Tennis Forum banner

Draw opening up nicely for Martina...

964 views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  ChrisGermany 
#1 ·
I am probably jinxing her now.. but with Kim and Ai withdrawing the doubles draw has opened up nicely for Martina and Svetlana to reach the final...

A quarter-final ahead against Huber / Maggie which is very winnable and then probably Vento / Widjaja or Casanova / Bartoli in the semi's... She'll never get a draw this good again...

Let's hope she can add another Grand Slam title and help Svetlana to her first....

#2 ·
this is just very annoying... why every time there is a thread about MN/SK, people talk about Martina as if thier wins are thanks to Martina only? Svetlana contributes as much (if not more) to successful partneship (especially these days)...

#3 ·
tenn_ace said:
this is just very annoying... why every time there is a thread about MN/SK, people talk about Martina as if thier wins are thanks to Martina only? Svetlana contributes as much (if not more) to successful partneship (especially these days)...
true, sveta contributes equally..... and she totally deserves her props.

but people still focus on martina. I wonder why????.. Hmmmmm....

Maybe its cos' she has won 58 slams, 167 singles titles, 171 doubles titles and is still a top doubles player at (HELLO!!!!!!!!) almost 47 years old.

She is achieving what no one else in tennis history will ever do again.

Thats why sveta gets forgotten. Its history. Leander paes recognized that at winbledon, and im pretty sure that sveta is happy to be a part of it too.

#4 ·
Definitely, Sveta should be given full credit & it's a shame she isn't always acknowledged. It is a *team* effort after all.

Sadly, I don't think Kim withdrawing will have any effect on Martina's & Sveta's US Open results. I fully expect Liezel & Magdalena to beat Martina & Sveta tomorrow...

Anyway, Kim babysat for Martina yesterday, taking care of her puppy, Chloe. :)

#5 ·
Martina and Svetlana have learnt alot and progressed alot since the defeat earlier in the year to Huber and Maleeva and I think they have beaten them since then. I think it will be a battle, but definately winnable for Martina/Svetlana. I will go out on a limb and say if they win this match the will win the whole damn thing :eek:

Tenn_Ace take a pill, Colinb first sentance was "I am probably jinxing her now.. but with Kim and Ai withdrawing the doubles draw has opened up nicely for Martina and Svetlana to reach the final..."

That to me seems to be crediting both players, not just one :)

#7 ·
Ooh, just posted about this in the US Open forum...

you're not wrong, they're a cute team and so much fun to watch too. As a big Sveta fan, its frustrating, but I was always a big Martina fan too, and its hard not to want Martina to win just a little bit more than anyone else...

#13 ·
Im a huge fan of Martina (love that lady), but lets be fair... Martina always gives Sveta props when they play

and I do hope they will get, at least, to the finals... I wish I could watch more than 2 matches they played than I did this year. It's always fun and best memories of all matches I saw at the US Open

#14 ·
I think it´s a shame that Ai+Kim had to withdraw being the best team out there. In spite of Lindsay/Lisa, Virginia/Paola and Martina/Sveta, this team made it 2003. They rock, definetly.

But it´s definetly the case that Sveta and Martina can make history here. They´ve noone to fear in the top half with Vento+Angie forced to play twice a day, this time against Bartoli+Casanova.

I think that a match against Bovina/Stubbs, Cara/Elena or Virginia/Paola will be a first class doubles match and it´s funny that this happens in the US Open but not Wimbledon :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.