87,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ons :eek:

Jo :hug:

Reactions: Matmagix

·
Registered
703 Posts
What an embarrassing loss for Joanna flop getting smashed by permanently unfit part time player! The winner of Kerber-Halep QF will have a bye in SF instead of maybe having a competitive match.

Looks like Mallorca statisticians are employed in Eastbourne this week. There is no way Konta hit just 8 UEs across 2 sets. She hit that many in like 2 games.

·
Registered
10,330 Posts
I’m amazed. :worship:

That might just be the best performance i’ve seen from a tennis player all year. What the hell Ons!?!? Where did this come from lol. :lol: What a thrill to see her play her best tennis after all the injury woes this year.

Konta was actually great (75% first serves, 15 winners to 8 according to their stats) but she was just being bludgeoned to death by Jabeur’s mixture of huge power and delicate finesse. Not much more she could have done. Ons' flat groundstrokes sit down SO low on this surface, she was serving bullets and hitting mammoth forehand winners one after the other.

Should be some great highlights on one of those non-WTA channels. Zhang Shuai or Alize Cornut next, if she can keep this up she can go very far here! :)

·
Premium Member
64,850 Posts
Congrats Ons :inlove:

Reactions: ziggy2shus3

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
I thought Ons would win this. Konta is actually pretty poor on grass. She needs a much higher bounce & those random defensive slices she keeps throwing in are useless.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Konta is not what she used to be, probably will not get back to that level, really strange errors.

Jabeur played great, only if she was consistent though, very entertaining.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
This is what really puzzles me about Jabeur... she has one of the most varied, beautiful games on tour and in a good day when all her shots are working she can beat anyone. She could be easily a top 10 player if she played the way she just played today but at the sametime she can't bring any consistency. I wouldn't be surprised if she loses tomorrow. It's so frustrating to root for her, still it is so great when she wins. Hopefully this will be a breakthrough , a real one in her career. What am I saying?? I thought the same in Moscow last year ☹

·
Registered
16,943 Posts
If only if she can stay healthy

·
Registered
39,486 Posts
losing to over-weight Jabeur :help:

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Fantastic performance Ons ... It's been a while she didnt play on this level !! :hearts:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Very odd match, looked like plain sailing at 3-2 until Ons won the next 5 or 6 games on the trot. Konta completely lost focus and was making many errors. This lack of on-court coaching and a plan B from someone else’s point of view could continue to hurt her. That’s 2 straight set losses in matches where she’s played average tennis, she needs that spark back to go further at Wimbledon but at the minute, it’s just not there.

Take nothing away from Jabeur who played excellently, putting the ball exactly where Jo didn’t want it to force an error or even go past as a winner. She could easily reach the semis now, taking advantage of the good section of the draw.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Ye Gods, losing to Jabeur on grass...!

·
Blighted and solo
43,985 Posts
More talented player won :hearts:

·
Registered
115,522 Posts
When Barty pulled out this quarter became a mess. The other 3 still have YEC players.
Ons was good in Moscow last fall. In form this isnt a big shock

1 - 20 of 41 Posts