Tennis Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Registered
Is it bad if I say that it's always quite pleasing when Dart 馃幆 loses.
I can never ever warm to her for some reason.
I actually think she thinks she's better than she actually is.
Well done Petra 馃憤.

Reactions: Perun

Registered
I feel it's definitely kinda underwhelming. Only 1 quarterfinal last I checked and it's grass. She should definitely get the better of these players imo.
I suppose, but it's still a 12-4 record, which is not unlike her Birmingham record (11-3) or Wimbledon record (33-11) or Bad Homburg record (3-1).

It's the withdrawals that make it look worse than it is.

Registered
Is it bad if I say that it's always quite pleasing when Dart 馃幆 loses.
I can never ever warm to her for some reason.
I actually think she thinks she's better than she actually is.
These are my feelings towards Kostyuk and felt similar towards Anismova, but she's been getting some semi-decent results this year.

Registered
Is that shoddy? Not a sparkling record, but her losses are to Bartoli (understandable), Makarova (understandable), Konta (understandable), and Wickmayer (less so) - that's about right, IMO. Yes, she's withdrawn mid-tournament a few times and she's pre-emptively skipped it a few times, but that's more a matter of Wimbledon prep than anything else, I'm sure.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps the occasionally windy conditions there don't suit her. I know she has asthma, which windblown pollen may exacerbate, and many players don't love the wind more generally. And I think she wears contact lenses? But that's all speculation.
Perhaps she's scared of the Seagulls? They got Jack Draper today!馃挬

Registered
Thank God. The thought of Dart or Tomova making a WTA 500 SF wasn鈥檛 filling my boots with excitement. Good job here Petra.

I won鈥檛 go as far as saying Hack Dart this tournament.. she still made the QF after all.

Registered
Perhaps it is just me but in my uber fan and all too platonic relationship with Petra.. you don't hope... you just take what she is willing to give you and enjoy it. Her best.. her worst. If her quality of play doesn't get you, her smile, her class, her beautiful positive attitude do. She is simply a joy to watch play regardless of how she plays. With her is just one match at a time. Especially suspecting as many of us do that she probably isn't going to be playing that much longer and hang them up to make lot of little Petra's with some lucky guy.

Registered
Is there a reason Petra has such a shoddy record in Eastbourne? Just 1 final 11 years back and a bunch of withdrawals in between or before the start (which might be precautionary I guess). It's a shame coz the surface and conditions are ideal for her game...
She had a couple of titles in Birmingham in that time so was maybe less focussed? As many have pointed out, the two times she鈥檚 made the QF in Eastbourne were 2011 and 2014鈥 and what happened next??? 馃榾

Registered
Petra was by far the better player today. Dart didn鈥檛 get near her serve until a final all out push in the final game from her. To be honest, Petra should have won easier with quite a few break chances. 28W/28 UEs is not spectacular - and those missed chances might be punished by in-form Haddad Maia. However for us fans, it is a joy to see Petra playing her brand of attacking, hard hitting tennis. She鈥檚 served well and that is going to be key in the semi.

I would soooooo love to see her take the title but regardless, this is a decent run so hopefully she can win a few matches at Wimbledon. At least with her R1 loss to Sloane at Wimby last year, others will drop points while she won鈥檛! And no one is gaining any!

Reactions: Perun and MichaelB

Premium Member
i have no idea where this excitement regarding kvitova's chances at wimbledon comes from. as a fan, i hope she will do well 鈥 and it's hard to admit that she has done absolutely nothing there since 2014, only reaching rounds 3, 2, 2, 1, 4, 1. have we all forgotten how she crashed out in rd. 1 last year against stephens after reaching the semis in bad homburg?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts