Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that their games are so similar and I think that is how she managed to beat serena so easily. If you look at the Usopen 2001, watch the finals with both serena and venus, and keep watching venus; you will swear that you are watching Maria. The strategies are the so similar, that it is frightening.
If you don't have that tape, then watch the venus and lindsay finals from USopen 2000 or the Pilot Pen match or you can also see the venus and jen semifinal from 2001 USopen.
Watch the finals from wimbly 2004 and you will see how similar Maria's game is to Venus'. WoW!!!

Reactions: *JR*

·
Banned
164 Posts
Maria hits flatter than Venus, that's why she caught Serena out of position so many times. But you're right about the similarity.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Do not agree. Venus has a strange technique. It's somewhat awkward and I don't see Nick Bolletieri teaching that to his kids. Venus is a lot more athletic than Sharapova. Sharapova compensates her awkward movement with great anticipation, coz she reads the game very well.

Sharapova's technique reminds me of Davenport. Maria hits her backhand like Davenport, except that it's a lot better

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
Um no. Have you seen Venus' backhand down the lines at her best?

I don't think I even saw Maria hit backhands down the lines, maybe once in a while.

Both their forehands can break down and they have awkward forehands but other than that, no.

Oh and Maria's serve (though not as powerful as Venus') is more reliable. Certainly right now, anyway.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
and I think Venus moves better, but yea Serve marias is much better

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
WorldWar24 said:
Do not agree. Venus has a strange technique. It's somewhat awkward and I don't see Nick Bolletieri teaching that to his kids. Venus is a lot more athletic than Sharapova. Sharapova compensates her awkward movement with great anticipation, coz she reads the game very well.

Sharapova's technique reminds me of Davenport. Maria hits her backhand like Davenport, except that it's a lot better
Bingo. I was about to say that Sharapova's stroke production is much more similar to Davenport's than to either Williams sister. Sharapova is more mobile than Lindsay though and her footwork is superior to V. Williams. Sharapova doesn't muscle the ball as much as V. Williams either. I think that Sharapova has the potential to be a much better player than V. Williams.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Venus and Maria have very different games. Maria has a better serve and forehand and has good anticipation, but Venus is much faster on the court and has a better backhand and net game.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Well, they're both tall (and extremely agile), fast, and hit the ball a ton. They are also both very attractive. Other than that, no. Different grips, stroke styles and service motions all together...

:wavey:

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
starr said:
Sharapova doesn't muscle the ball as much as V. Williams either. I think that Sharapova has the potential to be a much better player than V. Williams.
I recall "that Venus" effectively "swatting" the other player's shot. Serena on the other hand seemed to "muscle it" more. Perhaps thats an "optical illusion" that players with heavier builds (like Rena, Jen, and Mary) create, though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think Maria`s game is a mixture of Venus + Seles + Davenport, She serves like Venus, she hits the ball really fast like davenport (not that heavy), and she shouts and she has the same drive Seles , serena and venus have.. She is a true champion and this girl is not "another player" sometimes I think she gonna make history ;)

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
I noticed this in the LD match...Less so in the finals.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts

·
Banned
164 Posts
WorldWar24 said:

I disagree that Venus is more athletic than Maria. If anything, the opposite is true. I agree that Bollietierri is all about technique, but not necessarily the right technique, which is why the top players go to coaches like Rick Macci and Robert Lansdorp to hone a championship game.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
They Are Strikingly Alike To An Extent - IMO

Hey All,

Please let me start off by saying - that if Venus was ever a great player - then she can be again - barring injury.

Many of us saw the way Venus carried it in 2000 - 2003. How many grand slam finals did she make again? In what was it three years? And what about her doubles titles and Olympic win?

I agree w/the poster that mentioned that both players sort of win when they reach a final - and perhaps it is a shame that there is only one 'winner take all'.

I would never count Venus out of the top echeon of tennis. I just won't do it. When I do it - it will be because Venus herself decided that she couldn't hang w/the power and finesse hitters any longer. I don't see her giving in to that feeling - for if she felt that she could no longer be a winner on the WTA tour - then she would probably hang it up.

We remember how great she played awhile back. We know what she is capable of. She just needs time to get in her stride. There is absolutely noone like her in mine eyes - but Maria comes close. I noticed this last year - and think I made mention that she was going places. They are both similar heights - and there is no getting around that fact. They both can reach shots and hit winners back - stretched out to the max. The way Maria comes over to hit her backhand cross-court strected out - reminds me of Venus. IMO - it is classic Venus.

And again - this is just my take on the question. The only thing Maria needs to do now similar to Venus, and others at this point - is to go after them "svinging volleys." She has a lot going for her - but as they all do - she has some areas that can be improved.

And remember a few years ago when the pundits kept saying that the sisters needed to improve this or that - well they all have to keep improving - and Maria is no different. Serena was caught off guard in her match w/Maria - and she didn't win enough free points off her serve - whether the ace or service winner. She couldn't get that one-two punch going for herself - because she was not controlling the match w/her serve - and pushing Maria back. Maria on the other hand - came out the gates charging and playing aggressive - and she played herself into her first slam final win.

I just want to say that I mean no other players or fans any harm - but I am still putting my money on Venus and Serena in any match they play. That's what fans do - right? I predict right here and now - that Serena will win her next matchup w/Maria - and Venus will win her next two matches w/her spoilers of the last two slams. Every player that loses - loses to a spoiler. Someone spoiled their party - and the party spoiling started the first day of the tourney for many a player. Some players are just good enough to last longer.

Again - I was reminded of Venus when I saw Maria play last year. This young girl has belief and drive - like nobody's biznez' - indeed.

"LET'S GET IT ON - LADIES" "HIT US WITH YOUR BEST SHOTS"

1 - 20 of 29 Posts