Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Always and forever.
33,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Belinda :cheer:

Very solid performance today against a dangerous BBB on grass. :D

I think it was good for her to play at least one match and put that Mallorca final behind. :yeah: She did a lot of stretching today, not sure she's 100% fit though.

And of course there was still going to be some drama at the end while serving for the match :hysteric: First, *40-0, 2nd serve, no call from the judge line and 10 sec later umpire calls the ball out, Belinda thought she had won but nope :hysteric: Got nervous after that, especially after wasting the 2nd MP at 40-15 :tears: 40-30, she hits a serve winner ( :cheer: ) and then a very strange end to the match. Kudermetova wouldn't shake hands at the net, going for a long discussion with the umpire for no particular reason to be honest :spit: Belinda didn't know what to do, Veronika wouldn't shake hands, so Belinda wanted to leave and shake hands with the umpire but the umpire wasn't ok she was like, nope, wait here until I'm done with Kudermetova :hysteric: So awkward!

See gifs below

·
Registered
12,551 Posts
Re: Eastbourne R1 : (10)Belinda Bencic def. Nemesis Veronika Kudermetova 63 64

We are going to need a GIF of the handshake

·
Registered
10,173 Posts

Belinda :cheer:

Very solid performance today against a dangerous BBB on grass. :D

I think it was good for her to play at least one match and put that Mallorca final behind. :yeah: She did a lot of stretching today, not sure she's 100% fit though.

And of course there was still going to be some drama at the end while serving for the match :hysteric: First, *40-0, 2nd serve, no call from the judge line and 10 sec later umpire calls the ball out, Belinda thought she had won but nope :hysteric: Got nervous after that, especially after wasting the 2nd MP at 40-15 :tears: 40-30, she hits a serve winner ( :cheer: ) and then a very strange end to the match. Kudermetova wouldn't shake hands at the net, going for a long discussion with the umpire for no particular reason to be honest :spit: Belinda didn't know what to do, Veronika wouldn't shake hands, so Belinda wanted to leave and shake hands with the umpire but the umpire wasn't ok she was like, nope, wait here until I'm done with Kudermetova :hysteric: So awkward!
So Belinda wasn't the one causing the drama today?

... but there's still her match this afternoon against Alexandrova, so who knows? ;)

Reactions: LefandePatty

·
Registered
4,093 Posts

Veronika :sad: i forgive you for that handshake fail, since you're young, new you gotta learn from your mistakes, i hope you do since you are so talented

Belinda good win :)

·
Premium Member
64,853 Posts

Well done, Belinda. Good to put that awful final experience behind her.
Loooots of matches on grass for her already, hope she can take out Alexandrova as well.
I don't see her tanking a match or withdrawing from one, just not her character.
Would be an interesting R3 against Penko or Sloane...

·
Always and forever.
33,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Mess of a job from the umpire here :eek:

It was game, set and match! Match was over. She should have cut the discussion with Kudermetova much earlier. :tape: Instead she made the situation confusing and weird...

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
And now part 4, when Bencic attempted to shake the umpire's hand again :eek:h:
btw this was the same umpire who was in that lumberjack match

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
I'll never understand those umpires who keep indulging the players in endless discussions when it's obvious that their original call (no matter wrong it might have been) won't be reversed. Just make your point, be done with it and MOVE ON.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I think so. Even the TV graphics stood at 6-3 5-4 40-30 throughout the argument.
The TV graphic is tied to the scoreboard on the court which is tied to the console in front of the umpire. If the umpire doesn't press the damn button to give the point to Bencic it doesn't update anywhere. So yeah, the umpire should have immediately pressed the button, this was pretty stupid.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Really good win for Bel, coming off such a tough loss.
This surface really suits her.
The drama :SNE: Not minding it TBH.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts