Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
23,238 Posts
Petra's first SF since Bad Homburg last year.

Best match she's played since then either, best week of tennis actually. Serving well and returning well. I know her draw hasn't been the most difficult, but she'll take any win she can get nowadays.

Dart played well and was clutch enough when she needed to be to avoid the scoreline being more lopsided (Petra had multiple BPs for double break in both sets) but was just outhit and outserved off the court.

Kvitova probably gets BHM next, who beat her last week in Birmingham.

·
Registered
119,965 Posts
Kvitova waking up a little before her best major

·
Rise up from ignorance
24,676 Posts
Kvitova showing signs of life on grass. Rematch vs Haddad Maia looming next? :hehehe:

• Love
Reactions: MichaelB

·
Registered
37 Posts
Is there a reason Petra has such a shoddy record in Eastbourne? Just 1 final 11 years back and a bunch of withdrawals in between or before the start (which might be precautionary I guess). It's a shame coz the surface and conditions are ideal for her game...

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Is there a reason Petra has such a shoddy record in Eastbourne? Just 1 final 11 years back and a bunch of withdrawals in between or before the start (which might be precautionary I guess). It's a shame coz the surface and conditions are ideal for ger game...
Is that shoddy? Not a sparkling record, but her losses are to Bartoli (understandable), Makarova (understandable), Konta (understandable), and Wickmayer (less so) - that's about right, IMO. Yes, she's withdrawn mid-tournament a few times and she's pre-emptively skipped it a few times, but that's more a matter of Wimbledon prep than anything else, I'm sure.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps the occasionally windy conditions there don't suit her. I know she has asthma, which windblown pollen may exacerbate, and many players don't love the wind more generally. And I think she wears contact lenses? But that's all speculation.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Is that shoddy? Not a sparkling record, but her losses are to Bartoli (understandable), Makarova (understandable), Konta (understandable), and Wickmayer (less so) - that's about right, IMO. Yes, she's withdrawn mid-tournament a few times and she's pre-emptively skipped it a few times, but that's more a matter of Wimbledon prep than anything else, I'm sure.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps the occasionally windy conditions there don't suit her. I know she has asthma, which windblown pollen may exacerbate, and many players don't love the wind more generally. And I think she wears contact lenses? But that's all speculation.
I feel it's definitely kinda underwhelming. Only 1 quarterfinal last I checked and it's grass. She should definitely get the better of these players imo.

·
Registered
19,211 Posts

It must be mentioned - this year's conditions are surprisingly windless in Eastbourne especially considering the seaside location, which is uncharacteristic and balls rarely do bizarre things mid-air like they like to do here.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts