Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sabs in the end just ran out of gas while injured Halep amazingly recovered from yesterday.

·
Registered
13,425 Posts
Simona was outstanding in the last two sets.

The way she managed to redirect and get so much depth off Sabalenka's heavy groundstrokes and turn defense into offense was quite astonishing. She managed to find the lines and get so much depth on her shots in those sets too, something she wasn't doing in the first.

Sabalenka was pretty awesome in the first set though it has to be said much had to do with Halep allowing her to dictate with her court position as well as because Simona was making too many errors. Like in the Jabeur match, Simona figured it out though and once that happened it became a much bigger struggle for Aryna to win points.

I think Simona's probably going to win the title now now that she has two tricky opponents out of the way. Very impressed with the way she got through these two matches.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
That last game... the best game ever from Simona?

Overall great stuff in sets 2 and 3, more of that please

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Simo really wanted the revenge win today, her reactions and shots at the end of the match were fantastic! I hope she keeps it up. But this may just be a nice revenge win followed up by a random loss to a beatable, yet in-form opponent that she will likely underestimate

Sabs in the end just ran out of gas while injured Halep recovered from yesterday.
I don't think she's injured, it was a misunderstanding by some wrt to what she said about having been injured the last time she played Ons. Probably the fact that her first serve was crap yesterday also contributed to these worries about her back.

·
Registered
84,400 Posts

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Really excellent match from Simona the last 2 sets. Amazing depth, amazing DTL, really impressive. She's going to remain in the top 5 for a long time!

As for Sabalenka, she didn't play badly, but she did spray a bit in the last 2 sets. She was also trying to win by hitting crosscourt a lot and overpowering Simona, she should have maybe tried DTL shots a bit more as Simona usually redirected DTL first and got Aryna out of position. Of course, that might have caused more UEs, so who knows.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Great comeback by Simo in the last two sets. Her combination of speed, angles, and general counterpunching proved to be too much to handle for Sabalenka who grew frustrated and started to make many unforced errors. All in all it has been a good tournament for Simona. I don't think she's gonna win the tournament because Brady is playing lights out and Ribakyna is way stronger than Sabalenka. Good luck to Simo tomorrow. Win or lose , I will always root for her.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Yes, she was definitely in revenge mode in the 2nd and 3rd sets, now let's see if she can go all the way here, I mean it's her tournament to win or lose at this point.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Yes, she was definitely in revenge mode in the 2nd and 3rd sets, now let's see if she can go all the way here, I mean it's her tournament to win or lose at this point.
I honestly don't think she's the favorite to win the tournament. Rybakina is looking stronger and Brady is playing very well and her game has troubled Simona the last two times they have played.

·
Registered
31,010 Posts
Halep's shot-making skills are under-rated. She is "type-cast" as a grinder, but she puts some beautiful points together.
She can create some superb points but she doesn't have the same improvisation as a Federer, a Radwanska or even a Hsieh. That's probably why she's underrated in that regard.

As for Sabalenka, I see no major improvement in her game. She may be stuck within #10 to #15 for a while and will be in trouble if the Chinese tournaments are cancelled this year.

·
Registered
84,400 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Great comeback by Simo in the last two sets. Her combination of speed, angles, and general counterpunching proved to be too much to handle for Sabalenka who grew frustrated and started to make many unforced errors. All in all it has been a good tournament for Simona. I don't think she's gonna win the tournament because Brady is playing lights out and Ribakyna is way stronger than Sabalenka. Good luck to Simo tomorrow. Win or lose , I will always root for her.
Yeah, Brady is playing lights out ...lights of Pennsylvania
while Simona is playing lights out ...lights of Wimbledon ;)
The only edge for Brady tomorrow is that she's the one looking for revenge (for a certain match of last summer in Canada). But looking for revenge is very tricky... :)
Ribakyna is way stronger than Sabalenka? Is she? Okay, then it would be easier for Simona to redirect her strokes ..because who's the best counterpuncher if not Simona? :cool:
Pumps up! ✊(y)

·
Registered
563 Posts
She can create some superb points but she doesn't have the same improvisation as a Federer, a Radwanska or even a Hsieh. That's probably why she's underrated in that regard.

As for Sabalenka, I see no major improvement in her game. She may be stuck within #10 to #15 for a while and will be in trouble if the Chinese tournaments are cancelled this year.
LOL!

Point of the tournament, if you ask me.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Hajde Simona!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sabs in the end just ran out of gas while injured Halep amazingly recovered from yesterday.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I can't forget how the haters explained to us yesterday that Simo will be eviscerated by bielorussian tiger
but in the end it just turned out to be a cat with claws cut off!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts