Tennis Forum banner

1 - 21 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wozniacki was right . “It’s tough. I think tennis has changed in 7 years,”

First match of Kim's 3rd comback is quite ....not good . No serve, No return, tons of UF but she still got a killer skill in her game especially her forehand. this match look compertitive but she's not ready to play with high level player. She need more match and more time. may be just start from lower level Tournament to regroup her form. We love her, Thanks for being back to WTA

Muguruza, Hats off to her serve, 1st set is very high quality performance from her but 2nd is very very bad, too many easy UF and too passive.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts

So happy Kim is back on tour! :love:
Second Serve + FH need some work, but otherwise a really good comeback! Her movement actually doesn't look too bad. After this match, I'm much more optimistic about her comeback. I totally thought she would get destroyed.

Mugu on the other hand didn't look too great TBH, but maybe it's just the pressure of facing Kim. Lots of UEs, her serve mainly bailed her out at crucial moments. (which is an improvement over 2019 honestly)

·
Registered
15,976 Posts

First match of Kim's 3rd comback is quite ....not good . No serve, No return, tons of UF but she still got a killer skill in her game especially her forehand. this match look compertitive but she's not ready to play with high level player. She need more match and more time. may be just start from lower level Tournament to regroup her form. We love her, Thanks for being back to WTA

Muguruza, Hats off to her serve, 1st set is very high quality performance from her but 2nd is very very bad, too many easy UF and too passive.
Girl the mess you talking ABOUT, she competitive against a Top 20 player who just reached a GS final being this rusty :lol:

SHES BACK WHEN THE RUST IS GONE SHE'S TAKING WIGS

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Greedy woman spent all her prize money and is now looking for a quick pay day. Thanks Garbine!

·
Registered
9,012 Posts
Some of those FHs were ? well done Kim! Not sure if she's fit enough for a comeback but I will still enjoy it.
Congrats Garbine, well done.

·
Registered
13,425 Posts
Kim was the better player in the second set from 03* down.

My god, those forehands were LETHAL. The angles, the tennis IQ, the fight. The younger girls can learn so much from Kim's performance today.

Already moving better than Serena in her first match back after 8 years.

Garbi also played a pretty good match overall, her serve really helped her out today and bailed her out of a lot of troublesome positions today - though I thought Kim's return position could have been better (ie. a step back).

Kim has a few things to improve - her second serve was a liability at times, was responsible for her going down 26 03. Then her ROS was also quite up and down, her movement also can be better although it is already pretty decent, imo. Her groundstrokes are still as amazing as ever.

It has been great to see Kim back and playing so well all things considered in this one - it'll be interesting to see how far she can go in Monterrey.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts

Did you type all that during the first set?

Second set Kim played well and showed that she's still got it.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
Not good? She was not exactly expected to win this match or even make it close...

Yeah ... I thought that Kim gave a better account of herself than 90% of tennisforum expected and 50% of them predicted Clijsters to get two bakery product under one hour. Her groundstrokes are as lethal as they used to be. Return, serve and fitness lag but I expect her to improve but tennis skills are palpable here. She was very close to snatching a set from a player ranked 16 fresh off the GS Final run in her first match in over 7 years.

To me Kim should feel encouraged after this match.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Kim did great to push the AO finalist who has been on point this year. It felt like Garbine deserved the win but it's great to see someone come back after so long and still play a strong level, that second set shows with time she will be ready to contend with the top 50

·
Registered
19,516 Posts
There was some real brilliance when Kim got her gears together. Could have pushed to 3 sets if not for a few loose moments and sheer resilience from Garbine. She clearly knows what to do on court and her feel on the ball will keep improving.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
That 2nd set was very promising, even if Garbine let Kim come back.
Some vintage stuff from Kim with some very easy errors which was understandable given that it was her first match after such long delay.

1 - 21 of 173 Posts