Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
54,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Could they not come up with a better headline? Did CBS Sports lay off some copy editors or something? Are the interns running the website? That is just horrid!

http://www.offthebaseline.com/

Reactions: Slumpsova

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
I only had to read it about 10 times before realizing what it was trying to say :rolleyes: :lol: What a bad headline

·
Registered
24,441 Posts
lol :lol: its kind of funny how stupid it is

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
spiceboy said:
Could they not come up with a better headline? Did CBS Sports lay off some copy editors or something? Are the interns running the website? That is just horrid!

do you work in media? You seem to be a professional at criticizing it.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
tangerine_dream said:
Very lame headline. They clearly don't know how "Mauresmo" is pronounced because "Remarkable" and "Mauresmo" sound nothing alike. :lol:

no, that's the thing, they DO sound alike. Those syllables in Remarkable and Mauresmo are pronounced exactly the same. But when you stick that "maur" into "remarkable", it turns into "remorkable".

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
I think vogus must be the author of the article :lol:

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Erika_Angel said:
I think vogus must be the author of the article :lol:

nah, i agree that it's an atrocious headline, but i understand how the intern or whoever it was came up with it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
vogus said:
no, that's the thing, they DO sound alike. Those syllables in Remarkable and Mauresmo are pronounced exactly the same. But when you stick that "maur" into "remarkable", it turns into "remorkable".
That's not true. They are not pronounced the same way at all! But anyway, I don't find the headline that stupid

·
Registered
152,750 Posts
vogus said:
:scratch: Those syllables don't sounds the same... together or apart! :lol:

Mar and Maur aren't pronounced the same!

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
vogus said:
So you anglos pronounce Mauresmo as if it was an English word, i.e. Mauw-rehz-mow (or mahr-ehz-mow), rather than mo-rehz-mo (short o's)?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Corswandt said:
So you anglos pronounce Mauresmo as if it was an English word, i.e. Mauw-rehz-mow (or mahr-ehz-mow), rather than mo-rehz-mo (short o's)?

If i say it in normal US English it's "Mah-REZ-mo". I guess the British and Aussies pronounce it differently.

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
If I pronounced English language words as if they were Portuguese, the results would be hilarious:

Lindsay Davenport would be linn-dsah-ih duh-veynh-port

Ashley Harkleroad would be uh-shley hurk-luh-roh-ahd

(most of our vowels go unstressed)

I think the Spanish pronounce foreign words like this. I remember watching their news on teevee once and hearing the TV news anchor refer to something called grah-tih-foolh didd. It was only after some archive footage was shown that I realized they were talking about Grateful Dead.

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
spiceboy said:

Could they not come up with a better headline? Did CBS Sports lay off some copy editors or something?
http://www.offthebaseline.com/
Copy editors are the ones who come up with the headlines :lol: This is a typical American sports headline. You should read the New York Post or New York Daily News. One for last week for Sasha Cohen was "Crash-Asha".

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
:haha: Classic :p

1 - 20 of 41 Posts