Tennis Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dokic, Pistolesi Advance in Warsaw Cup
Wed April 30, 2003 01:48 PM ET

WARSAW (Reuters) - Fourth seed Yugoslav Jelena Dokic advanced to the third round of the $700,000 Warsaw Cup on Wednesday after a tough 7-5, 7-6 win over Switzerland's Myriam Casanovas.
Israel's Anna Pistolesi, seeded seventh, breezed by Jill Craybas of the United States, 6-0, 7-5, to join Dokic in the third round of the Warsaw tournament, where top seeds Venus Williams and Amelie Mauersmo have yet to play a match.

Dokic, 20, needed four match points to finally put away her hard hitting Swiss opponent 14-12 in the second set tiebreaker.

"The match was tight and I am happy with the win, physically and mentally. She was not easy to play against, not giving me much rhythm," Dokic said.

The Yugoslav, whose world ranking had fallen to 11 after a string of sub-par performances this year, battled back from 4-1 down in the first set against Casanovas, who is coached by the mother of former number one Martina Hingis.

"I haven't done as well as I wanted to this year and this is a match that I'm happy with...I feel like my game is coming back," said Dokic, whose world ranking peaked at four last year.

Russia's 10th seed Tatiana Panova bowed out, 6-2, 6-1, to Czech newcomer Sandra Kleinova in their first round match.

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
I feel like my game is coming back," said Dokic

:)

·
63,527 Posts
selesfan said:
What is wrong with Panova? Has she won a match since beating Jennifer? :confused:
Yes, of course! She did won two matches at the Australian Open.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts