1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23,310 Posts
:help:

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Amazes me that players ranked 20-40 play Sydney over Hobart.

In terms of a warm-up why risk drawing a seed in R1 of Sydney and only getting one match when you could play here and get some momentum going into the Open.

I know this isn't a full list. But the lopsidedness of the two events isn't crazy considering Sydney is only a 470.

·
Registered
53,856 Posts
Amazes me that players ranked 20-40 play Sydney over Hobart.

In terms of a warm-up why risk drawing a seed in R1 of Sydney and only getting one match when you could play here and get some momentum going into the Open.

I know this isn't a full list. But the lopsidedness of the two events isn't crazy considering Sydney is only a 470.
Players who are ranked 20-40 are potentially able to pull off an upset or two at Melbourne and randomly make the quarters or semis with a kind draw so nobody wants to play 5 matches in a row (and if so, do it in Sydney with big points and money on offer) the previous week of a Slam under the Australian sun and jeopardize her chances at at Slam for frigging Hobart. They know that in Sydney is kind of a win-win situation: if they lose early they can go to Melbourne with time to train and adjust to conditions there and if they keep winning in Sydney well, big points and money, important wins at at Premier etc... in the end for a player ranked #25 in the world winning a MM is not such a huge deal, especially with a a GS around the corner, as opposed to someone ranked in the 60s as Mertens last year who may be her first title ever and surely 180 or 280 points would make a huge impact on their rankings even if they lose later on in R1 at Melbourne.

·
Registered
37,334 Posts
In addition to what spiceboy said, the Sydney tournament is exceptionally popular with players. The hotel has harbour views and is in a really nice part of the city, the courts are similar to Melbourne and it's far easier to get to. Hobart can be very very very very windy (there have been some hilarious tweets and Instagrams over the years), plus the tournament does not have as good facilities, is not as well run, has less off court incentives/isn't as nice a city to visit, and of course offers less money and points. Going into a slam where players aren't necessarily banking on a really deep run, Sydney is the obvious option for anyone who can make it. Sydney used to take even more of Hobart's players actually, the MD cutoff was in the 20s a couple of times before Brisbane became a Premier. The 2010 field had more star power than many PMs/P5s had in recent years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts