Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Congrats Rybakina, played so well on important points despite running on fumes! Her star keeps on rising. 4 finals already in 2020 (6 in total)

As for Martic, she had some good points here and there, but a lot of dumb UEs as well. She squandered a break in both sets, unfortunately.

As for the final, I think her movement will sadly be exposed by Halep (plus Rybakina looks exhausted), but let's wait and see.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Rybakina is like a less annoying version of Yastremska. She bashes just as cleanly, but has a far better on-court mentality.

Ryba has started '020 with a 19-3 match record and 4 finals in 5 events. And in the other event, she lost to the world #1. Can't recall the last time any player had such an opening to the year.

·
Registered
84,347 Posts
So so happy for tired Rybakina!! Love her and her coach!

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
She is the chosen one. Set points in both yet came on top twice. Good head on her shoulders. Hope Halep comes through and see what she can do vs her.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Rybakina! A fighter. And she may even be coming out of her shell a little. Tiny wave of frustration, a short fist pump after a great point, a smile after a bad challenge. I guess if she makes a Slam final, she might even wave to the crowd :)

Martic was so good for so much of the match, the only thing she couldn't handle was Elena's smile :)

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Even though she was tired Lena played the big points so well the way she saved those set points was superb.

Hopefully Jen Brady will win the other match now now - don't want Lena having to run about in the final..:p

·
Registered
84,347 Posts

·
Registered
31,005 Posts
Monstrous start of the season for Rybakina. Her fourth final! Hopefully she withdraws from Doha and focuses on the Sunshine swing. She earned about a third of her career prize money in Doha and became the most recent WTA millionaire.

She may have a chance against Brady but Halep's counterpunching may be too much if she isn't 100% fresh.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
What the hell is wrong with this girl? Her consistency makes other players, top 10 to be exact, look like idiots. Someone better check her blood pressure.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Rybakina is like a less annoying version of Yastremska. She bashes just as cleanly, but has a far better on-court mentality.

Ryba has started '020 with a 19-3 match record and 4 finals in 5 events. And in the other event, she lost to the world #1. Can't recall the last time any player had such an opening to the year.
Probably since Azarenka 2012.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,237 Posts
Petra should hold her head very high after that one, despite the loss. She tested Elena in every way possible and couldn't have made life any more challenging for Elena.

Petra is such a graceful and skilled player as well as being a very likeable individual that she is always very easy to root for and support. It is always a delight to see her playing well. And right now she is playing very well. Petra has virtually no points to defend in Doha, Indian Wells or Miami coming up and I hope she takes this form with her to all three of those events. If she does she will be a real handful for absolutely any opponent.

As for Elena, what can I say? I am running out of superlatives. She is such a gifted player. The effortless power, the canny shot selection and ability to know when to hit hard and when to hold back and rally, the mental toughness and competitiveness, she has all these qualities in an abundance that make her a very special and formidable opponent. The more I see her the more difficult it becomes to deny what is becoming obvious with her.....the sky is the limit with this girl. On top of that it is great to see she is also blessed with one of the most down to earth, modest and likeable personalities on the tour. To say Elena is just what the WTA tour needs right now feels almost like an understatement.

Oh yeah, for the record, great match, very entertaining. I do hope Elena still has a little bit of energy left for tomorrow. Providing she does, I think she matches up fine against either of her opponents tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts