Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pretty worried about this match because Lindsay had everything to lose and Martina didnt.
One play in the third set in the first set on break point cost Lindsay the match.
She didnt finish the point off at net on break point and missed it by inches.
I am pretty sure if she would have come to net, that set and match could have went Lindsays way.
The way to beat Lindsay is to stop her from finishing off points at net.
Once she starts to get tenative on defensive shots like the slices or lobs, players like Martina, Venus, Serena, Kim, Dementieva and Justine have won the battle.

It happened to Lindsay at last years Pacific Life, last years US Open, and this years Australian Open.
The new coach of Lindsay is doing his best.
Lindsays slice is better than before. It stays low and now skids a bit.
In the end, its all about Lindsay.
Noone can tell her what to do to win a big title on the court when she is on the court.
She has to continue to move well and attack at every point.
It might be easier said than done right now.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10. Yep, she's out.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I think Lindsay is finished I really feel that Wimbledon was the nail in the coffin. Lindsay had so many chances to win Wimbledon last year and she blew it. Ever since then she hasn't been the same the fire is gone. Lindsay has been losing and losing and just winning minor events like Bali. Lindsay will probably retire this year she just doesn't got it anymore..

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
So martina didn't take the easy way out in this match wannabeitknowatall and she still won.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Morrissey said:
I think Lindsay is finished I really feel that Wimbledon was the nail in the coffin. Lindsay had so many chances to win Wimbledon last year and she blew it. Ever since then she hasn't been the same the fire is gone. Lindsay has been losing and losing and just winning minor events like Bali. Lindsay will probably retire this year she just doesn't got it anymore..

she didnt blow her chances in that final. she was injured, but they both played amazingly

·
Premium Member
4,866 Posts
lindsayno1 said:
she didnt blow her chances in that final. she was injured, but they both played amazingly
I'd say that serving for the match, and then blowing a 4-2 lead in the third is blowing your chances. But that's in the past.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Well we will have to agree to disagree. A lot of people call Mauresmo a choker but I think Lindsay Davenport is the biggest choker in the top 10 right now she just can't seem to win the big events anymore. Lindsay blew that Australian Open final and her excuse was exhaustion. At Wimbledon she served for the match (prior to her so called back injury and had a chance in the second set tiebreaker) She even had a match point. Excuses Excuses. Lindsay lost fair and square. And today Lindsay was the one that opened her big mouth saying it would be hard for Hingis to reach the top and now look whose's laughing now. Lindsay lost because Hingis is a lot smarter then most players on the tour. Hingis used her superior mobility to move Lindsay on a string around the court. No excuses today Lindsay lost and Martina won and I'm glad. I never liked Davenport and I think she really is finished.

·
26,927 Posts
Well, one thing is for sure: This is an extremely bad start of the year for Lindsay.
Three tournaments and no finals appearance, and all on her fave surface.

This might be the beginning of the end.

22,716 Posts
Who cares if she loses every other match she plays this year!

She's still had a great career, what other players do you know of that have stayed at the top virtually all their career with no slumps, with the exception of injury breaks?

As it stands, this year she's lost to Henin-Hardenne, Sharapova & Hingis - all in three sets...

When she starts losing to Benesova or Pennetta in straights, then its time to worry :angel:

·
Premium Member
4,866 Posts
The Daviator said:
Who cares if she loses every other match she plays this year!

She's still had a great career, what other players do you know of that have stayed at the top virtually all their career with no slumps, with the exception of injury breaks?

As it stands, this year she's lost to Henin-Hardenne, Sharapova & Hingis - all in three sets...

When she starts losing to Benesova or Pennetta in straights, then its time to worry :angel:
You know that Lindsay cares.

Lindsay was having better results than this in 2003, and she was so upset that she was thinking about quitting. Losing match after match to any top five player (or now, below that) will not keep her around.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Lindsay had a good career but to win only 3 slams I think that says a lot how fragile she is mentally. Again Lindsay has a lot of WTA titles, and been no.1 but in the big pressure slam or big match situations iin the past 6 years she has failed. And that is why Lindsay hasn't won a major since the 2000 Australian Open. She probably got tight today against Lindsay and went for too many big shots. Lindsay never used her size well.

22,716 Posts
Morrissey said:
Well we will have to agree to disagree. A lot of people call Mauresmo a choker but I think Lindsay Davenport is the biggest choker in the top 10 right now she just can't seem to win the big events anymore. Lindsay blew that Australian Open final and her excuse was exhaustion. At Wimbledon she served for the match (prior to her so called back injury and had a chance in the second set tiebreaker) She even had a match point. Excuses Excuses. Lindsay lost fair and square. And today Lindsay was the one that opened her big mouth saying it would be hard for Hingis to reach the top and now look whose's laughing now. Lindsay lost because Hingis is a lot smarter then most players on the tour. Hingis used her superior mobility to move Lindsay on a string around the court. No excuses today Lindsay lost and Martina won and I'm glad. I never liked Davenport and I think she really is finished.
You're an idiot PolarisGalaxy! This is Dav from the BBC boards, you know the one that punks your arse every day?

Davenport said that she ALWAYS believed that Hingis could come back and compete at the top, so stop spinning lies!

I'm tired of arguing with you about her 'choking', and as for you never liking her, well, why don't you shut up about her! Because she's all you post about! I have a feeling you'll be real sorry when she does leave, you'll have nothing to bitch about, will you PG!

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Andrew.. said:
You know that Lindsay cares.

Lindsay was having better results than this in 2003, and she was so upset that she was thinking about quitting. Losing match after match to any top five player (or now, below that) will not keep her around.
She does care but she will likely say what she said at the Australian Open, I still feel I am getting better.
She is getting better.
Movement is still improving. Slice is better.
Tactics could be better but that is what the new coach is for.

22,716 Posts
Morrissey said:
Lindsay had a good career but to win only 3 slams I think that says a lot how fragile she is mentally. Again Lindsay has a lot of WTA titles, and been no.1 but in the big pressure slam or big match situations iin the past 6 years she has failed. And that is why Lindsay hasn't won a major since the 2000 Australian Open. She probably got tight today against Lindsay and went for too many big shots. Lindsay never used her size well.
You must have a high opinion of her then, to think that she should have won more Slams!

When she started out, she was fat and clumsy, and no-one thought she'd excell, but she's won 3/4 Slams, the Olympics, and has ended the year ranked 4th FOUR times! She'll shortly become the highest-earning female player ever also, will you give her credit for that? I thought not. She's an OVER-achiever Polaris...

Now why don't you head off to MTF and spread some gay rumours about some of the top male players, because you've said all you can say regarding Lindsay...

·
Banned
6,444 Posts
Lindsay has a buldging disk confirmed by MRI.

Mary Jo said that after Miami, Lindsay is taking a few weeks off until Wimbledon. Hence, I guess Lindsay is skipping the French?

·
Premium Member
4,866 Posts
Wannabeknowitall said:
She does care but she will likely say what she said at the Australian Open, I still feel I am getting better.
She is getting better.
Movement is still improving. Slice is better.
Tactics could be better but that is what the new coach is for.
I don't understand the strategy today. Getting into net more was good, but alot of the time she was just banging the ball for a winner brainlessly, and just overall used very poor shot selection.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
'She usually does well in these events. I'm starting to worry too and the fact that she doesn't want to play too many touraments and all. The attitude is still bad. The end is indeed nearing :(

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
The Daviator said:

Exactly. Lindsay has lost only tight matches to good players so she shouldn't be written off just yet She was also struggling with her back today which didn't help.

·
Premium Member
4,866 Posts
The Daviator said:
You must have a high opinion of her then, to think that she should have won more Slams!

When she started out, she was fat and clumsy, and no-one thought she'd excell, but she's won 3/4 Slams, the Olympics, and has ended the year ranked 4th FOUR times! She'll shortly become the highest-earning female player ever also, will you give her credit for that? I thought not. She's an OVER-achiever Polaris...

Now why don't you head off to MTF and spread some gay rumours about some of the top male players, because you've said all you can say regarding Lindsay...
She's had a great career, nobody is saying otherwise. But that's not the point of this thread.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts