Tennis Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess what - injuries or no injuries, the USOpen winner who wins 7 matches at "the toughest tournament in tennis" is still going to walk away with a million bux. There is still going to be a full 128 draw. There are always a couple of players out injured. Except for Serena being out as defending champ, this injury stuff is a non-story. Capriati, Clisters, Henin and Venus are all strong USO contenders, and there are some dark horses too. But no matter what happens, I predict it will be the most interesting USOpen since the year of "The Bump" and the "Tall White Turkey." I'm going for at least 4 days and I'm definitely gonna enjoy the show...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,570 Posts
Yeah, in terms of the Open, the only true contender missing at this point is Serena. Let's see what happens as the Open nears, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,516 Posts
jenglisbe said:
Yeah, in terms of the Open, the only true contender missing at this point is Serena. Let's see what happens as the Open nears, though.
I don't think the injuries will affect who shows up and who does not, but it may result in some early round upsets. Capriati may go out early if she can't hit with her bad shoulder. Clijsters may be flat out exhausted and fall before the semifinals. Davenport's bad toe may send her packing before the second week. If Venus's abdominal strain is still acting up she probably won't make it till the quarterfinals. Hantuchova and her personal problems will very likely not see her past round 2. Myskina never brings her best tennis to Flushing and will likely falter in round 3. Chanda is injured as well and will probably fall in round 4. Mauresmo is healthy, but also extremely rusty and may fall in round 4 or the quarters if she is lucky.

So what does this mean? Maria Sharapova coming out party. You watch. She'll reach the quarters or semis. If Venus is healthy, it means she finally breaks out and wins a grand slam title.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,307 Posts
I disagree this is not the toughest tournament in tennis.

As far as slams go hat would be RG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,570 Posts
What's toughest depends on each player. The U.S. Open is normally the toughest for, say, Henin-Hardenne, whereas the French Open is her best major. Serena, though, has the toughest time at the French Open. Zvonereva would love every major to be at RG, though.

I would say the Open consistently crowns the best champions. Rarely do you have one-major wonders at the Open (no Iva Majolis here). In the past 20 years, the only female player I can think of whose only major was a singular U.S. Open is Sabatini; she's hardly a marginal player considering she reached other major finals. The only male player whose only major has been a single U.S. Open is Marat Safin, and barring injury he could easily win a few more. No Ivanisevic's or Muster's or Krajicek's here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,951 Posts
Great pre-emptive strike vogus, just in case someone not named Williams wins the Open.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,657 Posts
jenglisbe said:
What's toughest depends on each player. The U.S. Open is normally the toughest for, say, Henin-Hardenne, whereas the French Open is her best major. Serena, though, has the toughest time at the French Open. Zvonereva would love every major to be at RG, though.

I would say the Open consistently crowns the best champions. Rarely do you have one-major wonders at the Open (no Iva Majolis here). In the past 20 years, the only female player I can think of whose only major was a singular U.S. Open is Sabatini; she's hardly a marginal player considering she reached other major finals. The only male player whose only major has been a single U.S. Open is Marat Safin, and barring injury he could easily win a few more. No Ivanisevic's or Muster's or Krajicek's here.
Krajiceck wasn´t THAT bad!! Ask Pete how good Richard was!! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,570 Posts
bandabou - I'm not saying Richard was bad, but did he even reach a SF at a major other than Wimbledon? My point was simply to say the winners of the U.S. Open are nearly always great players (using winners of multiple majors as a guide). There are rarely one-major wonders at the Open, and even those winners are players who have made finals in other majors.

Krajicek, Majoli, Johansson, Muster, etc. all won one major, and it was also their only appearance in a final of a major.

Joana - I don't think Majoli's title was a fluke, but she also isn't one of the great players of our time. That French win remains her only appearance in a major SF, final, and win. That doesn't happen at the U.S. Open.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Clisters is the player with the most to lose. She's been beating the crap out of the rest of the tour all year at tournaments like the JPMorgan where the stands aren't even 1/3 full for the final. This is her last chance this year to prove she's legit (winning the Tour championships again in L.A. won't make up for a year with no GS titles). IMO if Kim doesn't withdraw from Toronto this week and ends up reaching yet another hardcourt warmup final, it's her own fault if she runs out of gas at Flushing Meadows. When you've proven yourself as many times at non-GS tournies as Clisters has, but come up short when it really counts the most, you need to re-think your scheduling priorities.

The Open could be a coming-out party for Sharapova, but also for somebody different, if Sharapova drops the ball. I know it's a long shot, but I'm a big fan of Shenay Perry, who at a ranking of 146 is a lock for getting a WC. If you haven't seen this girl play, you need to. She's not a big basher, just an amazing natural talent who shows a lot of artistry on the court, and sneaky power when she needs it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,516 Posts
vogus said:
The Open could be a coming-out party for Sharapova, but also for somebody different, if Sharapova drops the ball. I know it's a long shot, but I'm a big fan of Shenay Perry, who at a ranking of 146 is a lock for getting a WC. If you haven't seen this girl play, you need to. She's not a big basher, just an amazing natural talent who shows a lot of artistry on the court, and sneaky power when she needs it.
I love Shenay's game as well, but I'm not quite sure if she is ready for the main tour. She has had one main draw appearance and she lost to Tamarine Tanasugarn on clay, which quite honestly is really hard to do. She has a lovely all court style, but she has Patty Schnyder's problem in that because she can hit every shot in the book, it will take her a couple of years to begin to utilize those talents and figure out what shots to hit at the right time. Her backhand also needs a lot of work, it's going to be very hard to win with just a slice backhand. When she comes over it, it's very inconsistent. That being said, Shenay could win a round, MAYBE two if she draws somebody like Stevenson in the 2nd round. However, at this point I think she'll exit pretty quietly in the first round.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
27,238 Posts
i disagree also, i think the toughest slam is Wimbledon ;)

this USO WILL be interesting....Andre, Andy, Roger...one of these guys HAS to win it!

as for the womens....top 4 ranked to make the semis. yea, never seen that before ;) but seriously...im looking forward to seeing my lower ranked girls. so i guess week 1 is my week for the women
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah, i was going to say that too, Shenay reminds me of Patty - odd because unlike Patty, Shenay is of course right-handed, and she has a one-handed backhand. But their games have that same natural, easy "flow" that is rare in women's tennis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,737 Posts
if serena's still the only one who has pulled out, i'd say everyone will still play and be okay (as long as no toronto or new haven injuries occur). this field with slight injuries is very open, however. someone like seles or capriati could take the title. sharapova could get really far, or venus could come roaring back. i know i'll be watching...
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top