Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
good luck...
i think we are pretty full with sam, alicia, sophie, casey, pratty...

·
Registered
8,260 Posts
I don't think Australia needs the 685th player in the World in the squad, do they? Molik, Stosur, Dellacqua, Pratt, Ferguson, Adamczak & Stubbs would all be ahead of her in the designation, and as far as I know they're all pretty keen on playing for their country.

Good luck, 685th player.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tripp said:
I don't think Australia needs the 685th player in the World in the squad, do they? Molik, Stosur, Dellacqua, Pratt, Ferguson, Adamczak & Stubbs would all be ahead of her in the designation, and as far as I know they're all pretty keen on playing for their country.

Good luck, 685th player.
It's not about whether Australia needs her. It's about Jelena showing an intention to represent her country is so needed and thus evincing a national loyalty.

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
she never makes smart decisions. David Taylor did great work with Molik - she needs a coach with some stability. Iva was a great player but i suspect her brother wasn't the reason why.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Its great that Jelena wants to play Fed Cup for AUS and she had great victories fro AUS in fed cup, personally Jelena maybe should think a bit harder and consider working with David its true he did amazing work on Alicia, maybe its a time issue for Jelena she wants to play becuase she knows the level she was at and what level she is at now. Jelena ultimatley decides her own fate and we as fans have to respect that. By the way as if David Taylor and AUS Fed Cup team don't need Jelena, she would be a great asset as a hitting partner as well as if David chooses to put in lower ranked players like Casey and Sophie, Jelena could tell them there is nothing to fear, like when she played her first Fed Cup match at 15

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
switz said:
she never makes smart decisions. David Taylor did great work with Molik - she needs a coach with some stability. Iva was a great player but i suspect her brother wasn't the reason why.
I agree. It would have been great for her to work with David. But I think the fundamental reason for her declining the offer was that she'd have to live in Australia. Not to mention the fact that David coaches Alicia and is the Fed Cup captain. Jelena has said in the past that she needs a coach who is willing to dedicate 100% of their time and effort to her. I'm not sure if this would have been possible in the case of David Taylor.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
jd4eva said:
I agree. It would have been great for her to work with David. But I think the fundamental reason for her declining the offer was that she'd have to live in Australia. Not to mention the fact that David coaches Alicia and is the Fed Cup captain. Jelena has said in the past that she needs a coach who is willing to dedicate 100% of their time and effort to her. I'm not sure if this would have been possible in the case of David Taylor.
well why be an australian citizen if you dont live in australia (atleast some of the time)?

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
to me jelena and alicia are to diff players so i'm not sure david could do anything but i think that if she live in australia thatit would bring her some stabilty which is what i think she needs the most

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mr_Molik said:
well why be an australian citizen if you dont live in australia (atleast some of the time)?
I never knew that you had to stay in Australia in order to be an Australian citizen. Plenty of Australian players live overseas for the entire season. Pat Rafter used to live in Bermuda. It's not uncommon. Australia is a highly problematic base for a tennis player. Travelling becomes very difficult and laborious. The only conceivable period of time she could stay in Australia for a sustained period of time would be in the off-season and it certainly would not be to Jelena's advantage to work with a coach for 1 month of the year and then sporadically thereafter.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
jd4eva said:
I never knew that you had to stay in Australia in order to be an Australian citizen. Plenty of Australian players live overseas for the entire season. Pat Rafter used to live in Bermuda. It's not uncommon. Australia is a highly problematic base for a tennis player. Travelling becomes very difficult and laborious. The only conceivable period of time she could stay in Australia for a sustained period of time would be in the off-season and it certainly would not be to Jelena's advantage to work with a coach for 1 month of the year and then sporadically thereafter.
i know but most players still have a base in australia aswell as in USA/wherever to come to during off season/injuries/time off.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mr_Molik said:
i know but most players still have a base in australia aswell as in USA/wherever to come to during off season/injuries/time off.
Are your comprehension skills lacking?

Like I already stated: the only time it would be expedient to be in Australia would be during the off-season. The off-season is approximately one month out of the year. How on earth do you expect her to employ a coach who can only coach her 1 month a year, and even then he coaches another player and the entire Fed Cup Squad?

How on earth would she train if she had injuries? Furthermore, why would she fly all the way to the other side of the world to recuperate for injuries when the majority of tournaments she plays are in Europe and she easily recover here?

Australia is highly inexpedient as a base for a tennis player. Travelling is quite difficult and very expensive. It would simply have not been a good logistical arrangement for her. Jelena needs to work intensively on her game and needs someoen to travel with her full time (which is why her arrangement with Lesley Bowrey didn't work). David Taylor just simply couldn't provide her with that.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
sam and alicia are great for australia, sophie is a fighter and is a good assest as well. the only recent match i've seen of jelena is the one at AO this year, her problem is almost completely mental. she was hitting the ball well at least in the first 2 sets, as well as someone in the top 50 at least it's just something must happen mentally that puts a wall up when it comes to the winning part. if she can fix that i don't see any reason why she wouldn't be picked ahead of Dellacqua, Pratt, Ferguson, Adamczak and maybe stubbs (obviously depends on who they want for doubles and if sam and alicia can suffice, and being that now they are both doubles slam winners besdies the fatigue factor from singles they should be a grat doubles team but that's where if jelena fixes her mental game she could come in very handy and play some singles).

but putting dokic in as orange girl wouldn't be so bad, might do her some good if she practices with talented players like alicia and sam.

·
63,542 Posts
I don't mind her to play Fed Cup for Australia but I can't see her representing Australia this year or next year. Maybe in two years time if she regroup her A-game (2001).

·
Registered
886 Posts
With Jelena and how people say the whole problem is mental, the question is how can she fix it to make sure that she gets back to 2001 form. I for one would love to see this and there is evidence to support this claim with three tight three set losses (Auckland, Aus Open and Wimbledon Qualies), if she wins a couple of these matches do we think that she will regain top form, I think a little is that the game has changed a bit and Jelena may be struggling with this aspect as well. Anyways we all wait eagerly to see what she does next.

·
Registered
12,035 Posts
Mr_Molik said:
good luck...
i think we are pretty full with sam, alicia
Stop there.

·
63,542 Posts
JDLover said:
With Jelena and how people say the whole problem is mental, the question is how can she fix it to make sure that she gets back to 2001 form. I for one would love to see this and there is evidence to support this claim with three tight three set losses (Auckland, Aus Open and Wimbledon Qualies), if she wins a couple of these matches do we think that she will regain top form, I think a little is that the game has changed a bit and Jelena may be struggling with this aspect as well. Anyways we all wait eagerly to see what she does next.
Um, Julia Schruff played crap in Auckland. Virginie Razzano played crap in Melbourne. Alexandra Stevenson played better than Jelena Dokic in Rockhampton.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts