Tennis Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inspired by the Greatest Ever by Country thread, I go to thinking about Dora Rangelova, who didn't make the cut. I can find very few results for her on the ITF database. I've always known her name because of her participation on the Bulgarian Fed Cup team, sometimes famously being paired with Mama Maleeva, Yulia Berberian.

I guess she never qualified for a slam? Does anyone know anything about her?

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I do remember her name, but can’t recall any other results apart from FC and playing with Yulia. I do recall Yulia being interviewed in 1987 and saying how embarrassing it was for the FC team to have a 40 year old women playing doubles with them. But the Bulgaria Federation would not pay for a 4th player to travel to Canada, so Yulia played to keep her daughters fresh.

The Maleeva’s declined to play FC in Melbourne in 1988, but Dota wasn’t in the team that year either. Bulgaria sent a junior team that year, with Elena Pampoulova (later known as Elena Wagner) as their no. 1.

Dora was born in 1967, the same year as Manuela. As Manuela’s early tennis was restricted by the Bulgarian communist regime, it is likely that the much lesser known and lesser talented Dora probably faced the same problems. Or Dora, didn’t have an out-spoken advocate, like Manuel and Katerina had with Yulia, to pave way for a professional career.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts