Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Before I give my report i just wanted to say that the standard of tennis today was very high from all the players. Every match was competitive (regarless of scoreline) and UI think only 1 match lasted less than 50 minutes. It was a real mix of weather, sunny, showers but a very strong, cold wind that caused everyone (including specators) problems.

I'll go through the matches in draw order :)

(13)Thamara Jonkman vs Liana Park

Liana was making only her 2nd appearance in a senior event, and did pretty well. Park was powerful, but wild, and hit alot of UE's which really cost her. Jonkman has nothing to trouble Jane tomorrow.

Game, set and match Jonkman 6-3 6-2 (not 100% on scoreline)

(14)Rebecca Fong vs Sarah Mcfadyn

Mcfadyn is actually the head of the ball boys here, training them and stuff. Her rating is 2.3 and she put up a good fight against the world ranked Fong. The first set was close, lots fo deuce games, Sarah had some game points but was unable to convert. Fong regrouped in the second and although the scoreline looks easy, it certianly wasn't.

Game, set and match Fong 6-3 6-1

(3)Emily Webley-Smith vs Claire Ricketts

Emily was looking :drool: but has heavy strapping around her ankle. Ricketts played a horrible first set, spraying balls everywhere. Emily is just too god really, and although Ricketts got to grips with her in the second, there was only ever one winner.

Game, set and match Webley-Smith 6-1 6-3

Yee Wong vs (16)Jeannine Kuratli

Okay, everyone stop slagging off Yee. She is a good player. Her single handed backhand is beautiful and her serve is good too. Her forehand is pretty poor but that can be worked on. There are onyl two tings stopping Yee from going anywhere fast, she can't finish off points: she creates space, goes for teh winner, and her opponent runs it down, she doesnt have enough power. Secondly, she isn't very good and creating the points, she will push her opponent to one side, then hit is three-quarter lenght down the middle. There were plenty of long rallies and tight games, 30-30, deuce, but Kuratli could coem up with the shots when it matter. Wong really deserved at least 4 or 5 games.

Game set and match Kuratli 6-2 6-0

(4)Natalie Neri vs Georgie Stoop

This match was a cracker! Neri is stunning, very elegant, beautiful one-handed backhand. She won the first set easily 6-2, as Stoop missed easy shots and allowed herself to be dominated by Neri, who was a strong presence at the net. The second set was very tight, both girls had chances before Stoop edged it 7-5. Neri refound her form, and was hitting slice backhands which barely crossed the net, and used dropshots to great effect and served for the match at 5-1. Stoop broke her. Neri had two match points at 15-40 on Stoop's served, Stoop saved them. It was soon 5-5. After a LONG game Neri finally got going as Stoop hit yet another forehand long.

Game set and match Neri 6-2 5-7 7-5

(9)Dominque Van Boekel vs Roseta Navarro-Pons

This was the only match to last under 50 mins. It was also the only match that wasn't competitive. Navarro-Pons is horrendous, it was just moonball after moonball after moonball. Van Boekel just smacked them away for winners.

Game set and match Van Boekel 6-0 6-0

(5)Katie O'Brien vs Joanna Craven

This was another close match as both play very similar games. It was really a case of who could keep their error count teh lowest, as a few shots smacked off the back wall. O'Brien took the first set 6-3, then Craven went up a break and had a few chances to go to 5-4, but O'Brien broke back. Katie then found a way through Craven's solid defence and took the win.

Game set and match O'Brien 6-3 7-5

(10)Alice Mackenzie vs Harriet Piercy

Piercy is tiny!! She musn't even be 5ft, and compared to Alice looks like a little elf or something! Lots of long rallies in this one, and this was a match where the scoreline was deceptively easy. Alice had to work hard for her win, as Piercy really forced the best out of her.

Game set and match Mackenzie 6-1 6-3 (not sure about 2nd set score)

(6)Elise Tamaela vs Rachel Porz

Elise is small, but has a huge head!! (i mean literally, not that she has a big ego). Porz is also small, but is much more bulky. This match took ages to complete, and Porz caused Tamaela alot of trouble, she just cuoldn't finish off the points. She'd get herself into a winning position and from nowhere Tamaela would come up with a winner. rachel has several game points on her own serve, and really deserved more.

Game set and match Tamaela 6-0 6-0

Tarminder Grover vs (12)Vanessa Wellauer

Grover is so sweet, you just want to go "awwww". This was yet another match where the scoreline hides how hard teh victor had to work. There were lots of long backhand rallys in this match (Grover's double hander is pretty good). Grover's main problem is that she had a ton of double faults, she just couldn't get in the box. The result was she was always on the back foot, and Wellauer was all to happy to capitalise. Tarminder shoudla had more.

Game set and match Wellauer 6-1 6-0

(7)Karina Jacobsgaard vs Nicola Allan

Doning her Fed-cup cap, Jacobsgaard got off to a great start breaking Allan in the first game. Allan was playing well, but Jacobgsaard wasn't missing a thing and took the first set 6-2. After a short rain delay, Allan got back into it, and started playing some really nice tennis, but Jacobsgaard always found a reply, and lead 5-1. Allan got back a break, but Jacobsgaard hit bakc straight away. Allan is very talented, so keep your eye out for her in the next couple of years.

Game set and match Jacobsgaard 6-2 6-2

Carly Homewood vs (15)Natalia Papadopolou

This is going at the end as it has to be the most amazing match I have ever seen.

(8)Cecilia Quarracino vs Elizabeth Thomas

Thomas is a very ncie player, nothing flashy, seh just does what she does, and for the most part does it well. She was there with her parents, and it's pretty much her first ever event outside of Hastings Tour. She got off to a nice start, and her opponent (ranked 843) looked decidely poor. Thomas took the opening set 6-3, but probably shoulda taken it 6-0!! In the second set the errors began to creep in, and Thomas slipped to a 1-5 deficit. She fought back to 3-5, before the Argentian took the set with some nice baseline play. In the third set, Thomas' game deserted her, she had chances but just hit far too many errors, as she became frustrated things got worse.

Game set and match Quarracino 3-6 6-3 6-1

Hannah Grady vs (11)Anna White

Anna didn't play well at all to be honest, Grady was all over her. White tried to come into the net, only to get passed, lobbed, or have the ball smacked at her so hard seh couldn't get hte volley back over. After a tight first set, she fell away, as Grady claimed another good win.

Game set and match Grady 7-5 6-2

So one match left. Before I go any further i just wanna say that both girls really showed themselves at their best, flawless displays. It was such a shame one had to loose. Oh, and the match lasted four hours!! It was finally over at 8:35pm and let me tell you it was freezing cold, raining, and blowing a gale.

Carly got off to the better start, breaking the 14-year old Swede twice to take a 4-1 lead. At this point you may be wondering why Carly wasn't seeded, she is the 2nd highest ranked player in the draw. She didn't know either, something to do with her being a late entry, to which she pointed out: "so was Jane". Anyway, Papadopolou got herself together and got back to 4-4. Homewood had a couple of set points at 5-4, didn't take them, and started screaming at herself. They got to 6-6, 1-1 in teh breaker and they had to go off for rain. 15 mins later they were back out, and Homewood took the breaker.

Both girls were playing well, LOTS of long rallies and LOTS of deuces. This literally was the match that wouldn't end, neither girl was hitting the net or pushing the ball wide, it was phenomenal.

After trading breaks, Papadopolou finally took the 1h 30 min set 6-4.

By now it was around 6:45, and both girsl were beginning to struggle, Natalia was streching at every oppertunity, and Homewood (who got a code vioaltion for throwing her racket against the wall) put on her long-sleevd t-shirt, then a jumper, it was so cold. By now all teh tournament staff were wathcing this match on court one, as we couldn't go home until it was over. Homewood broke, Papadopolou broke back. Papadopolou broke, Homewood broke back. It was so close. There was a mammoth game at 2-2, it lasted well over 15minutes. Whoever lsot it would crumble surely? Hell no! Homewood took it, and then got broke 3-3. then it was 4-4.

Both girls wanted this so much, Papadopolou was near tears. I was speaking to the physio and we both agreed that you just felt so sorry for them, the want this so much and what for? 0 points, 0 money and a thumping from Jacobsgaard tomorrow.

Homewood holds to 30 with a couple of drop shots and a backhand winner down the line.

Papadopolou is serving at 8:15 pm to stay in the match.

She looses.

Although i was happy for Carly who let out a shriek of joy, i have never felt so bad for someone. Natalia fell to the ground and started sobbing, it was awful. She picked herself up, shook Carly's hand and just put her head in her hands. For a 14 year old to play for 14 hours and loose, i can't imagine how crushed she must be. The Swedes watching her tries to console her but she brushed them off. I had to rush home to I went to my car and was driving off when i saw Papadopolou reach the top of the steps, she threw her bag down kicked it, sat on the side of the road and just collapsed. You could literally hear her wailing and sobbing even through seh had her face buried. I almost stopped the car to see if she was okay, then i remembered: they're tennis players, you'll get whacked with a racket.

It realy was a horrible end to the day. Game set and match Homewood 7-6(?) 4-6 6-4

·
Registered
10,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Melissa Berry's luggage ahs gone AWOL. Her rackets arrived at edinburgh airport, but her luggage with all her clothes and stuff didn't. Apparently it was sent to Palma by mistake, only Palma don't have it. She is borrowing clothes from Karen P.

Hewitt and Sekulovski were training hard all day. Jaslyn seems to be good friends with the swedish guys and girls.

Any questions just ask :)

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Thanks for the report, very insightful. Whichs Brits impressed you most and who do you think will qualify tomorrow. :D

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
OMG that last match sounds really good!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Thanks Paul :) Great report ;)

LOL at that girl who only hit moonballs :rolleyes:

That last match sounds like a real war of nerves :)

Melissa Berry's luggage sent to Palma, but they don't have it? :rolleyes: Good luck Melissa :)

·
Premium Member
181,838 Posts
Amazing..... not the report but i could understand it ;) :D :)

thanx Paul :)

Emily ;) :D :)
Georgie :sad: :( :(
Karina :)

Reactions: Maxine

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I just love satellite events =) Thanks for the report Paul

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Thanks Paul. Looking forward to reading more of your reports!

Mcfadyn is actually the head of the ball boys here, training them and stuff.
Ballboys at a $10K? I've been to $25Ks where players had to chase after their own! (balls I mean, not boys ;) ).

·
Registered
152,750 Posts
Well done Thamara, Domi and Elise!:D Thanks for the report Paul! :D

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
Paul, Did you happen to see Elke anytime throughout the day?

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
Thanks heaps for the report! I actually think I saw you Paul last year at the London $10K

Yes Jaslyn is friends with the Swede's. Her boyfriend is Joachim Johanson, or whatever he's called, something like that hehe. She will be playing in Bastaad later in the year.

·
Registered
13,089 Posts
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
21,309 Posts
Thanks for that. Poor Natalia :sad: paul can you tell me what she looks like? She obviosuly has a Greek background. Poor kid, but she'll learn.

BTW, how is Beti S looking in practise? :) She has struggled to get her pre-injury form back :(

·
Registered
122 Posts
Excellent report Paul ! That last match in particular brings home just how hard all players have to work and how tough they have to be to make it in pro tennis.

BTW, how far do they have to get in a 10K to get prize money ?

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Thanks for the great report Paul. I'm looking forward to reading more of them :)

·
Registered
152,750 Posts
Dogdriller said:
Excellent report Paul ! That last match in particular brings home just how hard all players have to work and how tough they have to be to make it in pro tennis.

BTW, how far do they have to get in a 10K to get prize money ?
You don't get money unless you are in the MD of a $10k - and even then it's a crappy amount - like $75 or something (bear in mind you have to pay to play in quallies and MD too).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts