Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where HAS the Duchess been lately. I don't think she has presented the LAdies' Champion the past few years.

·
Registered
883 Posts
She is prob sick of the Williams Sisters final.

Reactions: Helen Lawson

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
No, actually she's divorcing her husband hence she is banned from royal circles and the Wimbledon Championships. She lost her HRH title as well.

·
Registered
883 Posts
oh well I was close

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you.

That's sad, though.

OUT! said:
No, actually she's divorcing her husband hence she is banned from royal circles and the Wimbledon Championships. She lost her HRH title as well.

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
WrB said:
Thank you.

That's sad, though.
I know. The Royal Family still live in the Middle Ages :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I had heard that she was not back to Wimbledon since 1999, because she had taken a young boy with her into the Royal Box as her guest and was refused admittance because he did not have the correct background. She has not been back since that incident, but gave word through a spokesman that it is not the reason for her not returning.

I've also heard that there is no truth to the rumor that she is divorcing her husband.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, i am totally confused now. I did countless internet searches, and found no other indication the Duchess is divorcing the Duke. And yet, I cannot find any published reason for her absence from the Championships.

I'd rather see the Duchess graciously greet the combatants than hear Sue Barker over the loudspeakers.

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
I like the Duchess of Kent. She seemed to be a nice lady. :)

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
The Duchess of Kent was the only decent Royal out of the lot of them. Who else would have hugged Jana? Certainly not the Queen. She loved doing the Wimbledon ceremony as well. She also annoyed the royals by becoming a born again Christian, and it was in a newspaper recently that she had been teaching kids for years at a school near her house for free. It is a shame she doesn't do Wimbledon anymore. After Jana lost to Hingis in 1997 the Duchess said to Jana she would still win it one day and when Jana did win it the next year the Duchess was really happy in the Royal Box :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
That's a shame about her divorce and losing her HRH title. The Duchess of Kent is such a classy lady. I always enjoyed seeing her at the Wimbledon finals. I will miss her. :sad:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Yeah the whole Jana - Dutchess of Kent thing in 1993 was memorable...i can still see that famous pic imprinted in my mind.

I wonder if they still swap xmas cards or the occasional SMS..?? ;)

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
The Duchess of Kent converted to Catholicism a few years back and I had understood that divorce was out of the question for her because of the Catholic Church's stance on the issue. She has also had serious health problems in recent years and has a much lower public profile now in general.

·
Banned
15,001 Posts
honesly, i always thought the reason i didn't see her for a while 'cos she's dead:eek: . thank god she still alives!

i can remember when she hugged crying Jana in 1993 and i love her since then. it's too bad we can't never see her again:sad: .

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
3,053 Posts
Its because of recent health problems & she wants to stay out of the spotlight so to speak.

·
Registered
453 Posts
She chose to turn her back on Royal life, has moved out of the official palace residence and lives in an apartment in central london. She also elected not to use the HRH and is now known as Kathryn (unsure of surname).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts