Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dokic strongly contemplating return to Australia


May 27, 2003
By Eleanor Preston
SportsTicker Contributing Writer

PARIS (Ticker) - Jelena Dokic may become an Australian player again.

The continent-hopping Dokic indicated her desire to change nationalities following Monday's 6-4, 6-4 thrashing of Germany's Angelika Roesch in the first round of the French Open.

ADVERTISEMENT


"It's something I definitely will consider, it's in my mind," said Dokic, who is seeded 10th here. "It's something I'm thinking about."

Dokic was born in Serbia but played under Australian colors after her family emigrated there in 1994. She turned her back on the country in 2001 and reverted to what was then Yugoslavia after her father and coach, Damir, had a falling-out with Australia's tennis federation.

Now, the 20-year-old Dokic is contemplating a return Down Under.

"I'm sure they would love me to go back," she said. "I think it would be a great thing for Australian tennis. No one is going to influence my decision. No one else will push me into it."

Dokic's change of heart stems from her decision late last year to break away from her parents. She no longer is coached by her father but by Heinz Gunthardt, who worked with Steffi Graf for the last nine years of her career.

Making her own decisions about her life and future, Dokic is under pressure to make a decision in the next two months if she wants to fulfill her ambition of playing in the 2004 Olympics in Athens, Greece.

Under International Tennis Federation Rules, Dokic would have to play Fed Cup for Australia before the end of this year and again in 2004 to be eligible to play for Australia in the Olympics.

Australia's only remaining 2003 Fed Cup is in July, a potentially tough meeting with Colombia in New South Wales that it must win to keep its place in the World Group. Tennis Australia recently released a statement saying it would welcome back Dokic with open arms.

"I'd love to play the Olympics," she said. "I played it when I was young and it was a good experience for me. It would be a great thing to play the Olympics, to mix with the other athletes. It's one of the biggest events in the world."

Dokic reached the semifinals of the 2000 Olympics in Australia, losing to Monica Seles in the bronze medal match. She reached the quarterfinals here last year but still is looking for her first Grand Slam title.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,820 Posts
I've already posted a few times on this subject and my views havn't changed. If she is going to play for Australia then that is fine, as long as she is doing it for the right reasons....not just to get a free plane ticket to Athens, but because she loves the country and wants to be a contributing citizen again. I am yet to find one person I know that I have discussed it with that wants her....generally the response is "She should piss-off"...."We don't want her" or "They should revoke her passport". There are too many factors to look at...so gonna put it in the too-hard basket :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,226 Posts
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
Kirt12255 said:
I've already posted a few times on this subject and my views havn't changed. If she is going to play for Australia then that is fine, as long as she is doing it for the right reasons....not just to get a free plane ticket to Athens, but because she loves the country and wants to be a contributing citizen again. I am yet to find one person I know that I have discussed it with that wants her....generally the response is "She should piss-off"...."We don't want her" or "They should revoke her passport". There are too many factors to look at...so gonna put it in the too-hard basket :p
I agree. I think we should take her back if she shows she's willing to pay her taxes and be loyal to our country. I think its narrow minded to say we shouldn't let her in just coz of what she did under the influence of daddy. With the state Australian womens tennis is in, we kinda need her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,820 Posts
kell said:
I agree. I think we should take her back if she shows she's willing to pay her taxes and be loyal to our country. I think its narrow minded to say we shouldn't let her in just coz of what she did under the influence of daddy. With the state Australian womens tennis is in, we kinda need her.
We sure do!!!! :wavey: Hiya BTW Kell...long time no see...am still weeping over Molik LOL :sad: Watch out Wimbledon...here comes Molik..!!!!! (I hope)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,007 Posts
stephano hair said:
Come Back Jelena! We Will Always Love U And Welcome U Back!

Vamos Jelena, Vamos! :d
That is a funny comment coming from a supposed American ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,950 Posts
is she being up herself when she says she thinks it will be a great thing for australian tennis or is she trying to be objective?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,950 Posts
i'm not sure sure how much it would help australian tennis because of how she left but also because she was at the top when she left and has stayed there so the effect may have already worn off the australian public.

i don't care whether she plays for australia or not. i was a bit of a fan before she left. i like a player for their game not for what country they do or their personality or the mistakes they have made off court.

if she gets into form it could really help australia in the fed cup and the olympics which is a bonus we probably won't get if she doesn't come back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
Gowza said:
i'm not sure sure how much it would help australian tennis because of how she left but also because she was at the top when she left and has stayed there so the effect may have already worn off the australian public.

i don't care whether she plays for australia or not. i was a bit of a fan before she left. i like a player for their game not for what country they do or their personality or the mistakes they have made off court.

if she gets into form it could really help australia in the fed cup and the olympics which is a bonus we probably won't get if she doesn't come back.
She's already helped Australian women's tennis just by causing all this controversy. Even negative attention has its benifits. Even when Alicia is playing well, there's never anything in the media about her except for tiny snippets at the back of sports sections. But as soon as the smallest, unconfirmed romour about Jelena returning came, there was suddenly a flood of stuff about women's tennis in the papers. And a lot of it was very postive about Molik and Pratt. :)

And if she comes back I guess all you blokes will be very happy :p

Hi Kirt! :wavey:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152,750 Posts
Sam L said:
LOL @ Carkeyboi. Your little animated gif is stuck! LOL :eek:

I hope Jelena comes back to Australia, she'll be welcomed.
Not by everyone...depends what her reasons are!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
16,998 Posts
hope dont australians are cheers for boos now her--sad it would be--maybe cry--maybe not
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top