Tennis Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

World number nine Jelena Dokic won her first match of the year at the Open Gaz de France, beating Cristina Torrens Valero 6-3 6-2.

The 18-year-old Yugoslav, who bypassed the Australian Open, lost in last week's Pan Pacific Open in Tokyo to Anne Kremer of Luxembourg.

But she needed just 42 minutes to see off her Spanish opponent in the indoor event in Paris.

Second seed Justine Henin of Belgium had a much tougher time, saving two match points before beating French wild card Nathalie Dechy 6-4 3-6 7-6.
Fourth seed Dokic broke in the eighth game against Torrens Valero and secured the first set with precision drop-shot.

She overwhelmed Torrens Valero in the second and wrapped up victory with a deep volley.

"She's in the top 30 so to beat her that comfortably has given me confidence," Dokic said.

"I kept my concentration. I just kept playing, which I didn't do last week," she said.

"If I can serve like that in every match I'll be happy," she said.

She will meet eighth seed Elena Dementieva in the quarter-finals after the Russian beat Germany's Greta Arn in three sets.

Meanwhile, Kremer - Dokic's conqueror in Japan - was beaten in straight sets by Sandra Farina Elia of Italy.

Henin looked in deep trouble against Dechy, going 3-1 down in the final set after dropping the second with a string of unforced errors and double faults.

The Belgian fought her way back to go into a tie-break and was forced to save two match points with some superb returning, before winning it 10-8 on her third match point.

"With my heart and my will I was able to dig deep. Without that I think I'd be out of this tournament tonight," said Henin.

"I take my hat off to Nathalie, who played a great match."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts