Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, sorry Walt for steeling your work :), but I need to keep this forum alive! ;)

Dubai Duty Free Woman's Open: February 20th - February 26th.

Makiri's next tourney is at Dubai. She will participate in the strongest field ever to compete for the title, including Sharapova, the Williams Sisters and Henin Hardenne.
The defending Champion is Lindsay Davenport who defeated Jelena Jankovic in last year's final with 6.4, 3.6 and 6.4.
The players compete for a huge prize: 1.000.000 Dollars, wich is pretty much for a Tier II event.

Here is a short List of some players who already comitted:

Lindsay Davenport
Svetlana Kuznetsova
Maria Sharapova
Justine Henin Hardenne
Venus Williams
Serena Williams
Maria Kirilenko
Martina Hingis

Ok, I agree, Walt, you did this job better than me! :)

·
Premium Member
28,050 Posts
This is another tough tournament but thats what you expect when you enter a tier 2. There are some extreamly good player there but Maria has proven in the last 6 months that she can tangle with them and who knows this could be another break thru. Anyhow this will be a tough tourni. Good luck Maria do your best and take it one match at a time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah I know Dan, Maria's forum has been practically dead for this past week. There has been like one post every five days. I am looking forward for Maria to be back on court next Monday.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
navyseals98 said:
Yeah I know Dan, Maria's forum has been practically dead for this past week. There has been like one post every five days. I am looking forward for Maria to be back on court next Monday.
Yeah, I am excited to see her again. The last match I saw live was at Melbourne against Davenport...a looong time ago!

·
Banned
731 Posts
Will it ever end? Masha is still the queen of the bad draws. She is so ovedue for a few good draws. Anyway, Good luck Masha!!! Kick some butt!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
houseoflords said:
Will it ever end?
Yes, when she will reach Top 10... Masha is 23 in the world not 3, I`m sure you all know how the draw works, so I don`t quite understand why most of you are whining about the draws week after week. Its not like she is the only one who have tough draws, and actually lately in Tokyo she got the easiest possible draw, Q. in the first round, and no. 8 seed (lowest possible) in the second. So, be a little more objective...

Players ranked outside Top 15 - 20 are in danger of facing seeded player in the first round in Tier I & II events, you just have to accept that fact. You can call it bad luck if you want, but that`s reality of those tournaments.

She could play Tier III in Bangalore this week , be a no. 1 seed , probably winning whole event with ease, because apart from Mirza (who is in terrible form lately anyway) I can`t see a good player in that draw... but that would be pointless IMO. She needs to play (and start winning !) against big players not against Kostanic or Santangelo...

I watched all Petrova`s matches from Paris and Antwerp, and it was nothing spectacular, she isn`t in the best form, that`s for sure. Masha needs to start winning matches against Top 10 players, and she has a chance here. And if she wins then she is basically in the Quarterfinal as I can`t see her losing to Safarova (or Sugiyama).

·
Registered
13,006 Posts
MashaBellyButton said:
tough again for Masha :(
she'll give it her best shot still :cool:

are you going to watch Marco?
Not sure, if she plays in the evening, then yes. If not, then no ;)

If I go, I will make some pics :cool:

·
Banned
731 Posts
I am objective. Tokyo was a good draw for her and other players also get tough draws. Still, it seems she always gets in the really tough sections of the draw. She always seems to draw a Davenport, Clijsters, Petrova, Venus, Mauresmo, Henin early on. I know that as she climbs the rankings she'll get easier draws. That being said, unseeded players can draw other unseeded players in the first round. I just wish Maria could get a few more of those

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Makiris first match is today. She will play on Center Court. It will b the second match no this Court after Kuzntsova - Müller (starting 2.00 PM).

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry for writing so much, but I need to tell ya that Makiri has made it to the second round at Dubai, defeating No. 5 sed Nadia Petrova 6.4, 6.1!!! Unbelivable, this is Mashas biggest win this year! Congrats! Next up is Lucie Safarova who defeated Ai Sugyiama in straigt sets as well. Should be a tough match again for Makiri, but the door to the quaters is wide open!

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Wow I haven't been here since it was created last year, but I'll def visit more often. U guys are doin a great job. Anyway--- I'm so happy for Kirilenko, I don't know if she's already beat Petrova before, but that's a really good win. Good job. Good luck in the next round:)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts