Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/05/27/1053801396616.html


Jelena Dokic, the 10th seed from Serbia and Montenegro, made a winning start to her French Open campaign yesterday and admitted that she was tempted by an offer to return to play again for Australia.

Tennis Australia had said that it would welcome the 20-year-old back to play for it in next year's Athens Olympics, and she revealed that she was seriously considering it.

Dokic had vowed never to represent Australia again after she severed ties with her adopted country more than two years ago over media clashes with her notorious father Damir.

But she could change her mind after being told she was ineligible to represent Serbia and Montenegro, formerly Yugoslavia, in Athens next year.

"I'm sure they (Tennis Australia) would love me to go back. I think it would be a great thing for Australian tennis too. I'm thinking about it," said Dokic after she advanced to the second round here with a 6-4 6-4 win over German newcomer Angelika Roesch.


"It's in my mind and a thing that I would consider.

"The Olympics is still a year away, but within six months it would have to be decided whether to play Fed Cup and Olympics.

"I'd love to play the Olympics again. It only happens every four years.

"It's not a huge thing in tennis. You're going more for the Grand Slams, but it's just a great event just to mix with other athletes, other people."

Dokic was a semi-finalist in the Sydney Olympics and lost the bronze medal match to Monica Seles of the United States.

"It's something that I'm keeping to myself. If I decide to do it I will do it myself, no one else will push me into it. I would have to feel comfortable first of all," said Dokic, who next meets Slovenia's Tina Pisnik.
 
  • Like
Reactions: CanIGetAWhat

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had to laugh at the bit where Jelena says its great to 'mis with the other athletes etc'..

THis coming from the girl who's demands before Sydney 2000 included being allowed to stay away from the Olympic village???

I personally hope she stays away, its bad enough we have to watch matches including Wayne Arthurs at grand slams, and I would hate for our coverage to be centred around Dokic's matches...

At least with her current form we wouldnt be forced to endure watching her late into the tournaments....
 
  • Like
Reactions: VivalaSeles

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,306 Posts
Czechfan,I would NOT want to watch Arthurs either!!.....As for Dokic if the Aussie's don't want her back I wish she would consider Canada :D ...our players are sooo pathetic and whiney that Dokic would look like Navratilova,the Williams Deux,and Seles all rapped into one. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,228 Posts
dokic, :rolleyes: , always changing, why doesn't she changes to play for china instead :rolleyes: :devil:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
54 Posts
Thats because she lived in Sydney back then Czcheckfan. She doesnt see her family or home for a whole year and she is refused to spend 2 weeks in her own home!!! U r so slack!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,187 Posts
yeah Dokic, play for OZ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hecuba2 - Yes she lived in sydney back then, so why would she want to stay at the family home when all the athletes are meant to stay in the village together??? Especially given her quoate about what she loves about the olympics being how all the athletes are together etc..

Im so over the whole issue, she can come back or stay away, I dont give much of a shit, I just hope they wont show matches like Dokic vs magui Serna like they did at Wimbledon 99 or 2K...I was SO Pissed off when they left Hingis vs Williams for Dokic vs Serna...

If they go back to treating her like they do Hewitt when it comes to match coverage, Ill be pissed off!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,727 Posts
Hecuba2 said:
Thats because she lived in Sydney back then Czcheckfan. She doesnt see her family or home for a whole year and she is refused to spend 2 weeks in her own home!!! U r so slack!!!
Yes .... this is the exact reason! She wasn't too far from the stadium anyway (her house) and her Brother and one of her parents was not travelling with her for the most part of 2000 so it is only fair that she is allowed to stay at her home, and eat her familys food, and sleep in her own bed etc etc.

+ Im sick of ppl saying she always changes Countrys. She changed once ppl!! From AUS to YUG .... the change to Serbia/Montenegro was not a decision ... it wasn't even a change as the country just changed names .... also her apparent consideration to change to British was a piece of bull that Damir pulled out of his backside.

She has said that the decision to leave OZ was her fathers and that she had wished to remain. So now she has her own choice, why are ppl saying she shouldn't be allowed to go where she wants?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont accept that wanting to stay with her parents is an acceptable reason for being the ONLY athlete in a whole TEAM of athletes who needed special treatment/consideration...and my only point is that it contradicts the statement ""It's not a huge thing in tennis. You're going more for the Grand Slams, but it's just a great event just to mix with other athletes, other people."

I think Damir probably forced jelena to stay there, he was probably too scared she would fuck one of the other athletes, and we know that NOONE is good enough for jelena according to Damir...

God knows if I was in the Olympics and my events were over, Id be shagging myself silly with the other athletes lol
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,007 Posts
It will not happen.

She is not wanted in Australia by the MAJORITY of the GENERAL PUBLIC, not just tennis fans. If Tennis Australia wants to retain there corporate sponsorship they better listen to the public. If they do not know the term KING ISLAND, they will find out very quickly if she is allowed to play for this country ever again.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
151 Posts
all i can say to this is "ohai" and come back jelena.

and i agree wid u hecuba 2 (from passions-aren't u dead yet?!) all aussuies love her and there is no new raw talent coming through and it will take molkik at least 3-4 years to get her game together.

vamos jelena, vamos! :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,187 Posts
Flatstat said:
It will not happen.

She is not wanted in Australia by the MAJORITY of the GENERAL PUBLIC, not just tennis fans. If Tennis Australia wants to retain there corporate sponsorship they better listen to the public. If they do not know the term KING ISLAND, they will find out very quickly if she is allowed to play for this country ever again.
how do you know??? you can't go by that poll because it was VERY BIASED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was a call in poll and obviously the people that call in have strong feelings about the subject, and obviously the people who have a very negative felling towards it called more. and not everybody has phones. and to get a proper survey, they would have had to called a random sample of people and surveyed them, then it would have been a proper survey.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,007 Posts
Naldo said:
how do you know??? you can't go by that poll because it was VERY BIASED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was a call in poll and obviously the people that call in have strong feelings about the subject, and obviously the people who have a very negative felling towards it called more. and not everybody has phones. and to get a proper survey, they would have had to called a random sample of people and surveyed them, then it would have been a proper survey.
So the poll you are referring too is not valid because "obviously the people who have a very negative felling towards it called more".

How would you know that?
How do you know what the make up of the callers were?
How do you know that the callers were not a random sample of the public?
How do you know that the number of participaters who supported Jelena does not relate to the general consensus of her support with the people who did not participate?

It could very well of been stacked against Jelena as you claim, then it also very much may not of been.

In the end we have the poll results v your claims of "Bias".

I know what I believe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,058 Posts
sorry flatstat but the fact is that if she wins and plays for australia then people will want her back. australians are pretty forgiving people and when jelena acknowledged that it was her father's decision for them to leave and that she loved playing for australia i think that most australian forgave her.

i am not a dokic fan, but the fact is that it would be good for australian tennis to have her back, because the women's game gets no press in australia and we need a player who has the ability (not at moment i know) to win grand-slams. i know molik is playing well but the fact is that it is not like she is about to win a significant tournament any time soon and she is so injury prone. you can talk up juniors and everything but that has been going on for decades and has created the situation where a girl making the fourth round of the australian like pratt did the best performance in like 10 years!

also czech fan, you are comparing the words of a 17 year old who was heavily influenced by her father to an emancipated 20 year old and making out like there is no difference between the two people. a lot changes in three years.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,007 Posts
switz said:
sorry flatstat but the fact is that if she wins and plays for australia then people will want her back. australians are pretty forgiving people and when jelena acknowledged that it was her father's decision for them to leave and that she loved playing for australia i think that most australian forgave her.

i am not a dokic fan, but the fact is that it would be good for australian tennis to have her back, because the women's game gets no press in australia and we need a player who has the ability (not at moment i know) to win grand-slams. i know molik is playing well but the fact is that it is not like she is about to win a significant tournament any time soon and she is so injury prone. you can talk up juniors and everything but that has been going on for decades and has created the situation where a girl making the fourth round of the australian like pratt did the best performance in like 10 years!

also czech fan, you are comparing the words of a 17 year old who was heavily influenced by her father to an emancipated 20 year old and making out like there is no difference between the two people. a lot changes in three years.
There is more to it then what has been discussed here. She has alienated certain sections of the Australian public, who are not as "Forgiving". Besides that, you only have to look back through Australian History to see we will forgive almost anything, except for denouncing Australia, just ask Helen Reddy who still recieves the cold shoulder some 25 years on after doing the same as Dokic. Jelena will never be forgiven, nor will she ever enjoy national support in this country, no matter how dire how tennis stocks are.
 
  • Like
Reactions: WasKirt
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Top