who are much faster. I'd build on that, rather than playing 'Quien es muy macha?'

·
Veelieve!!!
33,802 Posts
Volcana said:
If anything, she needs to STOP trying oto outhit elite players. Ever since she beat Venus at the Olympics, she's played like she ahs the firepower to hang with the bighitters. She doesn't. What good does it do to hit a hard top spining ball that sits up right in Jenn's wheelhouse?

The title isn't won by whoever hits the hardest. It's won by who plays the best. Elena D gets from baseline to net better than most. In fact, she does that better than players who are much faster. I'd build on that, rather than playing 'Quien es muy macha?'

:eek: :eek: UHHH Venus won the gold medal at the olympics. She beat Vee at FedCup '99 :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I think Elena wasn't actually overpowered by Jen. The statistics show more winners for Jen, but that had a lot to do with Elena's timing of the ball and her poor play from the beginning. When Elena finally awoke, she and Jen were evenly matched for winners and UEs.

Jen hits the ball so sweetly, yet Elena was able to hang with her and match her for pace and power too. At times she outhit Jen.

Jen, Venus, Davenport and Henin, the elite that we are mentioning, have all stated Elena hits the ball very hard, not just average hard.

What Elena needs to do is work on that consistency of hitting hard, as the top players are able to bang away big shots and keep them in more consistently.

Elena made her way to net succeeding about 40-50% of the time. She knows how to volley, but doesn't choose the right shot to get to net.

Give Elena a decent serve, she'll crack the elite players.

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
Elena was not overpowered by Jen, she hiot a lot of good winners. Also there was a couple of rallys, where she OUTHIT Jen, I remeber thinking 'Elena there is no way you are going to outhit Jen on the crosscourt forehand' and she did.

I think Jen justv stepped it up when it mattered in both sets, cos Elena was looking to make a comeback in the first, she nearly had 5-3 and I cant help but think what may have happened if she didnt DF on that point.

·
Registered
43,627 Posts
Her serve is the biggest weakness. Capriati was crushing her returns. Her forehand is great; her backhand is good enough. She is a decent mover.

The thing that continues to seperate her from where she is now vs. the top players (Capriati, Kim, Justine, Venus, Serena, Lindsay) is the serve.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.